2nd Gen R60 Countryman Wanted - Comfort access - can it be added?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by papa-j, Jun 13, 2013.

1. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks. My 2012 Countryman S All4.
    Can I get comfort access/keyless added to my existing 2012 used Countryman? My bmw sales guy says it is a new order option, but not after the delivery....so wondering what y'all know for ways to address this desire.

Spoiled with my Mazda and Toyota no key happiness......

-Steve J

2. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'm no help to your question but I gotta say I've been quite happy with my comfort access. Makes life so much easier lol.

3. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, papa-j, Comfort Access relies on a set of transceiver antennas in various parts of the car. They'd have to do some serious major surgery to put them into a car that's already built, in addition to the added hardware (e.g., different door handles). The cost would be outrageous, even if you could convince someone to do the job. :cryin:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Everything can be added for the right amount of money, after all Stealerships are in business to take your money.

5. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback folks....I honestly didn't think I cared one way or the other when we bought it, but lately I drive it more often and noticed the difference.

It is not worth expending a bunch of cash at this point, but this feature will be looked for on the next MINI.

6. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    As a very recent purchaser (I've owned my Mini for a grand total of eight days--not quite 500 miles on the car, so far), I can say that I'm extremely pleasantly surprised at how much I like the comfort access feature. (I don't mean to rub salt in your wounds. I've got loads of buyer's remorse for not getting the "connected" feature, so I know the feeling of "oooh, shoulda...") I initially got it because my wife is brutal on car keys. I won't bother going into details, but we've spent hundreds of dollars replacing lost or broken keys over the last few years. The "flying saucer" key for the Mini costs several hundred dollars to replace (even my dealer couldn't give me a definite price, but he went pale when I asked him). So we figured that comfort access would allow us to keep the key in a pocket or purse. And there are some very nice cases out there to hold them (we got one in leather and one in silicone), for extra protection. But we've really loved the convenience of the system. Just walk up to the car and go! In hindsight, even without the increased longevity that I'm expecting for the keys, comfort access was definitely the right way to go.

But, as you observed, it's just something to put on the list for the next Mini!

7. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    This is one of those features that is very difficult to give up once you get used to having it. If I get into a car that is still started by inserting a key into the ignition and turning, it honestly takes me a second to remember what must be done. It's kind of sad, but I do love the convenience of never taking my keys out of my pocket to open doors and start the car.

8. ASKtheteach

ASKtheteach New Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL! I'm on my third MINI, a 2012 Countryman (had a 2006 R50 and a 2010 R56 before it) with Comfort Access, and I absolutely love it. Your comment definitely struck a note with me. My wife and I just returned from St. Maarten, where we had a rental Nissan POS (the roads there are truly awful!). It had the old-fashioned ignition where you insert and turn a traditional metal key. I kept trying to find the start button on the dash!