1st Gen R50 Cooper Urgent help needed!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by RallyMini370, Jul 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    2 developments. the fuel we had tested positive for water contamination and the Insurance guy is going to see the Mini today with my co-driver. We might have a strong case brewing here.

2. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #82 Systemlord, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Nope just my personal experience, but make it out to be whatever you want because frankly I don't give a ****! Or maybe it's because eMINIparts is a Motoring Alliance Sponsor which I just found out which is probably why you didn't mention anything about BlimeyCabrio post below. I feel I can recommend anyone I want without harassment! It must be the heat.

Does this mean BlimeyCabrio post also sounds like a public service announcement... Or worse? (no offense to BlimeyCabrio) Sounds like a double standard to me.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Heat has nothing to do with it. I'm well acclimated... And that goes for this site too.

4. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I always welcome recommendations to save $$$$$$$$$$$. The dealer says they will try the injectors today. Mr insurance guy viewed the Mini and will return when it's running.

5. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Systemloard...if you want to recommend good suppliers, please start your own thread. I have learned a lot from this thread and I really don't want to see it 'mucked'up and going off point. I am interested in learning the solution to the problem, not who is the best parts supplier.

6. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    The latest...

I would like to inform you that we already clean and replaced injectors (provided for you), but exactly same symptom condition continues.

According with this and the others test we made, we think the roots cause of this symptom is not fuel problem, we think it is electronic problem; it could be computer setting (electronic system failure). At this moment we think to solve the problem its necessary back to the original computer setting (this involves uninstalling parts, throttle body controller, sensors or others components not genuine that’s affected the original system performance) because we occupy technical support from factory and in this condition no given technical support from factory side.

The cost of the job made at this moment is ¢120.000 + taxes. The budget for the requested solution is open time, because at this moment we don’t know how long will take the solution due to it is a difficult troubleshooting / diagnosis for the electronic failure on the engine. We never have seen this failure in another MINI before.

In case you don’t want back to the standard electronic system, please let me know.

So the bill is $220 so far which is not to bad. I'm not convinced that the fuel was not the problem but hey electrical stuff goes pop over night. I know one thing, if I had run the rally on that crappy fuel the engine would have been toast.

Back to the plot. I had the Way motorworks ECU map which required me to send the ECU,Alarm,ignition key etc to Way motors for them to re-map the ECU which is a lengthy process. Is there anyway I can re-map the ECU myself? You can see the dealer says this job is an open ticket=$$$$$$$

Apart from the ECU map, everything else is OEM parts. I thinking to take the Mini back home and figure it out over the next few months with a little help from my friends.

7. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Wow that sounds complicated for a tune. RMW has flash loader and you can load tunes from your own laptop and it can be done remotely.

8. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, glad the thread creator appreciates my recommendation to save $$$$ since he stated he couldn't afford it ^^. That's why I informed him that he didn't have to pay dealer retail markup prices.

Also for the record I never stated who is the best parts supplier, please get your facts strait before you post please. Funny I don't see you or the other self serving, rude and condescending poster blasting BlimeyCabrio for his recommendation for eMINIparts! I'm willing to bet if I had recommended eMINIparts like BlimeyCabrio did I wouldn't have received any harassment. So if you prefer to continue to muck-up this thread it is of your doing, not mine.

The end for me on this OT, enough said!

9. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    No disrespect to the dealer but I don't think they have clue for anything other than text book stuff. I'm requesting what they did so far. So I can load a tune from my lap top...mmmmm interesting.

10. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    That's it!! I'm bringing the Mini home. Then I will start again the search for the cure next week. I'm still with fuel damage and sensors....time to get creative!!!

11. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Systemlord... please PM me if you want to ague further...

12. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'll asist you in anyway I can logging files from Dash Command using Scan-XL Pro to view those files and we can actually log some real-time data and see what the sensors are reporting to the ECU. It's shocking that the Mini dealers don't have the ability to do data logging while driving on their own cars that they sell and service! Let us know when you get Scan-XL and Dash Command installed and we can help you set everything up.

Somehow I doubt you would even reply since there's no public audience to perform in front of and attempt to impress your new forum buddies. It's just a hunch...

13. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Could be a pressure regulator is plugged up.
    And systemlord, calm down please.

14. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Thanks systemlord. seeing as I don't have an Android device and I'm leaving on Sunday I quickly ordered this from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PYBZJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Should be a bit better than the code only reader I have now. The 02 sensor showed up and I think the crank sensor and injectors should be here tomorrow.

Colin,

I do have an adjustable regulator from GTT which I've never used....might be a good time to try it...

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Good luck Chris. I know this is beyond a pain in the arse for you. Hang in there you'll get it. :fingerscrossed:

16. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    ok.............NEVER..................EVER................USE NON FACTORY MAP SENSORS OR o2 SENSORS.......................NEVER

I have found so many F-d up cars out there with someone trying to save a few bucks and some of these o2 sensors bought on the cheap have ruined ecus. Same with coil packs..........USE THE STOCK ONES, the others have burned out ignitors on the ecu's

17. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    A little calcification Jan if you please, I noticed I might be needing a new MAF sensor and on some sites they list both genuine Mini parts non-Mini parts, but it just so happens that Bosch manufactures both MAF sensors and even share the same manufactured part numbers, but certainly don't share the price! Can you provide some calcification on that please because the last thing I want is to be scratching my head wondering what the heck is going on?

Thank you Jan.

18. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'm assuming you'll be plugging into a laptop, if so your laptop has Bluetooth all you need is a OBD-II Bluetooth adapter. I used the fastest OBD-II Bluetooth adapter I know of, the OBDLink MX Bluetooth which isn't that expensive at all. For logging I don't believe a scan tool alone is going to do the job, you need an interface between your OBD-II port an either a smart phone with dash command of even better a laptop connected to your OBD-II adapter either via Bluetooth or wired connection.

In either case you want to use Scan-XL since it's mostly free for evaluation purposes and many that have tunes use it to view logged data. It will show you all data from all sensors that the ECU is receiving.

19. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I have a Bosch 02 sensor on the Mini since 2013 . I read they make the 02 sensor for BMW so I figured I should be good. For sure I would not be buying some Chinese junk for the Mini. Regarding the other parts I've always bought used low mileage parts with thinking a 40,000 mile part has to be better than a 130,000 mile. As this is going to be a process of eliminate the original parts quote from Emini was $1500 which was an awesome price but a little over my budget. This visit I have a another Bosch 02 sensor, re-manufactured OEM injectors, a used cam sensor, OEM spark plugs and a bucket of luck!

I have a ODB2 port cable to hook up to my lap top. I have installed the software and need to test it next week.

I did some reading of my build thread and noticed I had a miss fire issue at idle which cleared its self once I drove the Mini. Maybe some real time driving might clear the issue? I've got 3 weeks...hahaha

20. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    im sure one of those odd ball parts is whats causing the problems you are having.
    and to me smart phone loggers are useless.