2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Weird sucking/grind noise 2012 cooper S

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Franken_mini, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54868142?badge=0" width="500" height="889" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/54868142">Mini Cooper S strange noise</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user15068681">Nicholas Maas</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I have this weird sound it only happens after the car has been sitting for a bit(like 5+ hours) and it isn't everytime it does that. I had just done an intake and intercooler muffler delete pipe before I noticed it. For one after doing these the blow off sound was much louder and I noticed it was fluttering, no telling how long it had been doing that. It didn't flutter every time but mostly when I'd rev it high. I had a forge uprated diverter valve and have since taken it off and put the stock back on which is really sucking because it's definitely caused a performance loss, doesn't hold boost the same or at least feels this way as I don't have a boost gauge. If it's the turbo bearings would it be intermittent like that or would it be a consistent noise?

Thanks for any help!

2. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #2 Franken_mini, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/54868142"]http://vimeo.com/54868142[/ame]

Hopefully that works

3. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also you can notice it goes away towards the end of the video

4. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also oil level is fine.

5. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Checked my turbo turbine it's solid and spins freely, so I guess that eliminates the turbo???

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That rattle sounds timing chain related.

7. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't know that I hear a rattle? Not saying you don't hear one just I'm deaf, haha! The only thing that really sounds different to me since I bought it is that weird sound that I've noticed? Anybody else hear a rattle by chance? I'd guess it's possible because I'm not sure what else it could be. The rattle could be the turbo heat shield because ever since I put it back on it rattles once in a while ( I know its it because I can put a screwdriver on it and it stops immediately). Just haven't had the motivation to tear it all apart and figure out how I put it on to make it that way unless its the manifold being shaped different that is causing it. Is it possible to just get an aftermarket heatsheild and remove it entirely and maybe put a turbo wrap if the space around it would be too much after that?

I've checked:

Oil
    Coolant level
    Turbo Plumbing intake and pressure side
    Turbo turbine (feels solid wiggle wise and keeps spinning after you spin it)
    Direction of the filter in the intake I bought

I haven't checked:

Belt just doesn't seem like its on that side but will give it a peek tomorrow when the light returns

Pretty much everything else hahaha (because I have no other clue where to check besides internals and if it is I'd have to be headed into the Mini dealer because it's under warranty and I haven't been doggin it that hard but have meesed with the turbo technically and want to make sure I'm not the one who pooched it ya know what I mean?

Thanks so much for responding Nathan and anyone else who might step up to the plate. I appreciate it dudes!

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Me Too Nathan. I would have thought that by 2012, the 'timing chain death rattle' would have been conquered. Maybe not? :Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, you guys super sure before I make an appointment? Maybe I should make another video where I'm not moving around so much trying to catch the other sound, haha. That really sucks.

10. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I could't hear any grinding noise in the video - it sounds like a regular N14 or N18 engine to me. But those DI engines are so noisy it's hard to tell from that video if anything sounds off.

11. mendez

mendez New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Timing chain is a recall item from MINI. We had ours replaced last month at the dealership. MCS2011.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    To me it sounds like DI noise too. If you are under warranty let the dealer figure it out.

13. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    #13 iwashmycar, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    double

14. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
  15. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I made an appointment for next wed, hopefully its nothing that will go catastrophic before then as it's my only car. The muffler delete and all the plumbing of the turbo is tight, put some soapy water around the discharge pipes to see if air was blowing out and there isn't. The engine other than that sucking sound sounds like it always has since mile 9 on the odometer. In the video I literally just started the car with my phone on hoping to catch the noise. In my experience until the motor actually gets going its a little noisy, I mean you can hear in the video it starts to quiet down. I dunno, hopefully it doesn't crap out on me before next week. When I say performance btw im talking about the turbo lagging after shifting, it still pulls as hard as it ever has it just doesn't keep pulling through the gears like it did. There's a lag now with the oem diverter valve back on versus the Forge valve but as I said I heard the flutter and was worried it might be causing turbo surge so I took it off for now until I could get some insight or opinions.

16. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again guys

17. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    The sound is the same as mine after a good long sit. Sounds like the normal valve chatter. I don't hear any "sucking" sound per-say. The chatter that shows up after sitting a while then goes away seems very much like a dry valve train getting oiled as the engine runs up to temp.

If it turns out to be your timing chain tensioner I'll be surprised. I haven't heard of an N18 having issues.

18. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Au Contrere-See post #11, 2011MCS Timing Chain Death Rattle repaired.:Thumbsup:

Jason

19. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There's a definite whirring sound in there it's just getting drowned out because of the phone's mic compression, its in the back ground and definitely louder and more noticeable in person. That's the only thing I'm worried about, the chatter is normal or at least it's been that way since it got off the boat and I sat my butt in the drivers seat. Almost sounds like a big old roots supercharger.

20. Franken_mini

Franken_mini New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just letting everyone know the sound was the forge intake, took it off and never had the problem again. Why it was doing it I dunno?