U-Md. police: License and Red Bull, please?

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Nathan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Two University of Maryland police officers pulled over a Red-Bull-branded Mini Cooper on Thursday evening, issued a warning to the driver for not correctly wearing her seat belt and walked away with at least four cases of free Red Bull, according to the Diamondback.

The next day (after the student newspaper started asking questions), the department opened an investigation into the incident. Police spokesman Paul Dillon told the Diamondback that the energy drinks do not appear to have been a bribe, although the officers may have violated the department's gift policy.

The Washington Post's Crime Scene blog had some more details:

[After the traffic stop was completed] the woman asked the officers if they might want some Red Bull she had left over from her day's work on campus, Dillon said. The officers accepted, he said.

"She said, 'Hey, you guys want some Red Bulls to take back for the cops?' And they did it," Dillon said. "It was after the traffic stop was done. She said she was quitting for the night and had Red Bull to give away."

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    That is comforting... Gun toting cops hopped up on RB? THAT is a scary thought. :crazy:

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Especially when they're already on a sugar high from all the donuts...

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    seatbelt is a secondary offense. they couldn't legally give her a ticket, unless that changed in MD recently. So, the concept of a bribe isn't really going to hold water.

then again, if she looked like the Red Bull girls I saw in their MINI nearby in Herndon, VA, maybe they stopped them to issue a warning for being ugly :lol: Red Bull is slipping....

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I can honestly say I have never tasted the vile concoction.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The law in MD HAS changed. I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in MD and I was the passanger. They no longer have to have a valid offence to nail you for the seat belt. It will work all by itself now.

Jim

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's how they did it in Cali, too.

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Then how do you know it's vile?

On the other hand, I haven't tried that crap either...:D

What I don't get is why people make mixed drinks with it. It's like, "Ok, I want to get really, really drunk, and really, really sick, and I want to make sure I'm totally awake for the entire experience." Just not for me. I'd rather pass out. No need to stay awake artificially for the after effects of binge drinking.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Tried it once about 10 years ago, never again. Besides tasting awful it left me with a racing heart that took a trip to the ER to fix.

10. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    It's not bad stuff really...you just can't drink it all the time! What I don't get is people who drink Energy Drinks as if they are pounding a bottle of water...

Used as directed, they can be quite effective...but if you drink one for the sake of drinking one then ya its not gonna end well...

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Follow-up from The Diamondback

Two University Police officers who took five or six cases of energy drinks from a Red Bull delivery car after a traffic stop last week will be disciplined for violating department gift policies but did not receive the drinks as a bribe, police said.

The officers, in two cars, stopped a Red Bull Mini Cooper on Preinkert Drive last Thursday night after believing the driver was not wearing a seat belt, police said.

The three cars pulled up outside South Campus Commons Building 5 and the officers approached opposite windows of the Red Bull Mini. When the officers returned to their patrol cars, one leaned into the passenger-side window of the other’s cruiser.

The two officers then returned to the Mini — at which point, police said, they issued the driver a written warning for a seat belt violation. Then, the Red Bull driver got out of her car and began handing the officers cases of the drink, which they stowed in the back seats of their cruisers.

The department opened an administrative review into the officers’ conduct Friday morning after The Diamondback asked about the incident. Maj. Chris Jagoe, who conducted the review, said the officers and the Red Bull driver independently told investigators the driver offered the drinks only after she received her warning.

“The driver was very clear to me that at no time the officers asked for anything,” Jagoe said. “She offered to give them some of the Red Bull so they could take it back to the station and distribute it to the officers.”

As part of the review, Jagoe also reviewed surveillance video of the scene that showed the driver giving away Red Bull to two pedestrians after the traffic stop before driving away.

Jagoe and University Police Chief David Mitchell described the incident as “a teachable moment” for the police force.

“Let me say I’m satisfied this was not a situation where this young lady was giving Red Bull to get out of a ticket,” Mitchell said. “It doesn’t make it right, however, I have to say that these officers are good troops. They’re experienced troops. They are humiliated by what happened. I am confident this will never happen again.”

As a result of the incident, Jagoe said every department employee will receive a memo reminding them of department rules on receiving gifts.

“It’s something they just need to know: That on traffic stops, you just can’t accept gifts like that because of that perception,” Jagoe said. “It just looks like there’s some impropriety taking place, and we don’t want that, and the officers don’t want that. And they certainly weren’t thinking about that when it took place. But in retrospect, they clearly saw that.”

Jagoe would not identify the two officers or specify what punishment they would face.

And the Red Bull?

“It was destroyed,” Mitchell said.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

Justice is served!

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It is called "crafting a buzz." The alcohol pushes you down and the Red Bull pulls you up and if you get it just right you can party all night without a hangover the next day. All of those vitamins and additives help combat that. The problem is when people binge drink with it, they literally pass out on their feet and don't go down. I call it "cruise control on, drivers asleep." Why do you think they call Jager Bombs "panty droppers." I haven't drank energy drinks in years because they really tear up my stomach.

14. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    ...By being filtered through the digestion system of on duty officers that night...

:beer

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So....

If she gives away give away samples to officers in the cars to give away at the office, it's a violation of the gift policy. If she takes it to the office to give away one or two cans to each and every officer, it's not...

The teachable moment here is how much BS is in stuff like this. So what was a good will gesture and a legal marketing activity turns into a big to-do, with the red bull getting destroyed? What a total effin waste of time, money and Red Bull!

Matt

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

Never fear! There are a few billion dollars in stimulus money earmarked specifically to this problem, so that time, Red Bull, and most importantly, money, will never be wasted in this way ever again...:D