1st Gen R53 Cooper S Water/Meth injection System

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by narvarr, Jan 13, 2015.

1. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    As I prepare for the upcoming Texas heat in a few months, I have been researching possible meth injection system. This will be for cooling purposes only, not for a tune with meth. That being said, I noticed that the Aquamist HFS-3 and 4 system being recommended a lot, but it's not cheap and seems to be more beneficial for those tuned for meth. The HFS controller looks to be the biggest benefit of the system and what makes it one of the best. But if I'm just using the system for cooling, is a controller that advanced really necessary? I like the plug and play format as well, almost makes it idiot proof.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It is the best system and all the problems / troubleshooting has been done already. That's why it cost that much and it is plug and play easy.

The R&D is already done to save you days or weeks of setup and problem solving.

Oh did I mention mine (old HFS -8) has been in my car for 5+ years problem free running 100% meth. No 50 /50 mix for me.

You don't have to be tuned for meth for it to be affective.

Jeff Howerton has built these for years and they work and work well. I have even had Jeff call me once when I needed to bleed some air out of my system.

3. Sleek Motoring

Sleek Motoring Local Shop Owner

Dec 7, 2014
    Mini repair shop owner
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    Jeff @ Howerton Engineering! Just set my kit up with him today!

4. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    As far as it being Mini specific, does the kit have a wire harness for the ECU or do you have to splice into the factory wiring for the IDC signal?

5. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Aquamist is the best system, but if all you are looking for is to lower your intake air temperatures there are less expensive options. Any of these systems that gets the water to vaporize will lower your intake air temperature and keep the timing from pulling back. Water injection or alcohol water injection works because the intake air temperature is lowered by vaporizing the water and or alcohol. If you look up the latent heat of vaporization of water you will see it is much better than methanol. Methanol would raise the octane rating of gasoline. If you read the papers that were written on this for aircraft engines they found the best results with a water methanol mixture of 50-50. The papers I have read do not speculate on why methanol and water in a 50 50 mixture worked the best, but I would speculate that it is because methanol makes the droplets smaller and therefore quicker to vaporize.

6. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Let me let a video I made do the talking: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh670PwbAI8"]Water Meth HFS-3[/ame]

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice video of the Aquamist system doing it job flawlessly. :Thumbsup:

Glad you got rid of that other system and installed Jeffs?

8. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Got an RMW head on the way. Maitland Importers will be installing it and it will get the 440cc injectors.

I already have the Dominator Cam and the RMW header.

Last Dyno run was 205 at the wheels I think I can get more like 230 maybe 235 next.

Then that is it for the MINI for a while, next will be start getting parts for a LS3 powered Miata!

9. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Lol, I've seen that video. I actually have a link to it in another thread I started. To be honest, your video is what convinced me that a meth system is worth the investment.

10. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "cheap out" on the system, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not buying stuff I don't need or will never use for my intended application...you know, like putting z rated tires on a Smart car.
    Which brings me to my next question. What is the advantage of using IDC over MAP? Is it more beneficial for a tune set up with meth or is it just a more consistent way to run the system?

11. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
  12. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I found that article about an hour after my last post. I've gone to the website and looked at the difference between the systems, and right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the HFS-2 system. It's the exact same system as the HFS-3 but without the gauge and the fail-safe options.

13. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I also started with another system and it never worked correct, I mean right from the beginning.

What I can say about the AquaMist is that it works perfectly all the time everyday, it has been entirely maintenance free from the very beginning.

I personally weigh that very heavily into my decision NOW that I did have another system. If you are tuning for the W/M then this is invaluable, you do not want it to fail EVER.

Tuning for it is not required to see benefits from W/M

Side note I have moved to running 20% Water and 80% Meth (M1)

How did that credit card commercial go: MINI Cooper S $24,000, Tank of Premium Gas $40.oo, Howerton/AquaMist Water Methanol System $1100.oo, worry free consist power PRICELESS

14. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty much sold on the HFS-2 system at this point. I'll try to contact Jeff@Howerton and start planning things out and get an estimate on final cost. Hopefully I'll have the funds by March to make the purchase.

15. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Well, I ordered the jet adapter and blanking plug. I figured I'd go ahead and install it while I have the intake horn off for the DT bypass valve install and save myself some time later. [​IMG]

16. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Done deal. Now I just need to get the rest of the system ordered. [​IMG]

17. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I am reviving an old thread as I just bought the Aquamist system and the tanks from Jeff @Howerton Engineering are not available. Anyone have any ideas on a good tank to use. I have heard that the headlight washer tank can be used, but is problematic. Any suggestions on which tank to use. I would like it to be baffled. As usual, TIA for any help or advice you can shed... PS if you happen to have a Howerton Engineering tank sitting on your shelf that you are not using, let me know.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Wish I could help.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry Teddy, I have come up with nothing. Did you try contacting Colin? He did work for Howerton for a little while.

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    What size tank do you need? I don't know if it's big enough, you could get a second metal radiator tank. They have baffles in them, I just don't know if they are big enough.