Pre Migration Updates to Member Policy 3/10/2011

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've updated the member policy for Motoring Alliance.

The changes are as follows:

Added - Motoring Alliance exists as an online forum for MINI enthusiasts to present and discuss their ideas and opinions. The site's ownership and administration will not support, nor decide which ideas and opinions are right, or wrong. They will enforce the sites rules and guidelines to assure that the conversation remains civil and appropriate for the majority of the membership.

Added - 1.1 We are here to help:
    Please don't be shy about asking for help or offering help... this is one significant reason we are here. It will be our goal to provide one of the most informative, accurate and useful MINI forums on the net.

Added the following line Item 3 - Do not post email addresses in the forum for public view, especially if it is not your own. Spambots will pick these up too easily.

I don't think any of these are onerous in any fashion but it is a change from the Member Policy that was in place when you registered.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So Nathan are you saying that "Butt dynos" are now accepted? As a "butt dyno" is actually the same as an opinion. So is the thread that Mike started coming back?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No, that thread is gone.

Frankly it caused at a lot of inflammatory posts by others. Remove the source of the flame and fire goes out.

I am really really really not trying to be heavy handed but some people just don't get it. My responsibility is to the vast majority of people that visit this site, not those that want to consistently and constantly push their own agenda.

Jim, I thought we hashed all this out in that one thread you created about one-sidedness and the PM's we also exchanged.

4. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Ok, that thread is gone, ok, but......are "butt dynos" going to be valid opinions here or not? I'm just repeating what you said in your first post here. "The site's ownership and administration will not support, nor decide which ideas and opinions are right, or wrong." I was told last week unless numbers can be shown, opinions dont count, is that the case? And of course, "it caused at a lot of inflammatory posts by others", that's what, "their own agenda", is :frown5: Nathan I am not being jerk here, I am trying to get a level playing field for all vendors and members here, that's all :cool:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are butt dynos and butt dynoes and this my philosophy on them.

When a member buys a part and reports that to them it feels as if the car has eaten Wonder bread, that is it has built strong bones in 7 different ways, we all look at that, shake our heads in agreement while saying to ourselves. "Yeah, that could happen, thats a valid opinion"

However, when a site sponsor says the same thing in the same manner it is more suspect and open to a lot more scrutiny. While the sponsor may not be selling that item one has to look at all the factors. Is that sponsor trying to prop up another sponsor? Will that opinion cause trouble on the site as whole? Is that opinion well formed and will it contribute to overall well being and knowledge base of the site?

I do hold the sponsors to a different standard, I freely admit that fact. I expect more from a sponsor when it comes to stating opinion and showing the fact of the matter. For the most part every sponsor on this site always does operate in this manner. I appreciate and respect that as well. I've even turned down sponsorship from entities that I know do not live up to these ideals, so please don't accuse me of being in it for the money.

I do try to reign in those with agenda, and Jim, I know yours, I know minimarks and I know that of many others. I keep up with the goings on across the MINI realm on all the various forums. Some are lot more tolerant of the shenanigans, M/A is not. In the end this costs the site some traffic as controversy does certainly lead to very high post counts. But in the end that is not what M/A is about.

I've said it before and will reiterate it again...

Motoring Alliance is the kinder forum for MINI owners to exchange information, ideas and communicate.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I get pretty decent access to the behind the scenes stuff and have daily discussions with Nate about the site. I have not seen any complaints from vendors on the topic, nor was there a request from any of them for an advocate to take up the cause on their part. What agenda are we trying to forward now?

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I say somone contact his boss and tell him he's apparently not busy enough at work :D

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol:

Jim

9. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    No vendors? Really? I'm no vendors advocate. I'm an American doing what we do best, having an open discussion. Oh Mr PGT, I have the day off today :cornut: I'm over at Custom Mini Shop helping Steve replace a clutch, so not on the clock :lol:

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    No, you are and I quote once again:

"..trying to get a level playing field for all vendors and members here, that's all "

And the fact remains that we have not had a complaint from either group, vendor or member, for an advocate to take up the cause. While as an American you have every right to place your soap box in the middle of the town square and try to start a revolution, this is not America. This is Motoring Alliance, a private forum.

11. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Wow.....ok so maybe I am advocating for vendors, you have a problem with that? Anywho....good day mang.

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Of course I don't have a problem with it. Just pointing out that opinion is not the same as an agenda. It is up to you to decide if the effort to advocate for a nonexistent problem is worthwhile and it is up to me to enforce the site's guidelines. Thankfully, up till now my responsibility has not taken up too much time.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Jim, I can appreciate your wanting to be an advocate for the sponsors of this site. However, they do a pretty good job of calling or emailing me with their problems and concerns. They all have my contact info and many are not hesitant to call or email me to discuss issues. In fact in the Sponsors Only area there is a stickied post with all my contact info including both my home and mobile numbers as well as multiple email addresses and my physical address.

