Vuvuzela Overload - or why I stopped watching World Cup

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Vuvuzela has to be the most annoying sound out there. I was trying to watch World Cup coverage but the constant din of the Vuvuzela has chased me away. I could mute the sound but then I'd miss the commentary that helps me understand the action, or lack of. I'd also miss the oohs, aahs and coordinated songs that usually permeate soccer matches.

Kill off the Vuvuzela, I'll watch World Cup again.

2. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  3. wotagame

wotagame New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am a big soccer fan, and while it does not make it unwatchable for me (after all it is the World Cup) I agree with you Nathan, it is annoying as heck...

This writer thought so as well...
    [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5288738"]2010 World Cup: Rick Reilly runs down the 10 most annoying things about the World Cup - ESPN[/ame]

4. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I dont see why everyone makes such a big deal about it. I guess I'm too busy watching the game to care. There's always been noise makers, cow bells, and horns. You can always mute it... I dunno. It's just not something I can let ruin the greatest World event to me.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It may be just be the frequency band of these dreaded things. The din tends to block out a lot of the other sound. After a bit I get a headache from it. Mute is not really an option as I'm not well versed in the nuances of the game. The commentary keeps me involved.

6. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Watch it with the sound running through your home theater instead of the tv .. then use the equalizer to take out the frequency of the vuvu's

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That assumes I have such a rig...

Somewhat TV challenged. No, DVD, no Blu-ray, no vcr, just a simple small DVR from Verizon for FiOS TV that I don't watch more than an hour or so day unless there is a race on. I'm very happy with that setup too.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That's almost as annoying as race announcers,color commentators and playbyplay men who can't shut up or even seem to take a breath thru a whole race!

9. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    LMAO over the sturm und drang being raised about these "new" sports noise makers. Ain't nothing "new" about them. They were super popular in college sports back in the '60s, especially football. You wouldn't believe the sound that +80K of them would make in the LA Coliseum. I used to shove my trumpet mouth piece in one and then that puppy would REALLY put out the decibels!! Hey, it was a break from burning down the local recruiting stations, LOL. :devil:

10. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    oh i cant put up with the vuvuzela's...because they are annoying and because news agencies are so interested in them...someone tried to bring one to yankee stadium and was run out of there...but whats worse is that the florida marlins were giving out vuvuzelas to people attending the game...you can see people pissed and trying to cover their ears and even the annoucers were pissed...but i think they showed players wearing earplugs

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    But that's the point. I want to hear the noise makers, cow bells and horns. I want to hear the drums and roar of the crowd as it supports its team and cheers exciting plays. I even like hearing the commentators. The vuzuvu... vuuvze.. vuvu... whatever, drown everything out.

12. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
  13. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    haha well I hope you're watching right now. This match has barely any of the horns compared to the cup first started.

If it helps, from what I've heard Vuvuzela is pronounced "Uwe Seeler"

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep.. just got done watching. It has gotten better.

15. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking it's wearing off. Guess we'll see at the next match. ;)

16. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I hate it. I've been to see DC United vs. BOCA Juniors and BOCA vs. River Plate at La Bombonera in Buenos Aires and noise is the norm. But, not that ****.

17. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
  18. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings: