** TUNE IN ALERT** Garden State 250

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by rsstopper, Jul 24, 2010.

1. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sunday, July 25

TIME: 1 p.m. ET

SPEED (channel 607 on DirecTV)
    :popcorn:

Garden State 250

Get ready for the nose-to-tail action of the 2010 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge! Fifty two of the latest production-based sports cars compete on the 2.25-mile, 12-turn Thunderbolt Raceway circuit at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Make sure you follow all the action on SPEED and see history in the making as the #198 Mini Cooper S of RSR Motorsports wins in convincing fashion to give Mini their first ever victory in Grand Am competition.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Shite! F1 is on from noon to 2 pm, this starts at 1 pm...decisions, decisions. Guess I'll catch the start of the F1 and switch over at 1.

3. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i will be watching.

4. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Just watched it - awesome!! Looks like the Bosch ECU is quite the improvement.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Does anyone by chance have the capability of posting this race.....?

My DVR took a dump and does not have the race listed in the queue!

And the guy who normally posts the races on racingunderground.com had a power outage and can't do it.

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting...

that one of the KIA team members called the race for the MINI with more than an hour to go. Also, my two of my favorite cars got firsts: Mustang won for GS, MINI for GT.

Mustang did pretty good for a car some think can only go straight! ;)

Matt

7. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Correction there - MINI competes in the ST class.

8. R50 Paul

R50 Paul New Member

May 5, 2009
    Covina, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was great watching the MINI pull away from the rest of pack. Good stuff!!

9. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so whats the difference with the ecu that gave it an advantage?

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Looks like it was going sideways a bit, too.

Anyone know how many other cars are using non-OEM ECUs? After the MINI's run-away success, will other teams jump on that bandwagon?

11. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i thought i heard the speaker say that mini was the only one with the ecu everybody else had oe

12. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The Bosch setup requires Grand Am approval in advance. Most of the other cars run Bosch. We were approved about 3 months ago. It takes a long time to implement.

The announcer was saying that the winning 198 car was the only one of our 3 car Mini team that is using Bosch.

and . . . that is correct. We will convert the other cars soon but not until we have resolved all the mapping and fuel economy issues.

I guess the race result says we are pretty close . . . :Thumbsup:

Randy

13. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    cant wait to see another race. it was awesome watching you guys win.

14. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Cool, thanks for the clarification. The way the announcer said it, I wasn't sure if the 198 car had an advantage over the entire field; that didn't make sense. It really looked like the MINI just out-handled the field and carried more speed into the straights.

One of the Kia guys (Lally maybe?) said his Kia was the best handling and best braking car in the field, but down on HP. I'm not sure their performance backs that up, though. For one, it seems like Jonsson can't find the brake pedal whenever he's behind a MINI... But I think the MINI was really the class of the field last race when it came to handling and braking. Can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

15. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    #15 rsstopper, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    Funny that Lally would say that . . . they had us on the long straight. It was our braking and handling that ruled the day. He predicted we would win . . . I kinda thought that was funny too.

VJ stuck it to his co-driver (Nic "I hate Mini's' Jonssen) on the last lap for 7th place. Credit to Nic for driving cleanly at the end.

Randy

16. tennesseemini

tennesseemini New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to know the answer to that question. Especially if it is true that the Mini won by 16 secs.

17. rsstopper

rsstopper New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The major difference is that the Bosch is not 'adaptive'. When the air fuel ratios and timing are set they stay there. If the car starts the race with xxx horsepower . . . it still has xxx horsepower at the end.

The stock ECU is constantly adjusting to conditions. If the engine starts to run hot . . . it adds fuel and retards timing. If the inlet temps rise . . . same deal. The ECU is designed to 'save' the engine when it senses something it does not like and . . . it DOES NOT like racing.

Read 'warranty' all over these adjustments. The factory builds in safety and reliability, which is desirable in your street car.

The stock ECU will bleed off 20-30 horsepower by the end of the race which is why the cars have historically fallen flat toward the end.

The 16 second win was partly because of the Bosch but most of it came because of a smart (lucky?) pit strategy . . . we had new tires and fuel w/ 40 minutes to go . . . everyone else had tires at the 60 minute (or longer) to go mark. Fresh tires were a key in the EXTREMELY hot conditions. I think we would have won anyway with similar tires because the car was so good, BUT the big margin was newer tires.

Randy

18. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I wish I'd noticed this sooner -- it's on Speed again right now. I hope you managed to catch it.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I did, but I am not trusting the DVR right now. I should have access to a capture of it tomorrow so I can save it on my computer.