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    :crazy:

Sorry mate ( as they say) I know that this site is NOT for the freedom to express, IF you are not on board with the 'major few'. There should be NO need to have a dyno number for any mod.. NO NEED!! It was the first and best 'instigator' that started that, and yet never did produce any of his own numbers. It be came a way to shut down anyone who was trying to get a point across!!

It would seem to me that Nate/ members realize that a dyno cost a few bucks... and to run a dyno when there is a mode made is totally STUPIDly expensive. I wont do the 'talking in circles' (so the meaning has to be decided or determined from my meaning..')

I dont have the money to test and then dyno... My heads are dyno'd by a lot of customers.. ( and myself) I dont feel that my dynos should mean as much as a customer..

ANY ONE should be able to be excited about something he has done and not be chastised by it because he didnt run out and get a dyno!! WTF.. how many dynos do YOU have NATE/ members?? The SOP is a good expression, and is accepted everywhere ...UNLESS there are people trying to discredit. First it was on NAM, and now it is HERE!!

Because I am active on the forms.. and a lot of vendors are not.. It seems to be a good game to hammer my stuff!! LOL.. even though it has been PROVEN to do exactly what I say it does.. here in the USA/ the UK/ Germany/ Greece/ France and other places.. oh yes, even it redneck city of Orange Park. There IS a point when the average guy doesnt need to KEEP seeing a different dyno that shows the same results.. If a customer has any questions.. PM or Email. But by the time the 'Agenda' is fulfilled, most dont even care what the results are....it is just a ***** session. ( the word ***** session is a 'dog fight")

As for treating all of us the same.. no benefits for paying advertiser?? No benefits for the 'sponsors'.. they why ?? To post on a site that has 3500 people that are after each other?? to make sales to the public.. how is that happening, when IF there is a post it is destroyed!! Duh...

Nate.. people here on the site say your moderating is a good thing.. ?? As long as the 'few' know that you are in their corner.. they are like children, and will keep up their rederick, cause they know you have their backs!!

I was moderated in a thread.. that was owned by a vendor that said nothing.. and YOU decided to step in!! Cool... and pull the thread.. you were premature in doing so!!
    As it was said.. this isn't the USA it is a Forum MA. Just think about that a minute.....

Mike

15. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Oh... and I hear you said I was promoting Lynn as a tuner... WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THAT!!?? I was so excited on what could be done with the FA, I was jumping that some one helped me get a base (experimental TUNE). And where I come from.. it is good to show who helped. Again.. this isnt the USA it is MA!!

Mike

16. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    So much crying over such a little change... how silly. actually seems to make the site a even more friendly place for mini enthusiasts than it already was.
    Thumper, or Mike. Its the members prerogative on dynoing the car
    get used to the performance car scene where when determining a vehicles performance a dyno is a key measuring device commonly used. I know you don't use it and thats fine. just stop being so surprised when people ask you for one.
    I feel like i have diverted this thread enough so if you want to continue on this topic Feel free to PM me.

17. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    PM sent..

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The question I ask is "Where in the world did YOU get that?"

Remember the playground games we would play where Susie would tell Johnny something and then Johnny would tell Fred, Fred in turn would tell Patty and so forth. By the time it gets back to Susie the story had changed. Anything you may have heard about the conversation I had with others is at best second hand information to you. You and I traded a few PM's early in the week and at no point did I mention or even allude to what you state here.

I understand the excitement that a product such as the FA-R53 can bring. It is a powerful tool in right hands. If you look back at the PM's we traded you'll note I was not concerned about your exuberance but in the location the post was placed along with a lack of certain information I felt was important for you to add.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I noticed a typo in the thread subject line that I have fixed.

It was "Updated to Member Policy 3/10/2011"

It is now "Updates to Member Policy 3/10/2011"

20. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    NATE.. that is so wrong!! You didnt inform me that I was in a personal vendors thread ( as we , other vendors, dont have that option) until you pulled the thread.

You said nothing about 'showing proof' until you moderated the post!!

The game of rumor is just that.. however you can use that if you wish..
    I feel that you are so tainted from the past, that YOU think everyone has an agenda... Yes we have had a few PMs back and forth, however it seems that you have not wanted to listen to anyone's side , save your buddies.

I and Lynn have a bad taste with you because we hammer the Jan Crew when they attempt to miss lead. well that is something that needs to be addressed and then all your problems will be gone!! EVERYONE Knows minimark/longboard/Jan.. blah blah...
    There is no need for this.. and the system wont change..

Thumper