Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Updated - April, 2010 - Magnetic Drain Plugs after 4.5K miles

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Might have to swap out my fumoto, although I wonder how much of that stuff washes out anyway. Maybe I'll filter my next oil change, see what I pick up, need to change it in the next couple of days anyway (and the car is just off a track day).

Those things reusable, or do they need a new gasket or anything with each use? They look much better quality than the OEM plug....

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I did change the crush washers.

I'd imagine most of the bits are flushed out with each change but IMHO the magnet grabs the stuff and keeps it from floating around during engine use. Probably makes life a little easier on the filter as well.

3. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Wow great stuff! Every little bit helps...

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    if only Mr Dimple would reply to his thread :lol: I wanted to buy a set for my car

5. TT_Zop

TT_Zop Club Coordinator

May 26, 2009
    Machinist
    Flint,TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:Thanks for the pics Nathan. Gonna order mine from Texas Speed Works.

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

yes indeed!!

He is not computer savvy in fact less then me and you know how bad I am
    You might just call him. Or if you tell me what you are looking for I can get you the part numbers ?

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Once you shut down the engine most heavy metal particles will settle to the lower compartments or area's of the engine. A lot of times once they come to rest they will remain there even after changing oil. Even the engine running sometimes will not lift them back in the volume of oil to circulate through the engine hopefully later to be caught in the filter or the drain plug magnets. A oil changing trick is to use a quart of ATF in a warm engine prior to changing the oil. ATF is a high detergent oil and will clean better then engine oil and will help increase flushing during an oil change. Driving a short distance with it in the crankcase will in no way harm an engine.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Impressive.......but what about us guys that are using the OEM oil temp sending unit. What would be the best alternative?

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    *Drill and tap the sump (pan). Change the oil more frequently?

* The best way would be to drain the oil and weld a bung to the sump. Unless to know exactly where the thicker casting of the pan is you may not be able to tap enough threads for a secure hold on the drain bolt.

There are few that have had the pan off enough that may be able to give a good location for just drilling and tapping?
    George at MINI MADNESS may be able to give some good information on this as he has a modified MINI pan that he offers.
    Madness MINI Cooper S baffled oil pan - MINI Cooper S Baffled Oil Pan

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Kinda what I thought, but as you stated I have no idea where a good place to tap would be. How far below the pan would this plug extend? Would hate to rip it off hitting a curb at the track.

I currenty change the oil about every 4-5k.

11. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    plugs for my '08 Subaru STI. Oil pan, rear diff, tranny

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

6 speed primary is m-26 x 1.5
    secondary m-16 x 1.5

The engine is m-20

The rear differential will have a new model available in about 7 - 10 days.

13. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I believe my oil drain is already magnetic. From the ones I've removed on the R160 rear ends, they are too. Wonder how much diff there is

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes they are.
    The ones from Magnetic Drain Plugs are 150% stronger then the oem units. I also think that they have a larger surface area then the oem?
    http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/magneticdrainplugs.html

15. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Its good to see the results. I've sold several of these and been installing them with alot of oil changes here at the shop.

R53 magnetic drain plug
    R56 magnetic drain plug. This one we really like cause it gets rid of the silly allen stock drain plug.
    I've got the trans ones too, but not on the site yet.

16. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya, too many things to plug into too few spots. Drilling the oil pan is not my first consideration, but our options are definitely few.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Way,

Do you have any recomendations for an alternative location for the oil pan one? A thick area on the pan?

18. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #19 Nitrominis, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    After talking to a a friend that was king enough to measure the thickness of the MINI oil pan there is no better or good location. The pan is the same thickness along the bottom and will not give more then 4-5 mm of threads. Although this may be enough to hold a drain plug the better solution is to weld a bung for the drain plug.
    Picture supplied by Kieth @ Werkinmini.com
    http://www.werkinmini.com/
    The one on the left is a specially coated pan.

[​IMG]

19. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ^Yeah, I've had the oil pan off a few times and I looked for a spot to drill and tap a temp sender. No real good places, and I have no means of welding anything.

My oil temp sender is just in a special drain plug, the wire has a blade disconnect so that it wont twist too much and snap.

20. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Passed on from a friend:

There are two places where it is thick enough to thread the pan, one is between two vertical threaded bosses on the crank pulley side, although the space is limited to only 20mm wide, and the other is a threaded boss on the corner, same side. This boss takes a M10X1.5 bolt, and is 29.5mm deep, the entire length is 35mm. If you had a sending unit that small with a long probe, the back side could be ground down to expose the end,and the existing threads could be utilized. Oil pan thickness averages 5mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]