1st Gen R50 Cooper Wet Interior, Water Leak

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Torq, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Torq

Torq New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Secret stuff ssshhhhh!
    Bedford, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Marvin just turned 100K and the problems have started. Just the other day I went out and cleaned the car up real good and the next day I come back and there's water in the footwell of the driver's side only. This was after I got back in and my running shoes were soaked and I figured that's where the water came from. So I wet/dry vac the water and turn on the heat on the way to work the next day to help evaporate the water and when I come back to leave work there's a puddle there again. The fluid is definitely water and odorless and also the coolant reservoir is at the min level and is usually at max. I'm thinking heatercore or related hoses. Any other ideas? Also the friggin airbag light is on now and won't go out. This happened the same time time as the water leak but I can't say that they are related for sure. Any different ideas and how hard would the heater core be to change?

2. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Hi Torq, is that a 1st gen or 2nd? There's a youtube video for the R56, it looks pretty simple.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eThAoabOcg]Mini Cooper R56 2007-up heater core diy - YouTube[/ame]

3. Torq

Torq New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Secret stuff ssshhhhh!
    Bedford, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a 1ST Gen.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hi there Torq.....:D

Create a garage with your MINI, it's easier for us to then know what generation you (and "others") have. Besides we like pictures of MINI's.....:Thumbsup:

I realize it's posted under the 1st gen thread, but some of us don't always notice this....

5. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    like me:biggrin5:

6. Torq

Torq New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Secret stuff ssshhhhh!
    Bedford, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well here's the update. Went to the dealer and got a new heater core. R&R looks pretty simple right? With the NAM discount the new core was $98 bucks. So far so good. Removed the old one and pressure tested. Not leaking. ??? Look at the seals for the lines. The seals are bad. Lesson learned, check the seals first before dropping dough on the core. Also stick to the same parts person. My regular guy would have suggested the seals as insurance against failure of repair and waste of time. Thanks one and all for your help.