2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Turbo Rust

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by JC55MINI, Sep 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    From the Dealer:

Jim,
    I talked to our service manager and he showed the photos to our head technician and he said he sees corrosion on most all of them, lots of heat, along with exposure to the elements.

I hope that helps and answers your concern.

Sincerely,
    Kevin

From Me:
    Thanks! I appreciate the response. So is it safe to say I should not be concerned with the longevity or performance of the turbo and its oil lines?

Is there a recommendation as to what I can do to “slow†the process? I’m still kind of concerned about the future performance and possible damage that may occur if the lines and/or Turbo spring leaks from the corrosion. If there is some preventative maintenance I can do, I’m all for that.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Looks like the head tech says he sees it a lot. Doesn't quite make it right. Trying to be appreciative of the response, but realistically worried that these will rot off in a couple of years...

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Excellent advice, I'll second that.

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What's he's really saying...

is that it's a crappy part, the corrosion prevention measures are insufficient and you are not alone. What he isn't saying is if they will fix/replace it before it's shot.

To me, it reads like a very polite blow-off, but you're being blown off none the less. This goes under the "don't worry, they all do that..." category.

Matt

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I would suggest you bring it up the next time you have it serviced. Get it documented on the service agreement. You might be better off down the road if it's on the service agreement, that you were concerned about it, should some disaster strike that leads to some damage that could have been prevented. That's always going to put you in a better position than a verbal discussion. Get it on the service write up each time you bring it in.

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Great advise from Metalman

My $.02.... You have a pretty small sampling of MINI owners polled here, much less MINI owners in the Northeast US. As much as it pains me it might not be a bad idea to post something about this on NAM and see what owners in your neck of the woods are experiencing without any dealer spins on it

6. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was considering that, but didn't want to get bogged down with the BS. I trust the info more here.

But I see your point about the geography.

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    As with everything with NAM, take what you get with a grain of salt

8. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    My daily driver here in Detroit has that corrosion on the turbine housing and the midsection but not as severe. The corrosion on the coolant piping is REALLY bad though. I would demand replacement. It shouldn't get THAT bad.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Not just NAM

anything on the Internet, the TV, the radio.....

Matt

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    No M/A though, surely! :eek6:

11. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No dice from the dealer on the rust. Says it's normal, but we'll keep an eye on it.

However...

I need to give a huge thumbs up :Thumbsup: to NEW COUNTRY MINI in Hartford, CT

I took the car in for the rust on the turbo, and they said they would take a look at it... anything else they ask?

I mentioned the engine seems to have gotten a little louder, not really rattling, but a louder than usual ticking. Also mentioned that the hood scoop seems to be starting to warp, and let them know I read this was pretty common. Again, they said they would take a look at it and let me know.

After a couple of emails (great communication from them) they tell me they are going to go ahead and replace the timing chain, tensioner, slide rail, guide rails and whatever else is involved due to the 1mm off the length is from allowable. They also told me they would be ordering me a new hood scoop and heat shield for the turbo. All under warranty! I didn't even know MINI made a heat shield, but it's on order and should be in tomorrow.

I'm still a little concerned about the rust, but i am so absolutely pleased with the customer service and attention to detail that New Country MINI gave me. No questions asked about the hood scoop and timing chain.

They have definitely made the customer happy!!

Here's to you New Country :beer, and especially Marissa who exchanged more than 5 emails with me throughout the day regarding my service.

And thanks to you all for your assistance as well.

Side Note - Anyone know what the MINI version of the heat shield is? Pics? Just interested before its on as i have seem all of the aftermarket stuff.

Thanks,
    JC

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    On the down pipe it's #5, if thats the part making the noise?

[​IMG]

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The heat shield

for the turbo is the little metal thing with the "no hand" stuff pressed into it...
    [​IMG]
    It's number 17. But there are heat shields all over the place along the exhaust system.

Matt

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You beat me Matt....:D
    I was copying the pic.

Or if it's the one over the exhaust manifold #17 & 19

[​IMG]

15. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #35 JC55MINI, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    But I already have that?? Why would they order me a new one? (Rhetorical question as I don't expect you to know why they are ordering it)

16. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It changed....

There's an older one (Ended) and two newer ones! You can check the part number listing at REALOEM.com

Matt

17. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Got it! Thanks for the info Matt and Metalman

I guess I was thinking aftermarket like M7 and others

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    It may have broken loose causing some of the rattle?????

Item #6 is the oil line listed @ $32.00. If the rust bothers you, maybe it's something you could replace yourself. They will do it for you @ big $. The other lines are water cooling.

19. JC55MINI

JC55MINI New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Hartford, CT
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They talked about the heat shield in relation to warping the hood scoop, and since they went ahead with the timing chain, I'm guessing they are replacing it to prevent the heat.

Good info on the oil line. Should probably go ahead with that before the rust seals those bolts on.

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Huh......
    Interesting comment on the heat shield needing to be replaced as part of the solution for the warped hood scoop. I just got the new and improved hood scoop last Saturday. They didn't replace my heat shield. Hmmmmmm