Valeo Single Mass Clutch Kit Feel

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by cvs334, Feb 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cvs334

cvs334 New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, we just blew out the throwout bearing in our 2006 R52 Mini Cooper S. Unfortunately, I needed to have a shop do it since both bays at home have two engines out already, and we need a running car:)

When the shop got it apart they said the dual mass needed to be replaced since it was flopping around and needed resurfacing anyway. They suggested the Valeo kit. So we said GO, even though they were charging over $2k for the job (also needed a slave). Anyway, the job is done ... the clutch works, but there is almost no pedal pressure. It feels like mush. Doesn't have the same feel jamming through the gears, it doesn't seem to hit the same.

We have 7 manuals ... and this is by far the worse including the 4-cylinder FWD Infiniti G20 and former Honda Civics.

One other thing is they went through 3 slaves before finding one that worked. This was a huge red flag since it's rare to get a bad "NAPA" slave, so 3 in a row tells me something else is wrong.

I read the kit has a lower pedal pressure but is it really that radical? Any thoughts?

Fortunately, the shop has another manual mini in so they know how it should feel.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #2 MCS02, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    When I put in the Valeo clutch kit in my R53 it was a little lighter. But it sounds to me like they did not get the slave bled properly. They are a pain in the rear. I doubt there was three bad slaves in a roll also.
    To bleed the slave you have to compress it all the way. You can do this with a block of wood or I have a timing gear puller I use to compress it.
    [​IMG]
    the way I use it is to take the center bolt out then I use the two bolts to go through the block and attach to the slave. The plunger on the slave will center where the puller bolt was, then tighten down on the two bolts on the slave and that will keep the slave compressed.. hope that make sense. Just tighten the bolts evenly and not tight.
    Then use a pressure bleeder. Some times even then air gets trapped in the master cylinder. I found that if you put the clutch pedal on the floor then bleed it with the pressure bleeder till all the air is out close the bleed valve, remove the pressure bleeder and then pull the clutch pedal up slowly you should be good to go. I have tried to bleed one for two days till I found out the pedal should be on the floor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
  4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I've installed several of these and they work beautifully, the pedal effort is substantially lighter, especially compared to a worn OEM clutch - they gradually get stiffer and sometimes you don't notice just how hard they are to push till you get a new one!
    I agree they don't have all the air out of the system, follow the tips above and it will work perfectly.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Simple fix, have a local MINI dealership, if you have one around bleed it for you. It should not cost much and they have the correct tools and know the process.

6. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    The Valeo clutch works well as a OEM alternative. It's lighter, meaning it takes more rpms else it will stall the motor. I did not notice it getting stiffer as time went by. On the track this clutch would heat up and slip especially after about 10min WOT and through gears 4-5 (sometimes 3-4). If you're not tracking the car and keeping HP under 250 its fine. I'm on a clutch masters FX400 8-puck and like it much better (better than OEM, Spec, Valeo). Quicker engagement, can take the abuse on track and not overly stiff like a pure race clutch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. cvs334

cvs334 New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all for the input. The repair shop did finally get it bled and working better. It still is very light, but based on what people are saying here and on other threads, this is ok. I can sell the car now without guilt:)

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    Thanks for the update and good luck with your sale.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Post some pictures over on your sale thread.