Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Tyres, Tires, Tars.....

1. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Yep...If I rotate mine every 3,000 miles I have no issues. The first set on my '04 several years ago went about 10K without rotation and they too were nasty noisy. I learned my lesson, bought a racing jack from Harbor Freight and rotate them myself every 3K.

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not an expert but from past experience, I'd vote for the second opinion and say something is wrong with the rear alignment..... Wouldn't show up as bad with regular alignment but the fronts usually wear more than the rears on front wheel drive and it sounds like you are opposite....2 cents

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, I made a similar assumption, except the fronts are worn way more than the rears - the rears show no wear at all except for the inside edges.

I've got two shops (including the dealer) telling me all is well - btw, the dealer's tech who did the alignment is their senior tech with almost 30 years in the biz and while that's no guarantee, I tend to trust his word. When I spoke to him about the discrepancy between the shops he said he thought the guy who claimed it was out in the back didn't have the machine set right. He was confident of his work tho..... :confused5:

I find it hard to believe it's not out in the back, however, I expected it to be toe'd out, not in. To my mind, toe-in would be more likely to wear the outside edges......

Still wondering.....

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    To much negative camber in the rear would do that too.... Just makes no sense from what you describe that all is well, yet there is excessive wear on the inside of the rear tires.... :(

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    According to everything I've read, excess camber will wear the insides, but it does so evenly. Feathering is strictly the provence of incorrect toe according to what I've read....or bad tires, such as a belt gone awry. Seems odd that it could happen to both tho, so back to square one....

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    #7 Crashton, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
    Feathering does not sound like camber to me. I'm sure some of the wear is camber, but the feathering seems like a toe problem. You are correct in your thoughts Dave.

I thought you posted over on the other un-named site that you could not get the rear alignment correct, because they did not have enough adjustment available? Maybe I'm mistaking you with someone else.

EDIT...Time to take a die grinder to the holes & elongate them so you can get the toe where it needs to be. I think that is your only way, other than throwing parts at it.

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Agree feathering is more of a toe problem, just looking for some reason for the uneven tire wear. Still say the second opinion is closer to correct than the others.... Thing I would ask is why there isn't enough adjustment to correct the toe? There is a fair amount of adjustment and you should he able to correct, if done right.. Wonder if at one time someone tried to adjust the toe incorrectly, I have heard of folks trying to adjust with the control arms which will take you down a hole you don't want to go....if that is the case, it might not be obvious at first glance... 2cents

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, that's what the second shop says, the other two say it's all hunky-dory and the second shop must not have have the machine set up right or hooked on the wheels right.

I tend to agree with them for two reasons, again I think if it's anything, it's toed out and two out of three shops say it's not out of whack at all!

I'm very confused at this point, but I'm going to call Alex at Trie Rack in the morning and ask him what he thinks.

BTW, the MINI SA says it's not uncommon for MINIs to wear their rear tires like this - he didn't say why.

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought... have you seen or asked the tech what the alignment numbers are? You might be getting an alignment "within the spec" but the wheels are still toe'd in a lot. I'm not sure what the R56 spec is, but the R53 spec is 1/8" to 1/4" rear toe in. Maybe with the roads you usually drive or the sensitivity of the tires to feathering, the stock spec is too much toe in, even though you're still "within spec." Ask for a printout from the alignment machine if you take it in again.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:....exactly.

Can't tell if it is a concern w/o the numbers.

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, I have the printout, I'll scan it in and post it up a little later today for you all......

12. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That's because "in-spec" often isn't very good....

Exactly. Screw the "specs." Tell them your own numbers (perhaps 0 toe and less negative camber) and make sure the numbers you get are the numbers you requested. Enjoy better handling and longer lasting tires.

- Andrew

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good point!

When I get mine aligned, I tell them exactly the specs I want and stay back there with them until those specs are achieved... Don't want close, want those specs exactly. Now I do always use the same Guy at a friends shop and I do slip the tech an extra $20.00 or more for his time and trouble... ;)