2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Turbo Rust

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Do you live in an area of the country where salt is used?

2. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I used to live in western, NY where they used salt and calcium. Now I'm in CT and not sure what they use, but assuming salt.

I figured the elements created it, but seems a little premature, no?

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Seems abnormal. But salt will do that. I'd still bring it up with the dealer. Seems like it's premature for an 09. Hopefully you have an understanding dealer in your area.

4. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I was thinking it's to soon for any of that. Most of the metal parts are showing some pitting and signs of corrosion.

I appreciate your insight. I guess as far as having an understanding dealer, it's pretty clear it's rusted. I hope I don't get the "that's normal" routine.

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The MINI is supposed to come with a 12 year rust protection guarantee. Obviously they're probably referring to the body but I say it should cover every component of the car. Are we expected to rinse off our engines after a drive? :incazzato:

6. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The funny part if that rixter, is that I keep my engine pretty clean. Every time I wash the car I open the hood and wipe down what I can reach.

Does anyone else have any similar appearance, or are yours all fine and rust free? Pics?

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Here's mine, May 09 build date. Mine gets parked until Spring at the first sign of snow.

Attached Files:

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Mine's a 07' daily driver and we get moderate snowfall/salt on the road and I have nothing like that

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #10 Minidave, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
    My '09 looks like that somewhat as well, although not as bad as yours - 25K and we get tons of salt on our KC roads in the winter. My car is not garaged nor do I wash the engine...definitely looks like salt corrosion to me.

I would run it by the dealer also, and if they won't replace it under warranty, I'd consider buying one to have on hand for when it does start to leak. Either that or take that one off, clean it to bare metal and paint it or powder coat it. An ounce of prevention, as they say....

The front pipe brings water from the water pump to cool the turbo bearing and housing, the one behind it supplies oil to the center bearings.

Attached Files:

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'd say I do similarly but maybe about every-other-wash.

I'd definitely have the dealer take a look at it

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's the problem!

Don't let them know that... "What you TOUCH your car parts? Warranty claim DENIED!"

Matt

12. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm really hoping that's sarcasm, LOL. I think when they see how clean the engine bay is it will be pretty apparent any way. It's not like i use any crazy chemicals. Mostly a wet rag on the hood and metal. I do use a rag with plastic protectant on the air box, bulkhead, grill and intake hose, but nothing else.

I have an appointment (next week) with the dealer; New Country Mini in hartford, CT. I also sent them the pics via email so they could get a heads up on what I'm i'm talking about. I have had very limited interaction with dealers over my life, as I have been fortunate to have little to no issues with any of my cars. So far, the service rep who i talked to was not pushing me away, and seemed open to discussing the issue. I'm thinking this will turn out alright.

Does any one know if the metal parts are treated at all? I would think at least a bath in some rust proofing would be standard, no?

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It looks like these parts are originally either cad plated or zinc plated, either will normally be fine unless in highly corrosive areas - like those that put a lot of salt down on the roads or near the ocean.

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah..... they are electroplated. Not sure what the coating is. Cadmium is typically gold in appearance. Chances are its a zinc electroplate.

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Matt's not having a good day unless he's sarcastic :D

16. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! This site is really pretty fantastic. I've been lurking here for the better part of a year, just reading and stealing your thoughts (not in a creepy way). But, i come as a basic unknown to you guys, and you have all been great at helping me out. I really appreciate it

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    On the... ask Vini Product Manager thread.....

Did you notice the part about shielding the Turbo oil lines? I wonder if the heat shielding will offer some protection against salt corrosion?????

...Vinnie: It was part of a cost-down measure. Sadly, this was one of few things that we fought against but the beancounters prevailed. Luckily, we did win on a few fronts such as getting the MINI logo back on our engines, budgeting for oil feed line heat shields on the turbo engines and even getting new timing chain tensioners....

18. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That corrosion is definitely a warranty item.
    Just make sure to come in to the dealership asking for help, making friends, and gathering support. Don't go in there with guns a blazin' and demanding everything.

As with everything else, your relationship with the dealership can make all the difference.

Even if they determine it is 'cosmetic or normal' corrosion for the moment and not covered, it is best to get this issue on record during the warranty period. If you highlight as an issue now it very well may still be a warranty item if/when it fails even if beyond the warranty period.

Also, having some pics of other MINIs with greater miles and less corrosion can't hurt.

19. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I hope I was being sarcastic...

We'll know when you're back from your visit. But some dealers are real pains in the butt, others are real helpful. I hope you have the latter.

In general though, I think it's best to just say "this doesn't look right to me. Does it to you?" and not given them anything that can be used as an excuse to not cover something.

Matt

20. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    From the Dealer:

Jim,
    I talked to our service manager and he showed the photos to our head technician and he said he sees corrosion on most all of them, lots of heat, along with exposure to the elements.

I hope that helps and answers your concern.

Sincerely,
    Kevin

From Me:
    Thanks! I appreciate the response. So is it safe to say I should not be concerned with the longevity or performance of the turbo and its oil lines?

Is there a recommendation as to what I can do to “slow†the process? I’m still kind of concerned about the future performance and possible damage that may occur if the lines and/or Turbo spring leaks from the corrosion. If there is some preventative maintenance I can do, I’m all for that.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Looks like the head tech says he sees it a lot. Doesn't quite make it right. Trying to be appreciative of the response, but realistically worried that these will rot off in a couple of years...