Question Interior R52 Convertible Vert Roll Bar

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Whine not Walnuts, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    OK yee repository of Gen1 MINI knowledge. Has anybody installed an aftermarket roll bar in the Vert that allows the rear seats and top to remain in place? Autopower appears to say there street unit does.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    I have not. Do you have a link? What made you decide to put another roll bar in?

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Ask BlimeyCabrio [if he still writes on M/A, that is].

4. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    The guy with the GP open top has that bar that he fitted a two piece top to and would assume it was a custom fabrication. Of the pictures I have seen of his R52 there was not a second roll bar.

There are rolling crash videos of tests performed on several cabrios including the R52 and it did extremely well. I am thinking the the bars will support 3 times the weight of the vehicle. I already wear a Schroth when I am doing some spirited runs but would not mind having another metal bar above and closer to my head if I could still have the top function.

I plan on calling Autoworks and see what they have to offer.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    I would not wear a Schroth in a soft top without a proper roll bar. The bar MINI has is way far back. If the windshield header flattens your neck now becomes part of the roll structure.

6. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    There are inherent dangers anytime one gets into or onto a motor vehicle and is on the highway. I lost my younger brother in a car accident as while he was stopped at a traffic light a drunk did not stop and hit his car from the rear. I was broadsided causing my Chevy Blazer to roll over and in the words of a witness "bounce around like a ping pong ball."

The Schroth is used to keep my ass in the car seat as the odds are better if you are in the car than if you are thrown out. I enjoy a convertible and if God says my number is up while in my MINI then I will meet my maker with a smile on my face.

I called Autopower and they do not make a unit for a MINI convertible.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    @Whine not Walnuts
    Paul @BlimeyCabrio is the best guy to talk to. I think he has done several roll bars in R52's. You could try sending him a conversation but I haven't seen a post from him in a long time. Heres a link to his web sight you may find some contact info there.
    http://www.gproadster.com

8. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Paul had a custom 4-point roll bar made and after he rolled that car car he went with a 6-point cage for the roadster. Both custom fabricated and weld in place.

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Condolences to you on the loss of your brother.

We all take chances & deem what is safe for us. If it's ok for you that's all that matters. I was just trying to help. The cosmic muffin may determine our fate, but we can also help by being smart in the things we do.

A race shop with a good fab guy & welder could make you a nice roll bar.

10. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    There is a shop in North Carolina that does bars and cages, Hard Dog. I am going to talk with them. I am wondering whether a bar that attaches to the floor behind the front seat and then struts back to the Gen1 Roll Bar and connects in some manner could work.

When someone dies young, they are "frozen in time." They do not age or go through the loss of other loved ones. Loved ones are left with only "what could have been." His second son was born 6 weeks after he died. They were coming back from a Lemaze course.

I approach any intersection with caution that I never even considered before my rollover. I was going around 35 mph as I was slowing down for a speed zone approaching a village. It was the hardest hits I every experienced and I cannot even fathom what a race car driver feels with the speeds they are going,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Hard Dog does very good work. I'd mount the main hoop to the floor behind the front seats. It seems running the braces to the rear near where the struts mounts would be good. If Hard Dog does the work they will know where the best place is. Also once mounted your car will essentially become a two seater. Pad the roll bar well. You don't want to add a safety device that will break your head & kill you.

It's funny first time on the track you are like holy shirt!!! Then each time it gets easier. You get used to the speed & the traffic. My racing wasn't of the high speed kind, but I was going as fast as my old Japanese car would go. Huge fun! Those were the days.:D

12. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    This is what I have thought about and have sent it over to Hard Dog. Will see what he comes back with. Convertible Roll Bar.jpg

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    That is hart braking! I am sorry it happened.

14. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    I am trying to keep the seats in place so I am looking at how I can deform the outer corners so that bar will pass by.

On Blimey, I believe he has a M3 now. I do know that he has been having his butt handled to him in his "GP" by a lowly R53 with allot less HP at the track and AXs. Goes to prove that engine and suspension modifications mean nothing, it is the person that sits behind the wheel that makes the difference. He lives in the next town over from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    With my S4S four point bar you have to remove the rear seat.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    LOL. To be fair, I’ve done like 4 or 5 autoX events ever, and the only other guy who typically runs a Mini has years of every-weekend experience. So I sure as heck would hope he would be handing my my butt. On the track, me and the GPR were holding our own, the couple of times I tracked it and kept it on the pavement. So yeah, driving matters.

As do the bar, my first was a weld-in 4 point that coexisted with the folding top, but not the back seats. I approached Hard Dog twice about doing a Mini bar; they declined both times. I wish you luck.

And yeah, I have an E90 M3 daily driver now. Still have the GPR, not running at the moment due to a vicious rodent attack.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Paul! your back!!

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male