Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S TSW mount woes :-(

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jeffster06, Aug 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Today I received all my new engine mounts. TSW upper mount. BSH lower and powerflex transmission insert. All was going well until it came time to torque the lower bolt on the TSW mount when I heard the heart dropping snap :-(

From the looks of it the threads seem to get too tight right before entering the mount. I had threaded it as far as I could by hand. I figured it was at the point where tools became necessary. seeing the bottom bolt was against the frame rail. I will be calling the place I ordered it from to see if I can get a replacement but I'm still trying to determine if this was caused by me or a defect of the mount.

Sorry for the crappy picture. You can see the part on the end of the bolt that used to be attached to the mount. it threads only that far onto the bolt it wont go down it and on the mount side I tried threading the bolt to whats left and it wont go in at all. there are no signs of cross threading at all. :mad2:

IMG_0520.jpg

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That was a brand new bolt?

3. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Yes that's the bolt that came with the kit. The dirt and grim on it is from the crap I couldn't get out of the frame rail.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That sucks, I'm sure the vendor would send you another if you asked. I think WAY is now TSW.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yep, give way a call. Otherwise check the part number from realOEM, it's easy enough to get the bolt. That is concerning that a brand new bolt sheared.

6. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I've contacted where I bought it from they said to ship it back and they will warrant it. I guess the picture isn't clear the bolt didn't break the part it threads into on the mount did. If you look closely you can see the part that snapped off still threaded onto the bolt.

7. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Got my replacement mount today. The install was kinda nerve racking I was so scared to break the new mount. I can't say 100% that the bottom bolt hit 41ft pounds as recommended the wrench kept turning like before except this time I hit resistance like it was gonna click. last time I felt this I heard bang and it broke so I figure between what torque I got and the locktite on the bolt I should be ok. I may borrow the digital torque wrench from work and redo the bottom bolt so I can see a read out as I go.