Upcoming FWD BMWs will share MINI architecture

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From Automotive News

[​IMG]

Purists still find it hard to believe that BMW plans a range of front-wheel-drive vehicles, the first-ever for the brand. But it's true -- and more details are emerging.

Our German sister publication Automobilwoche says the entry-level range will debut in 2013, starting with a lineup consisting of three- and five-door cars, a small crossover, a roadster and a compact van. They'll be based on a new modular architecture shared with BMW's Mini brand.

Automobilwoche also offered a few styling details. For instance, the crossover version won't have BMW's famed Hofmeister kink in its rear seat windows or feature a continuous shoulder line, another departure from BMW tradition.

BMW needs the small cars to meet new federal fuel economy and European C02 standards. The new family will be powered by a turbocharged 2-liter, four-cylinder gasoline engine that debuts next year and BMW's current 2-liter diesel. They may also get the new 1.5-liter, three-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines that are under development.

It's not clear whether BMW will bring all derivatives to the United States. Only the coupe and convertible versions of the 1 series, BMW's current entry-level range, are sold here.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101115/OEM03/311159972#ixzz15MptdEFa

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Well this guarantees that Mini will get the droppings and BMW branded front wheel drives will receive the steak....:(

3. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I guess one can only hope that the 2.0t will fit in a MINI engine bay for future engine swap projects, atleast :idea:

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    The roof design of the SUV pictured looks a lot like the roof on the Coupe Concept MINI. Now...put the 2.0 liter in the coupe and we have a winner :D

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I'm thinking only good things will trickle down to MINI.:D

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ...and hope a version of it it will replace the Puegoet piece that exist now....

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I remember the outcry when Volvo went to front wheel drive. Seems like they are doing well now & that is all they have along with a some awd trucksters.

I don't see BMW switching to all FWD platforms & what they are doing makes sense for them. I hope they use BMW engines this time.