Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Updated - April, 2010 - Magnetic Drain Plugs after 4.5K miles

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Passed on from a friend:

There are two places where it is thick enough to thread the pan, one is between two vertical threaded bosses on the crank pulley side, although the space is limited to only 20mm wide, and the other is a threaded boss on the corner, same side. This boss takes a M10X1.5 bolt, and is 29.5mm deep, the entire length is 35mm. If you had a sending unit that small with a long probe, the back side could be ground down to expose the end,and the existing threads could be utilized. Oil pan thickness averages 5mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scott@txwerks

scott@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you not at all worried that it becomes the lowest point on the oil pan?

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    PM sent

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying you add a quart of ATF onto the existing level of oil in a warm engine and drive a short distance and then drain?

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    A properly maintained engine that is using quality lubricants does not need these "miracle" cures. Additives to quality engine oil should only be considered when there is a specific issue that an additive may help, such as lifters that may be varnished up. If you have an engine that due to lack of care, has a build up of sludge, I don't think I would want to knock it all loose and have that garbage flowing through all the bearings and other machined surfaces in my engine. Buy quality oil and maintain it properly based on your driving habits and your engine will stay clean and run a long, long time.

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thats the plan

Kind of interesting that my SA also does not subscribe to the once a year oil change promoted by MINI! His is still under warranty and he pays for one and the next under maint warranty.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes!

For other posts commenting regarding my suggestion pertaining to using ATF may I suggest research as to how an oil system works on an internal combustion 4 cycle air cooled gasoline engine and also how the filter system functions on these engines. May I also suggest reading about the properties and many usages of ATF. Some may find it interesting to see that nowhere does the information give warning to the use of ATF as a temporary crankcase cleanser in a gasoline engine ? If someone where to find information contrary to my recommendation please post it so that I may correct myself in the future.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just because no one says you can't shouldn't mean you can/should. And I have never seen a bottle of ATF advertised as a oil flush agent.

And after a quick google.............no definitive yes answer, just a lot of hearsay. But a lot of no's

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #29 Nitrominis, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Just one factual listing will suffice.. :lol:
    Hey can you find why atf is traditionally red? :lol:

Honestly if you all have the experience in feeling its wrong who am I to suggest help?:cornut:

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    ATF is dyed red to distinguish it from motor oil.

There is nothing chemically in ATF that would make it a better cleaner than engine oil. Most ATF's are 0w-20 or 5w-20 grades, so by thinning out the old oil it may drain more completely. This may be where using ATF as an engine flush got started.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There may have been a time, back when Motor Oil was made from the dead plants and not in a lab and we all used heavier weights like 20w50, that adding some ATF to the crankcase before a change made sense. Being a lighter weight lubricant it would thin down the contents of the crankcase allowing for a more thorough drain. However, in these time of 5w20 and even thinner 0 weight oils the thinning of the cranckcase contents is not needed.

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: on the color !!

The second portion is incomplete but sound enough. atf has more **detergents and anti foaming properties then refined oil used primarily in the crankcase.
    The federal Government requires a chemical formulation and EPA breakdown annually on all petroleum products refined and/or sold in the US. You can fine some very useful information like wear factor and ash contents to find the truth to which oils are really the best for a specific application.

** simple test if you have an oil stain in your driveway use atf and rinse with water. Then come back and tell me "There is nothing chemically in ATF that would make it a better cleaner than engine oil" :lol:

Please try it before you respond...OK!

13. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im going to try this.

and i just ordered the magnetic drain plug

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Has anyone done a couple of oil changes after using this? If so, how much additional debris did this capture after the initial use?

15. not-so-rednwhitecooper

Aug 5, 2009
    mechanic
    Chardon, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully none.

You shouldn't have any (or much) debris after the first oil change, once the rings seat. The rings shouldn't wear substantially after that.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That's kind of what I was thinking.......so why get one of these to only capture what is in the pan and not really causing any harm to anything? The metal should stay in the pan or get caught in the filter.............. right?

17. not-so-rednwhitecooper

Aug 5, 2009
    mechanic
    Chardon, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should. Some of the material will probably make it past the filter and just settle in the bottom of the pan. If there is any sludge on the bottom, it will probably become embedded in that.

That garbage has a habit of finding its way into all kinds of little nooks and crannys, so over a couple of oil changes with a magnet, you should get just about all that material out of the crankcase.

It couldn't hurt to have to help you know of an impending failure though.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'll be doing another change of both engine and gear oil at our next MetroplexMINI DIY day Oct 31. Neither really needs it but I'm doing it to document what the magnets pickup.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  20. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the oil temp sensor on cars (where it's threaded into the drain plug) where do the later cars with the Chrono package have their temp sensor? I thought it was possibly near the filter housing but can't confirm this, maybe swapping to that setup for a sending unit would be ideal rather than tapping the pan somewhere else.

As for ATF in the oil as a flush, I'm skeptical since one would think if ATF made a good cleaning agent it would be marketed as such. I'd feel much better about using something like the Seafoam system for cleaning and even that I'm not 100% sold on (although I may try it soon since I plan to replace the plugs and O2 sensor before too long)