1st Gen R53 Cooper S Water type to be used when mixing with antifreeze ?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by pfspeeddemon, Jun 9, 2012.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Distilled water wouldn't cause any electrolytic effect, it is a non-conductor of electricity. It is the dissolved solids in non distilled water that are the electrolyte and allow water to conduct electricity.

Dave

2. pfspeeddemon

pfspeeddemon New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks DneprDave...especially for the prompt reply to my last post :Thumbsup:

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Distilled = good.

De-ionized = bad. This is the stuff that will attack the metal parts in the engine and cooling system. They stock the two side by side in my grocery store, so I always double check.

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    And, to avoid any other issues with using the wrong coolant, I always use MINI branded coolant (plus the distilled water mentioned numerous times, above). I mix coolant and distilled water at 50/50, adding a duct-tape tag to the handle of the coolant jug when I dillute it so I don't forget and re-dilute it again 6 months later.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    DI water is an aggressive solvent by itself, however, when combined with an appropriate ratio of inhibitors, corrosiveness is neutralized. In the past I viewed DI water in a narrow context and made the same bad vs good judgment. When I mix OEM coolant concentrate and/or add to the fill later I use distilled water, but I also know pre-mixed products using DI are safe and have no reservations about using them.

Zerex G-05 is a MINI compatible phosphate free formulation with pre-mixed DI water.
    For track use Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives - SuperCool with WaterWetter® pre-mix with DI water is safe. Performing a coolant mix/WaterWetter swap before & after each hot season will keep the coolant system sediment free.

Water has better thermal transfer capabilities than ethylene glycol. Those of us living in warmer climates don't need a 50/50 ratio to prevent the water in the mix from freezing. A mix of 60% water to coolant is sufficient for year round use in most of the US, even a higher ratio of water for the southern states. Read the label on coolant concentrates for the temp range to mix ratio for your climate.

6. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    i'll just add this.....for "track" use, water wetter or equivalent in a water/ethylene glycol mix is fine. for "race" use, water or water plus "water wetter". no ethylene glycol based products are allowed. it is very slick when put down on a racing surface.

7. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe that people actually change their coolant just to drive on a track!

Dave

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    They are supposed to change the coolant to water only or water + Water Wetter, if allowed, for RACING, where the possibility of collsion is much greater than a DE event on the track, where passing is controlled. You only have to switch once (when a street car is converted to a full track-only car) as people who are racing usually don't use their daily drivers on the track as I do when I go to a DE event.

I think that the guys who run the Lemons race (racing $500 beaters) won't even allow Water Wetter in the cooling systems because of the high probability that someone is going to spill coolant on the track (given the inexperienced racers and ancient hoses on most of the cars). Unexpected water is bad enough on the track.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I do not mix it at all. I live north east it gets cold and very hot. I use the Mini blue Smurf blood at 100% .

6 years no problems.

Oh and yes I have had it flushed a few times.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Full strength coolant?

Now that is a bit overboard.........as Keith said, water is the best for thermal transfer even better with the Water Wetter or equivelant additive. But pure coolant is actually worse.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well I have had no problems with it.

Let's just agree to disagree. I have Meth doing some cooling also.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Never said you would have problems, just not ideal. And a waste of money.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Here is a chart put out by EET Corporation (makers of antifreeze and other products). It shows the effectiveness of Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol at different ratio's and the effectiveness at different temperatures.
    [​IMG]

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I was always told 70% was the correct mix. Looks like Dad was right. Good on ya Dad!

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That is for freeze protection. You always want to try and use as little coolant as possible for your local conditions. With my temp extemes (long cold winter and hot summer) I try to run around a 30-40% mixture. Still protects down low enough for my conditions and gives me enough warm weather performance.

16. pfspeeddemon

pfspeeddemon New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #36 pfspeeddemon, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    I'm luvin' all these replies ! It makes interesting reading. Keep 'em comin':popcorn:

BTW, just got the oem BMW Mini Blue Smurf stuff (2 bottles @1.5L each) that Dave.0 has referred too...now it's just a question of the water to add to make up a total 6L mix...arghhh! Why do some say distilled and deionized water are the same thing ( a chemistry guru at work told me so today) and others say they're different...just to wind me up and confuse me perhaps ?! :confused5:

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    They are the same thing. Both are just water with ions removed. Distilled water has been deionised by distillation as apposed to another technique such as ion exchange chromotography. The end product is the same and either can be used.

18. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    They both have minerals removed, that's the extent of their similarity after processing. Deionized water contains organic junk (non-ionic contaminants), distilled is purer. Once the proper balance of chemicals are introduced to the water, and it circulates in the coolant system, they become similar again; both are contaminated.

19. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Deionizing water does not remove uncharged organic molecules. It is not as pure as distilled water.

Dave

20. pfspeeddemon

pfspeeddemon New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all your posts, the picture becomes clearer and clearer for me ! If only you can imagine what quacky replies I got locally about how bad it is to use distilled water in the cooling system! Ok then, next hurdle: I just hope that I can find distilled water locally here in a 5L can which has a label on it which clearly identifies it as such...most I've seen at petrol stations are just plain unlabeled cans and one would be purchasing it on just the strength of the seller's word that it is indeed distilled water...would distilled water from car battery shops be ok ? I'll be having a look next week...I want to try and have my Mini's system flushed by end of next week...:wink: