Vendor Alert-Tunershop

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by TGS91, Aug 13, 2009.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Guys,

Wanted to give you a heads up that you might want to think twice before doing business with this outfit.

I bought a set of wheels from them and must take responsibility that I did not do my research well enough that 8.5" rims would be a look that I was not going for on my MINI. Could have helped if they had more pictures which they shared with me after the fact.

Problems are-
    -They take about 14 days to ship a order and they were very uncommunicative in my attempts to get tracking info
    -While they have a US website stating a address in Nevada they do business and ship from Germany
    -When I discovered their wheels did not fit my needs they tried to tell me that they would not take the wheels back for credit if I paid return shipping which is the terms and conditions stated on their website. I had to send a very nasty email pointing this out to get a RMA#
    -As they are really doing business from Germany you have to ship back to Germany (around $500 shipping for the set of wheels)
    -As I am not a experienced international shipper I did not fill out the correct paperwork with Fedex so I got slapped with VAT tax and Customs Duties, another $500
    -I found out from FedEX that the company can deduct these VAT taxes from their own business taxes. So far 2 emails requesting them to make this right have gone unanswered. Looks like I am stuck

Tale of the tape....make darn sure if you choose to do business with this outfit that you know exactly what you are getting and it fits your needs exactly cause the consequences are very, very expensive.

Personally I can think of many many US vendors that are easier and less costly to do business with. Needless to say I will not be doing business in this lifetime with Tunershop.

Please take my experience and hopefully not make the same mistake

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Ouch. Sorry to hear you had a bad (and expensive) experience.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #3 Nitrominis, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I think that about sums it up. Tunershop is a company meant to be used by the major wheel whores out there among euro owners. They know exactly what size they need and the perfect offset for their application. Tunershop just acts as a company to help these wheel enthusiasts to import rare wheels from Germany.

Tunershop is well known for being a German importer as they import all the rare wheels that you can't get here in the US.

I buy alot of my stuff from Tunershop and love them. They aren't as beginner-user friendly as a company like Tire Rack...but that's not really what they're there for. Tunershop is meant to offer rare, exclusive wheels to the hardcore wheel enthusiasts out there who know exactly what they need. They do this particular job quite well. They leave it up to the customer to determine what fits, so it's not as 'helpful' as some US companies in that sense.

With that said, sorry you had such a frustrating time dealing with them. It sucks when so many things keep adding up against you :nonod: If you ever have wheel fitment questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can help you with whatever fitment numbers you need worked out.

5. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

Nice:Thumbsup:

Rally, not to hijack, is there a demand; need; want; for 5 lug hubs? Are there any blank (no holes) hubs to be had?

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, how I'd love for a 5 lug hub option that we could bolt on. I've been comparing and measuring some of the options out there hoping that perhaps some of the BMW hubs would be transferable....but no such luck:( There are some companies willing to drill blank hubs, but it's often VERY expensive so I've shied away.

What I can offer you is some thin (15mm) adapters that can now adapt to any 5-lug pattern....not just the limited 5x130 (porsche) options. They are readily available for r50/52/53's, and I'm compiling a list of people that are interested in a version for R55/56's. If that's something that interests you....shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further.:cornut:

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Nevada has the best corporate privacy laws in the country. You can also use a third party to register your US corporation....either 'new' or 'existing'....i.e. if I wanted to open ''wheelwhoremall.com", I could pay about $10k and have a corporation registered in NV since 2002. To banks, customers and suppliers, it would appear that I've been in business a long time but am really a brand new company.

no relevance to your predicament other than explaining why the NV registry for this vendor.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Another heads up to vette out possible scumbags. Appreciated PGT!