2nd Gen R55 Clubman Unused Dash Switches

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Beavis, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 Beavis, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    was wondering if i could use a switch in the center console that isnt being used ??

i have a flash2pass for a garage door opener and i dont want to cut the wires to the high beams. its set up to open the garage door when you flash the high beams (i havent installed it yet). i want to move the switch to a button in the console that isnt being used even though it doesnt exist (blank spot)

are the switch panels one unit, or can you add where no switch are ?

2. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is what im talking about

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It's probably a tough question. The thing about the MINI from an electrical standpoint is that practically everything is routed through the ECU with special programming that identifies each operating system. The button you are pointing is a dummy button cover (#5) for electrically heated windshield offered in Europe (we get the button cover). That's a pretty complicated electrical module. It would be near impossible for you to incorporate or modify for your intended use (and a very expensive part itself). My guess is you would have a hard time making it work IMHO.

[​IMG]

An easier switch might be the optional factory driving light switch that mounts to the right of the tachometer in the dash trim panel.

4. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do you have a picture of the switch ? i didnt see it on my car.

i know the switch in my picture goes to the heated windshield wipers, is there a connection under the hood that i could tap to use the switch ?

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    MINI switches are "fly by wire", so there are no wires. I'm guessing your best bet is to remove the current switch and install one of your own, which might not be easy.

Jim

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    IMHO this would be the easiest way to add a switch and still make it look OEM (but a bit pricey).... Item #3 is the color matched dash panel and switch for the factory driving lights. If you aren't concerned about the OEM aspect, well then you can do just about anything.....

[​IMG]

RealOEM.com * BMW R56 Cooper S INSTALLING SET ADDITIONAL HEAD LIGHT

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of the OEM driving lights MM, I still have not located the stupid fuse. Not in the kick well that I can find. I have no idea where they put it, as it was a dealer add on. :mad2:

Jim

8. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i wonder if you can attach wires to the back of that switch ?

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The one for the driving lights is an add on and has wires. The ones on the dash (at least the toggles) activate a sending unit that talks to the ECU. It isn't a switch as you know one.

Jim

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well......
    The wife is going to be involved with a horse show this weekend, sooooooo.....

Stop on by my shop on Saturday and I'll find that fuse for ya.....

Being newly retread err retired (that word keeps trippin me up) Hehehe, you certainly have the time to make the quick run over here.....

11. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so your saying #3 will work for me ??

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    In a word.......yes. :)

Jim

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to use the car's computer to operate aftermarket driving lights. I am in the process of adding driving lights to my MINI, they will be wired independently of the car's wiring. With their own fuses and triggering relay tapped into the high beam wire of one of the headlights, I want them to work only when the high beams are on. I am installing the driving light switch onto the turn signal stalk, where it will be out of sight but easily accessible. It doesn't have to be a big switch, as it will only be handling the trigger current for the relay and not the full current of the driving lights.

I will use a thermosetting plastic modeling material, called Fimo, to sculpt a switch housing that will blend with the turn signal stalk and not look out of place.

Dave

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Without holding the OEM switch in my hand and testing it, I don't know if it's a SPDT or a momentary contact switch (like a door bell button). If it's SPDT then yes, just hook it up or through a relay for higher amperage requirements with a fuse of course. If its a momentary contact you will need to use a "latching relay". This will allow a momentary contact switch to latch on with the first push of the button and then latch off with the second push of the button.....:D

15. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my guess is the switch is SPDT. it seems all the switches in the car are like that.

looks like i might have to cut into the factory light harness. i hate doing that. is the wire going to the head light replaceable without going through hell if i decide i dont want the garage door opener anymore ??

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    If it were me I wouldn't cut the wiring. Just tap into something easy like the cigarette lighter wire. NAPA sells something called Posi Tap that makes doing this easy.

[​IMG]

17. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks, thats what it came with. ive never seen these before.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The metal point pierces through the wire insulation when you tighten one end. The other end handles the wire you're making the connection with.
    They work best in areas that aren't exposed to the elements. Corrosion can enter into the connection pierce if it gets wet.

19. Beavis

Beavis New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Berkshires U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe i will put a little di-electric grease on it.

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No. Almost all switches in the MINI are momentary. Most switches are not connected to the actual function. They are connected to the computer, which detects that a button has been pressed, and the computer performs the function.

The windshield heater switch would be momentary, just like the rear defogger switch. If you turn off the car while the switch is on, it will be off when you turn on the car again. If it were a mechanical SPDT switch, it would stay on.