Tune Canceled - Thread of innuendo and speculation. Jump in the crap all stinks

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by rkw, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    What this has to do with the possibilities of a Vendor, unable to compete apparently, calling in the law and stopping a tune that a good many people wanted and had already invested time and money in acquiring is beyond me.:eek:ut:

It's my hopes that it was some tree hugger or such and not someone active in the Mini community.:(

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It has nothing to due with the conversation. However before the person that posted turns my own words about threads having a life of their own I'll say this.

Lynn (nitrominis) has some sort of vendetta against Jan and RMW and made these same unfounded accusations again and again on various forums. Here is where the line is drawn. Until you can prove (Lynn) that Jan and RMW are an illegal entity there is to be no more accusation by insinuation that you (Lynn) oh so love to do.

3. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for clarifying Nathan.

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't say "NOTHING" per se...

It's safe to assume that the event is illegal because the MINI tuners don't have CARB certification, thus "appropriate documents of operation".

He also brought up another alternative as to why the event could be considered "illegal" rather than being emissions related. It really hasn't been determined WHAT made the event illegal. Most people assume it was emmisions (my bet), but it could be other things since the BAR is responsible for a whole field of requirements.

I'm not posting this in aggreance with nitro or anything. Just pointing out that it IS on topic.

5. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    well, no sales tax on labor here in The Republik of Kalifornia—yet-so that would not be likely. Any shop doing repair work for money here must be familiar with the BAR regs and try to adhere to them. I would wonder out loud if there is a rival tuner shop in the area who might have prompted this as well. I am unfamiliar with the area and if any other shops specialize in MINI who would want to see this competitor shut down.

Technically speaking, ANY vehicle receiving ANY work that is deemed repair work (and that is as simple as a wiper blade, btw) for a money exchange, must have:

A. Written estimate for the EXACT work to be performed and the EXACT amount being charged for labor and parts, signed by the vehicle owner. (Ca. Business and Professions code, 9884.9

b. Said repair order MUST SHOW the repairers BAR number (title 16, Ca. code of regulations)
    c. An itemized description of labor that clearly describes all service work done and any parts needed. (ca bus&prof code 9884.8)
    d. Labor operations and parts must be listed EVEN if the work being performed is warranty or done at no charge (9884.8 again) the list goes on and on……

It is more of a control thing with the state and CARB. TECHNICALLY, any tuner can devise a “Tune†alteration to an ecu and apply for CARB acceptance and get an eo number---if they want to put up about 30-50k and got through a year of bs. I am certain they would also have to post a signifigant bond insuring they did not make any cars emissions worse “by accident†while tinkering inside the ecu.

Personally I think it is a shitty thing to do to anyone, because all auto repair businesses live under the threat of BAR action at all times, and they are much like the IRS-what they say goes, and they can padlock your business and keep you from entering it anytime they even SUSPECT legal wrongdoing. They have way too much power under the guise of “consumer protectionâ€, but the dickhead thieving cheats in auto mechanical and body repair in the past 50 years brought this agency about and created their power.

For the record, Jan tuned my car and several others I have sent him-he has been nothing but honest and professional in every transaction we have had.

6. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This whole situation is silly.

People are making accusations with very little knowledge of what really happened.

It could have been anybody - a shop employee that did not want to work on Saturday - the scenarios or possibilities are pretty unlimited with the information posted thus far.

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Quote:
    For the record, Jan tuned my car and several others I have sent him-he has been nothing but honest and professional in every transaction we have had.

Ditto!:Thumbsup:

8. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    exactly right

truer words have not been said!

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:Thumbsup:

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I will ask again as I think my earlier post got swallowed up.......how can MYNES (or really any other shop with the same capabilities) tune the cars w/o CARB approval at their own shop?

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I never mention anyone's name Nathan?

I do not have a "vendetta" Nathan, but I do feel that some buisness should have the documentation such as a license to operate and give invoices to those they do work for. I would guess that a few that posted work from one individual "never" got a receipt and paid in cash. :lol:

Now if I am wrong please someone correct me with prof so I may apologize.

It might interest you to know the BBB has no listing of the mention person/buisness in your posting? Check it out!

