1st Gen R53 Cooper S TSW mount and BSH mount

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by west7, Feb 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Dave O. and Jiminni I have a barn that yall go out behind and sort your differences if need be. yall sound like two littel kids. I take it yall don't really like one another huh?

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So why you dragging up old shite after nearly two months? We are done with it :cool:

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    cause I foud it hiliariousn that the two of you were acting like my two teenage sons. I did not bring it back up, someone before me did yesterday.

4. majjyc

majjyc New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Vibratechnics Mounts 2003 R50 CVT

About 2 weeks ago, I replaced my original upper and lower mounts with the VT Road. I must say the build quality was incredible. When I try to gauge vibration on both they seem to isolate very well. I also did the powerflex inserts for the transmission mount and the top rear mount. That may have been overkill as I'm getting crazy NVH at idle between 900 and 1200 RPM. Turning off A/C Helps as well as shifting into neutral.

Now here's the question. Am I really getting any benefit from the upper inserts with the new VT mount? Will taking them out make a big difference in isolation or should I just wait longer for them to settle? Likewise, for the transmission mount inserts, I was thinking of just getting some fresh rubber stops (the little wing pieces you take out) or trying the hitemp silicone method.

Any opinions from someone who has used the VT mounts?

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #65 Dave.0, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    I have the VT upper and VT lower mounts and I had no MVH. but I added the Powerflex Polly inserts and now I have MVH again. Ugh

Looks like I will be buying the last VT mount the (Tranny mount) from Colin soon.

My friend Mendra has installed all 3 VT mounts on his car and it is very nice now.

You can find the tranny Mount here: Mini Cooper S R53 04 06 - Vibra-Technics Compliance Technology

Trans mount
    [​IMG]

Upper mount
    [​IMG]

Lower mount
    [​IMG]

6. majjyc

majjyc New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    #66 majjyc, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    I would have gotten that trans mount too but I am stuck with the OEM as it is a CVT and the mount is different. Where did you do the powerflex? The transmission only or the upper rear bracket near the strut tower as well?

7. majjyc

majjyc New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Did you notice any performance difference between just the VT top and bottom mounts and then both mounts + the powerflex?

8. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The concerns of safety regarding the modified BSH lower mount are nullified after seeing what VT is comfortable with material wise for a lower mount. This is of course purely my opinion.

The amount of material milled away from a pretty solid hunk of billet would still have a more significant amount of strength.

The upper mount looks excellent.. hope my stock damper lasts more than 6 months, but the VT is a nice looking piece.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Performance differences like?

Less to no MVH Yes
    Added HP or Tq No
    Less motor movement Yes

When I added the Powerflex polly inserts to the OEM trans mount I got my MVH back again. :mad2:

I will be replacing the OEM mount w/PF Polly inserts with the VT complete trans mount.

10. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: If you break that mount, you must have hit a brick wall :lol:

11. majjyc

majjyc New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave. Since I can't get a VT transmission mount for my CVT, I think I will remove the powerflex transmission inserts and see if it quiets things down a bit.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah removing them should settle things down for you.

13. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    My upper rear mount is beginning to get some small age cracks starting so I plan on going with the TSW mount in front of it and getting a new stock upper rear mount and get the Polyurethane inserts that go in the groves in the rubber and doing the same on the lower engine mount. I want to do the same for the trans. mount but haven't been able to find one on WMW site or Out Motoring site or the site that Nathan told me about the stop cable for the belt tensioner. My tensioner has some oil on it so I don't know if it is leaking or from a small leak elsewhere but I will probably replace it and do the polyurethane bushings on it when I put the S/C and A.T.I. Super pulley on. I don't mind a little NVH and am more than willing to live with that and have the motor and trans. moving all over the place and having a engine mount go bad all of a sudden.

14. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I really don't think the Powerflex inserts do much?