Tune Canceled - Thread of innuendo and speculation. Jump in the crap all stinks

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by rkw, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    RMW tune event was scheduled for this weekend in Northern California. It was popular enough that signups overflowed into a 3rd day. The entire event was abruptly cancelled today with this explanation:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/179921-rmw-tune-in-bay-aera-4.html#post2963178

The obvious speculation is that it was called in by a competitor (or one of their fan-boys). This would be really sad for the MINI community if it were true.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    What makes it illegal? Emission laws?

Mark

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    CARB probably.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. So now tune-ups are illegal? Cause surely everyone who signed up was trying to get a tune to lower their emissions.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not another tuner, maybe a tree hugging MINI owner saw the thread and blew the whistle?

Mark

6. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And the thread is now closed? Does the final message in the thread seem to say that there will now no longer be postings related to tuning events in CA, since they are apparently illegal? Seems a little heavy handed to me, but maybe that's just me.

7. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Since there's a lot of speculation on the sewing site as to 'who did it', we would like to state for the record that we had nothing to do with that event (or its demise). I know a lot of people would like to accuse us of being the 'rat', but we would not allow ourselves to stoop to that level.

The facts will speak for itself... and that's all i have to say about that...

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Quote:
    The obvious speculation is that it was called in by a competitor (or one of their fan-boys). This would be really sad for the MINI community if it were true.

If that turns out to be true, it'd be the most "Chiken-$h1t" thing a competitor could do... Unbelievable.:frown2:

9. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Or it could be one of many HAPPY customers from his previous tunes!?!? I guess anyone who's not his customer is a fan boi of the opposite side...

It's best to get all your facts straight before anyone start making accusations...

Remember this famous quote: "I don't have all the facts, but the Police officers acted stupidly..." And who turned out to be the moron.:idea:

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal, but so are lots of other aftermarket services and products (just take intakes as an example). This is something tiny compared to what must go on for other brands like BMW, not to mention Honda. The interesting thing is that someone targeted this event for some reason.

11. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's Lord of The Flies MINI style!

Actually, I'll differ from some of the "unbelievable" statements; I believe it. It's just the next step of undermining the competition. It starts on the forums and now it's morphed into more. Eventually Jack tries to kill Ralph. The interesting part of this whole drama is that you really can't ever tell who's Jack and who's Ralph.

These vendors have, as it's said, reaped what they've sowed. Whoever did this stupid thing will have repercussions coming his or her way, to be sure.

And we'll all be tuned (yep - pun) in!

- Marc

12. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    :yesnod:

I've personally grown pretty bored of the tune vendors whining back and forth at each other with fanboys bickering from both sides. :Yawn:

No need to start even more drama over something that is nothing but speculation at this point. The fanboys can grab the torches and pitchforks when some actual information arises.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I usually don't butt in on conversation here with stuff like this, I think most of the time it is better to let them run their course.

First off, there is no idea at this time who may have been behind this and their reasoning. I think we can agree that if it was nefarious reasons then the community as a whole has hit a new low.

Let us rise up from that point and not point fingers. No entity or person should feel the need to say it was not them.

For those in Cali that are not dismayed by this turn of events and are willing to have such an event again please learn from this and be discrete about it. Contact me for ideas on how to get the word out while keeping it on "down low" as kids at some time said.

The point of all this is that we should not fill this thread with stuff like "let gets this ...." and how terrible it is that this happened.

Lets all take away that there are people that will find the new low point. We don't have to bring ourselves to meet them.

14. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What the heck is going on, Miniacs? Back in the olden days of 2004 it was almost boring to see how everyone was playing nicely together. Now there is nonsense everywhere I turn. Splintering the already small Mini community is not going to serve vendors or their customers well in the future.

15. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm having a hard time finding where it's actually illegal. Seems obvious you can't use a stand-alone, but not much mentioning if you can or cannot modify the stock one so long as it doesn't effect anything emissions-wise. Or is Cali like the SCCA where anything they forget to mention is also illegal? :rolleyes:

Then again, a google search has turned up where the JCW ecu tuning and Dinan's canned tune have both been granted exemptions to an unlisted rule.. so I guess that mystery rule must be somewhere on the books?

Any comments from a tuning company (mynes? since you're around here reading..)? Do you know the legality? I would imagine since you and a whole lot of other tuners for all kinds of different makes and models are based in california, someone must have done the legal research?

16. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I think the idea is that it's more of a "illegal until proven legal" situation where a product or modification that has ANYTHING to do with emissions is illegal until it goes through the tests/time required for the CARB certification. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they probably consider the ECU an emission-related part of the vehicle. Even if the tune doesn't make the emissions worse, the lack of CARB certification would still make it illegal.

A good breakdown on the basic CARB rules: Emissions Laws & Regulations – Frequently Asked Questions

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #17 minimark, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    Quote:
    If that turns out to be true, it'd be the most "Chiken-$h1t" thing a competitor could do... Unbelievable.

I see nothing in my above post that singles out any one vendor nor if it is true or not. Only states that if it WAS a competitor and true it would exhibit a total lack of integrity. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

18. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I recently had my Subaru tuned by a reputable tuner from Chicago who visits a reputable shop in MD monthly. I was a bit taken aback by the utter lack of drama...no thread detailing results, no big crowd during the weekend, no oohs and ahhs when solid numbers were put down. No waiting hours for your slot on Sunday because everybody was behind on Saturday. Just pro's doing what they do everyday. Not a single hiccup, surprise or excuse was made.

The shop requires a mandatory $99 pre-dyno inspection prior to tune weekend to ensure compression, boost pressure, fresh oil,, no exhaust leaks and a general checkover of the car (worth far in excess of $99 should you have them do it otherwise). This makes things go smoothly and also ensures safe tunes.

Guess my point is that the MINI community has some growing up to do. Perhaps this latest drama could be seen as a learning experience and shops and tuners get their acts together. Then again, the same people thrive on that very drama as evidenced by the threads and posts they create on other sites.

19. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I don't see how just "tuning" could be illegal?

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK.....question for someone at Mynes, how do you get away with doing tunes?