Warranty vs HPDE?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by erica, Sep 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If I take my car to an HPDE event, with instructor in the car, not a timed/racing event, will my MINI warranty cover anything that wears out a little quicker as a result of being there? I am receiving conflicting opinions, one of which is from my dealer. Is there a place online or otherwise where I can find the facts?

Thanks people!

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well if you did not ask your dealer or tell them they would have never known.

I bet now they will try fight every warranty claim now unless its a recall.

What the dealership does not know helps you keep your money in YOUR pocket.

3. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your opinion, but I'm still looking for the actual answers. I haven't gone to the track yet, and they used it as an example in a conversation without my having asked, none of which is any of your concern. I asked a very specific question here. Thanks again!

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    There is nothing I know of in writing. I know a lot of M3 owners have fought with the BMW. Their was a run of M3 motors that had bad bearings. BMW blamed it on the fact that the cars were tracked. The owners said the car was designed for the track. BMW ended up extending the warranty to 100,000 miles tracked or not. I know your are asking about Mini but BMW is the rule maker.
    Have you checked the warranty section of the owners manual? Dealers very some are cool about it some aren't.
    I agree with Dave.O what I do with my MINI is not their concern as long as it not abuse. A HPDE event is not abuse.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You will not find a definitive answer in writing. There are some dealers that's sponsor HPDE events for their customers and not bat an eye at warranty coverage. At the other end of the spectrum are dealers that will work hard to deny any coverage at the mere mention you were near a track. Each dealer is unique in this regard.

However, any dealer that shuns you for attending a sanctioned HPDE, such as those put on by the BMW CCA, is not a friendly one.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You asked I answered.

There is no specific YES or NO answer to your question because it is entirely up to the dealership and MINI/BMW and what "future mystery part" needs warranty work after any non regular driving.

I am sure if your wiper motor fails they would have no problem covering it.

Now if your rotors get warped, brake lines fail or pads are glazed from excessive braking at any "Event" they may try to blame that on abuse or non the intended use.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ......and to add to the mix, you car insurance will NOT cover any claims you may have that occur at an HPDE/track day.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ and that is 100% correct.

9. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    THIS was a meaningful answer. Thank you! I guess what I'm trying to gauge is the part about them "trying to blame" things on so-and-so without discussion. I know a friendly dealership about 90 minutes away, so if this happens I will definitely be using them for anything related. Just wish this didn't have to feel like a drug deal. And yes, it's a BMW CCA course.

(You did indeed answer earlier, but it was an answer to a different question, not one I posed.) :)

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Whatever good luck, have FUN, and hopefully you will never have anything happen that any dealership will question.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Not necessarily. At an HPDE, non-timed, that meets the requirements of an educational event, mine covers, i.e. a BMWCCA event with classroom instruction. At an open track session i.e. MVP track time, it does not. It's dependent on the insurance. I suspect in the very near future though you will be correct in that no insurance will cover it. I'm pretty sure after this year that will be gone from my insurance. The other issue for those of us older with kids is life insurance; you might want to check your policy here too.

This is one you need to individually check with your insurance, recognizing if you do and they say no, there is absolutely no getting out of any accident that occurs on the track.

12. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe every bit of this--but am more wondering about things like warranty brakes/rotors/things when I bring it in for routine service. (She's not quite a year old.) Not wrecking on the track. Yikes.

13. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan--I am definitely at a non-friendly dealership, and the next 3 are 1-1.5 hours away. Which is not to say I won't use them for things regarding this, if the matter comes up. If there's nothing in writing, it seems they'd have to be able to be talked into shutting up, but my guys don't like to budge. They also don't always tell the truth. I'm not even certain if I should be getting my "free" oil changes there. They are really fighting me on doing an every-5K change.

14. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They've got this on the minusa.com site. See the word "supporting"?
    I should print it out and bring it in!!

SLAYING GIANTS SINCE 1959.
    With super-wide stances, ultra-rigid bodies and incredibly precise handling, MINIs have always felt right at home on the track. In fact, the whole reason MINIs tend to have contrasting roofs is that back in the 60’s it helped them stand out from the pack during races (of course, being out in front usually helped too). Today, our passion for racing lives on, whether it’s supporting amateur owners out for a bit of out-of-the-ordinary weekend fun or developing world-class racing programs to lead the charge in some of the sport’s most grueling challenges.

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    What you quote has been a point of contention from day one. MINI advertises how great the car is on the track, then offers no support whatsoever if you actually track your car.

Every dealer is different. Some won't void warranties on modded cars, mine didn't. Some will look for any excuse NOT to honor the warranty, even for the tiniest of modifications, it's so variable you have to really check with each individual dealer.

You wear out rotors and pads quickly on the track, and many/most dealers won't cover that. And that's fair; rotors/pads are a track expense, and IMHO it's a bit much to expect the dealer to replace rotors/pads every 4 events.

Is this your first track event? One really won't put too much wear on the car, if it's your first time out. If you're experienced on the track, you'll wear out stock pads pretty darned quick. They may get you for the pads and possibly the front rotors (rear pads and rotors will be safe). Belts shouldn't be an issue.

Is this a one-off type of thing, or are you thinking you're going to be doing this more than once? I think you can get away with it once. I doubt you'll be able to get away with it twice, the wear will be too obvious. Dave's right though--now that you've already asked the dealer, if they know who you are, you're probably hosed on front pad life and possibly front rotor life; they'll use any excuse. If they don't know who made the call, odds are in your favor you can get in a novice first time track HPDE in under the radar. Beyond that though the odds are not in your favor.

How are you prepping the car for the track?

16. erica

erica New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Answering cct1 via private message...

17. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    On the insurance thing I have heard more then a few times, ( and know of 1 first hand ) that people that have had a "small" mishap, usually not a wreck but a part failure, yet still drivable, to drive it down the road a ways and then call the wrecker via the MINI 24 Hour Roadside assistance and just say it quit running, or started making a noise etc. Now if you wreck the car then you have to stage a "crash scene" down the road and involves alittle more thinking which I won't go into here!!!

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    As far as your car being covered under warranty for anything you might wear out prematurely on track. Well maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on your dealer & what the wear is. As has been said don't tell your dealer you are running on a track.

I know of one person who wrote his car off at a BMW HPDE / School. His insurance paid his claim. I think that is a very rare thing to happen, be careful out there.

Have fun at the HPDE. :Thumbsup:

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I think a lot depends upon how well you maintain your car in the first place. Sure, an HPDE is tough on a car, but so is driving on the Dragon and the surrounding roads, as well as on twisties in your area. I don't see how a dealer can separate the two and talk about voiding a warranty. Just my 2c.

I track my MCS at BMWCCA HPDEs and I go to MOTD, as well as drive on all sorts of twisties. My car is an '06 and I bought it new. It now has 91k of track, twisty, interstate, and daily driving miles. I keep it maintained and the dealer has NEVER questioned any parts wearing out prematurely or claimed that the warranty was abused.

I agree with Nathan about having HPDE insurance if you are really worried, but again, it still comes down to choices you make when driving. The HPDE is for fun and for learning how to apex and the "line". There will always be hotdogs out there who will drive like perfect idiots, but again, it comes down to YOU. You do not have to push your car any more than you feel you want to do it. You paid to learn, and to have fun while doing it...not to ruin your car. So, have at it, and have fun!

Good luck!