You may want to check that out a bit more. Their is some labor that is taxable in "The Republik of Kalifornia" :lol:

Business owners know these things.

Look into " When is Labor Taxable" :Thumbsup:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub108.pdf

The term illegal is a bit strong to begin with. I am not totally sure but there is no law on the books for doing tunes(ECU re programing). The CARB currently has no regulation with regards to ECU remapping. Because parts are not being replaced that are contrary to the emissions control systems on the vehicle and a part is not being altered or modified what is the regulation?

I am sure that as some have stated speculation are varied and the facts will eventually come out. As they always do.

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    OK, seems like everyone took the opportunity to bring the nonsense here because they weren't allowed to discuss it "there". Without facts all this is conjecture speculated on by a bunch of old women. And the only fact present is someone snitched and it was a low thing to do.

Separately. My cars are tuned by Jan. I have dyno charts and track data that are proof enough for me that his efforts made an improvement. I never have, nor am I now asking for anyone's opinion to validate it. I paid with a Credit Card on the spot. At the time I had it done, he was the only one around so the decision was easy. If Mynes was around then, my decision would probably be harder.

As for their continued bickering. It is being perpetrated mostly by the supporters. If they would stop constantly bringing it to the forums RMW vs Mynes argument would be settled in 4 posts.

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Lynn,

I have a receipt and an invoice from my tune. Something my wife insisted on when it was done. I am not going to go digging for 2 year old paperwork. My word should be good enough.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just for yucks...

M7 Tuning - Not listed with BBB
    Motoring Alliance LLC - Not listed with BBB
    FES Auto - Not listed with BBB
    Stance Design - Not listed with the BBB
    Cooper Flags - Not listed with the BBB
    Texas Speedwerks - Not listed with the BBB

That's just a handful of the M/A sponsors. I didn't bother to check all and the sample was random.

The Better Business Bureau is nothing more than an advocate for member businesses which pay their yearly fees!

So again your argument carries no weight.

15. CFMINI

CFMINI New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Tech Support
    Corona, CA
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I also have printed and/or emailed invoices from all tuning work and parts that I have bought from RMW. If he collected sales taxes and did not pay Uncle Arnold his part, then that is between Jan and the California Franchise Tax Board.

16. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am NOT interested in stirring the pot, but as a happy customer of Mynes and Hubie, I just want to say that:

a) I got a printed receipt;
    b) I paid by credit card;
    c) I saw before and after dyno data that made me feel I was getting my money's worth; and
    d) I have no qualm or issue with Jan and RMW (other than on a run once through a neighborhood, I was following Jan who was driving Lil Diabolito, and I was getting dirty looks from the residents b/c of his exhaust note... heh!). Lots of folks I know and respect have Jan's ECU tunes, and more and more folks I know and respect are getting Mynes ECU tunes. I am aware of a couple of folks who got Mynes tunes (early adopters) who were not completely thirlled at first, but Mynes and Hubie have made good, and I beleieve all are now satisfied customers. Don't know about folks who had bad experiences with Jan, and I don't care.

My big concern is the questionable legality of getting an ECU tune done, and whether my MINI is at risk of being impounded when it finally has to go get a smog check.

Maybe I should delete my "Mynes tuned... Is yours?" stickers that Murray proudly wears now... Cop bait?

Although this topic makes for interest9ing reading, it doesn't seem like there is any concrete knowledge of what actually happened with the cancelled tuning party... I know I would be upset if I were scheduled to get a tune and had it yanked out from under me like that. It seesm to be way too hard to get a tune done these days - by anyone. Is the quasi-legallity the underlying reason?

_Dave_

17. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    ok so-if you are going to split hairs, do it right!!

18. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    :lol: Nathan you first have to become a member of the BBB to be listed.
    That means a voluntary member not required. :lol:
    But here in CA as in most states it is require to have a current business license to sell product or perform labor.

Here try the Ca GOV area for the information.

Business Search - Business Entities - Business Programs

Notice anyone that is suspended aand the year? :lol:

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The point was that there are some taxable labor in CA or did you not get that information? :lol:

20. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #60 minimark, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Seems to me that you are defending the fact that someone called in the law to prevent a RMW tuning event from happening. Is this correct Nitromini, do you feel that this was a good thing?