Pre Migration Wasted Screen Space

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by mini_racer, Aug 10, 2009.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Can anything be done at the user level or at the site level about all of the wasted space. I want to increase the info to ink ratio.

- The Motoring Alliance title bar with pic is beautiful and all that, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I have seen it a million times, and do NOT need to see it again. So, can I turn it off or make it really skinny?

- The menu bar is critical, but can be thinner and still be as effective.

- The thread path bar with the user info can be trimmed.

- The dead space in between each bar can be trimmed.

- The Sponsor title bar also eats too many pixels, chop it in half.

- Gimme back my y-axis pixels! As some people might like the dead space or maybe not care cause they are viewing at 1600 X 1200, or maybe 1920 X 1080, it would be best to have the formatting selectable by user.

2. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Statistically speaking, most visitors to a web site are viewing at a low resolution like 1024x768. I think what has been done here it right on target. My suggestion is leave the development of this and other web sites to the professionals or make your own

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I did make a change on the main page removing the block for the featured article and adding a smaller block that shows random Garages.

The lates update to the CMS product this site uses, vBavanced, does allow for user definable main page blocks. I've not updated to this version as it really didn't fix a problem I thought we had. I'll look into updating. Keep in mind, this only affects the main page of www.motoringalliance.com and not any of the pages found at www.motoringalliance.com/forums.

I know you've seen it a million times and I appreciate the visits to the site. You'll miss the things I have in store for that space. I did a lot of checking other sites before setting on the dimensions chosen. The M/A header is pretty small in comparison to most of the other sites I visited. I will look into how I can remove some the border areas to gain a few pixels back.

I might be able to steal a pixel or two from there

I'll look for the setting to remove the last visited info, that might shave 2-3 pixels.

Thats beyond my pay grade. I don't know enough CSS to fix that.

Would require all other title bars to also be modified to keep the scale correct.

Just to amuse myself...this is a breakdown of screen resolutions by size of all that have visited the site in the past 30 days.

[​IMG]

4. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Nathan,
    Thanks for doing what you can, much appreciated. The resolution statistics were also fun. Obviously I am not the only one running relatively low y-axis resolution.:D

We will take however many pixels you can give us back. :Thumbsup:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Found 10px in the header and Nav Bar. It's not much but as I find more instances to pare a few pixels out it will add up.

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Every little bit helps, thanks.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Picked up some more space by removing the 10px bar that went across all posts that had a post image. Really did nothing but take up space. Doesn't make much of a change in one post but when you have 10 to a page it does free up 100px.