2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Tuning

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MinixB, Jun 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, might pick his book up. With Mr Zurschmeide's background as a technical writer and who writes a weekly column for the Portland Tribune, he should have some very insightful opinions on the merits of custom ECU tuning!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #22 Nathan, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    And here is the book....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/New-Mini-Performance-Handbook-How/dp/193470914X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276567049&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The New Mini Performance Handbook (Performance How to) (9781934709146): Jeffrey Zurschmeide: Books[/ame]

Click the link to buy...the site makes 7 cents. Thanks

3. rickaustin

rickaustin MINI of the Month - June '10

May 3, 2010
    Software development
    Duluth, GA a suburb of Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can't comment upon other tuners but I've had a quick tune done my Way Motor Works and I had noticeable improvements and increased pep - how's that for a technical term :)

Prior to the tune I had a dropout in throttle response in the 2500 - 3000 RPM range and the tune eliminated that problem.

I'll eventually have Way do a dyno tune but I have to say this quick tune was worth it to me. I know Way and others can do these things remotely now. That option will increase the price so a visit to someone that can do a tune is your best choice. You also have to decide whether a quick tune is sufficient or if you want the added expense, and benefits, of a dyno tune. Like I said, I've been happy with the quick tune but I will do a full tune at some point to squeeze out more from that little engine...

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

Actually Chassis Dyno can be a bit over rated with tuning...If you got a tune with Way in your MINI on the go... a chassis dyno can not beat that for real world tuning. But if you want the bragging rights of big HP and TQ numbers better join the Chassis tune club and add your MINI to the membership.:lol:

minimark perhaps you should get a copy see where the information was derived from and read the chapter on the ECU before making sarcastic comments about the author and resulting publisher...you might see that the information provided was mainly from some experienced sources. As well SA Designs requires a SAE recommendation before it publishes technical information.

Why not support this forum and take Nathan suggestion or go to the MA store and get a M/A decal or T-shirt : :lol:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/New-Mini-Performance-Handbook-How/dp/193470914X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276567049&sr=1-1?tag=citofgamonlco-20]Amazon.com: The New Mini Performance Handbook (Performance How to) (9781934709146): Jeffrey Zurschmeide: Books[/ame]

5. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #25 minimark, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    There are quite a few good books on reading comprehension too... ;)

Again you make assumptions without any data, I have done business with, supported many of the vendors on this site, just received a set of Vorshlag camber plates from TSW for one. But have not found it written nor do I feel compelled to go along with all opinions and/or only do business with the vendors on this forum to be a member/supporter of it.

Listed below in no particular order is some of the great M/A vendor/sponsors that I HAVE purchased goods and services from in the past:

Craven Speed
    FES
    Helix
    Outmotoring
    Prima Car Care
    Texas Speedwerks
    Way Motor Works
    Whalen
    Grassroots Garage

6. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    I find it strange that the top NASCAR guys use Dynapacks at the TRACK.............. hell, they have the whole track to test the car right? Yet they dyno on the dynopack to fix the car..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

these guys must be morons..........right?

for those not seeing the sarcasm, the dynopack loads the car just like the track does, you can hold the car at a set gear, load, time frame that the car is acting up in to be able to data log the issue. This REAL WORLD info is perfect for fixing issues with cars. But let's not let facts get in the way of a lively discussion......

rock on

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So it didn't take long for this to go south...

I have work to do so will address this all later.

For now if you nothing to add to move this discussion forward about tuning then don't.

Yes, this means you Jan and Lynn...

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #28 Nitrominis, Jun 15, 2010
    The best advise to someone getting a tune for the first time or a re tune from something old is to find someone that has a solid background in the Automotive Performance Industry. Anyone can buy into the hardware and program and self learn to tune engines in a couple of years. The real experience comes from years of being in the Automotive and specifically the Performance Automotive business. No corners to be cut with knowledge and experience acquired over time. Find a tuner that has this experience and you should do well with what they have to offer.

9. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    based on responses on MT I see your window closing very quickly

as for tuning and bricking ecu's it is very hard to do on a R53

on the R56 it is much easier to do. We do have the tools necessary to unbrick an ecu if that should occur

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

So what you are saying is R53 give you a challenge? :lol:

Why not explain the terminology "unbrick/brick" most have no idea what that is. As a tuner supping this would be helpful for some to understand as well as helpful on this thread? :idea:

Some consider the term hacking (if done incorrectly)what do you think?

11. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    wow........comprehension is not your strong suit

anyone interested in some real dialogue about ecu's feel free to call
    we have been tuning Mini's longer and with championship results

the rest they say is just.....................BS

enjoy

12. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Haven't there been some instances of tuners locking the ECU and the owner not being able to have anyone else do anything with it?

Brick = locked up
    Unbrick = unlocked

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I am so annoyed right now.

You two, Lynn (nitrominis) and Jan (RMW) have such hatred towards each other your vision is clouded. You WILL NOT crap all over this site.

What could have been a decent discussion has now been taken to the depths of hell. It's closed and you both bought my wrath...and the loss of use of M/A for at least 2 weeks.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Re-opening this so we can continue with discussion.

15. skippydog

skippydog New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woo hoo! I love the ecu threads. I guess thats just the techie in me. Carry on now guys.

16. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, thanks for bringing down the hammer.
    MA has been a great site and I'm glad it will continue to be so.
    (No to be confused with sewing...)

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Reminds me of when I had to give my daughter a time out, but that was many years ago when she was 5 years old. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway I'm glad we're back on track.

18. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Just to get back on topic. I have had a very good experience with Jan from RMW performing remote tunes on my R53 on numerous occasions after adding modifications. I did purchase the flash tool from Jan and a data logging software to send Jan real time log files before and after each tune to see what the car was saying. I am very happy with the results. I personally like having the flash tool for 2 reasons.

1) I can reflash with tuned ecu file at any time.
    2) I can reflash with original file if I wanted to as well.

It was a very easy process to download and email Jan the ecu files. Happy customer here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Wow.....what a screw-fess
    I have never heard of an individual getting their ECU "bricked" by a custom tune, now I have had hands on experience with 2 canned tuned cars that got virtually bricked. Had to go to the dealer to get the stock mapping loaded and it wasn't cheap. Both of these were before the custom tuning got to be a reasonable alternative.

20. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    #40 CarlB, Jun 15, 2010
    I have never had a MINI tuned, but I have experience with other computer controlled cars, and a lot of experience with engine tuning in general. I have been collecting parts to modify my R53 06 JCW. I would like to find a tuner once I have an engine package installed. I do not live in California where the top tuners are located. This discussion got started with some talk about remote tuning and tuning on a dynamometer. I have a lot of experience with engine dynos, but almost none with chassis dynos. Engines that have been tuned on engine dynos will typically be a little rich because the dyno will load an engine harder than a car will. One of the advantages of computer controlled engines is the ability to look at real data. Reading spark plugs is a subjective evaluation, looking at data from a wide band oxygen sensor is quantified data. I do not know how the tuners are doing their remote tunes, and a large part of the reason for this post is to see if we can get Mynes to jump in. When remote tunes are done, does anyone use something similar to an innovative motorsports wide band sensor to collect data? If the tuners were willing to go through several cycles of refining the tune I think it has the potential to be as good as or better than one done on a chassis dyno. Tuning at part load should be better. Will a tuner jump in and comment on some of this?