Most liked posts in thread: What are people running for ignition coils?

1. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I'm still using my original coil... 225k+

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I notice your #3 connector is as rusted as mine. Anybody know why it's just the #3 that does this?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    OEM and only OEM as nothing more is needed. I know of several cars with 3, 4, 5, and one over 600 whp and they all use the OEM coil and wires.

Look at it this way, the OEM stuff lasted 161,000 miles and you will not get better than that from the aftermarket parts. (Coil and Wires)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    OEM in all but one of my cars. The OEM of that one is on the shelf and will go back in when I have time. In the meantime, there's a $39 Subaru coil in the car that happens to be more or less identical to the OEM. Bought it in the desert hundreds of miles away from a Mini dealer when the car wasn't running right back in 2014. Never had an issue since. Funny that this "Subaru" coil does corrode on the right rear contact just like the OEM coil does.

5. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0

doing this in my garage, it would be parts only. $500 US with a new Denso alternator, but I'd go for the rebuild kit a lot less expensive: The kit is $52.30
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDL75II/

A fully rebuilt Denso can be had for $270
    https://www.amazon.com/Mini-1st-Alternator-Rebuilt-DENSO/dp/B0159OX79M/

New Tensioners go between $55 and $80 at Amazon or Rock Auto - it has been my experience that they are all more or less identical

belt ~ 16 or so, and get the right one based on your pulley - for 15% this one (JCW is for 13%, but may be the same length, not sure. My 17% pulley needs a shorter belt than the 15%, so I'd triple check that belt before taking a JCW belt)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2SIXC/

couple hours of work. Belt and tensioner can take 2 hours if you haven't done it before. You also need the belt removal special tool.

I haven't done an alternator service with the rebuild kit, but swapping it out is pretty quick once in service mode. I'd do all sorts of other things like SC service and pull the radiator for better access, but a pro shop won't need much time to get that alternator out of there and replace. No radiator removal needed, I think.

Labor estimate is about right, but I think you could do a lot better with parts.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    OEM coils are best and designed / made for the MINI unlike the aftermarket Screaming Demon and MSD coils which were made for the Dodge Neons. The MINI’s “Siemens ECU” that was made specifically for the MINI is very sensitive to voltage. Using the cheap aftermarket coil like the ones above has been known to fry the OEM ECU or BCM of both. Not worth the risk.

OEM coils are worth the cost and are very reliable and used in custom built MINI’s making well over 350+ whp.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    #18 Scavenger, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    OEM or comparable replacement. I just changed mine, ordered from WMW, got a BERU, built to OEM specs, works fine.
    IMG_0997.jpg

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I have also heard not so good things about MSD coils. I'd get an oem one. I've had good luck with NGK wires, oem would be good too.

Most likely it is your wires, I'd replace those first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    OEM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Okay....OEM coil it is.

As it turns out, it is more likely that my alternator was getting ready to die than the original coil pack. Since it has died.

So.....since my car is now at the dealership, I asked for a quote before doing any work so here we go.

1) replace alternator. Aftermarket one by Denso (The Denso one is $400 CDN less than the MINI Alternator and they have had good experience with this one and is the only aftermarket alternators they would recommend)
    2) replace top passenger side engine mount
    3) replace belt tensioner (if needed)
    4) replace belt with JCW belt

Total estimate came out to under $2000 CDN (that's about $1200 USD) labor and taxes included. This includes a MINI Club/"you drive an old MINI " discount on parts and labor.

Is this a fair price?

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    So, my alternator has been replace. I also had a new belt tensioner and a new JCW belt installed. Two weeks on, I was just thinking this morning that the engine still runs super smooth and quiet. All the noise and strange sounds that I thought was because the engine was getting old and worn and the coil pack going, was all coming from the tensioner and alternator about to die.

Since the coil is still the original coil from the factory, I'll probably still replace it later in the year. But it seems to be running very reliably still. No misfires.

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    That’s a good question and I don’t believe I have ever seen an answer to it.

13. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I have seen others post the same thing, I'm not sure why.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
  15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Most shops in my area charge about $100 U.S. for labor. So say you have about $500 or $600 in parts it looks like they may be billing out 6 or 7 hours in labor.

16. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0

Thanks for this. That all sounds about right.

He quoted me $550 CDN (that much less than $500 USD) for the new Denso alternator. I didn't know they could be rebuilt. My car is 15 years old, so I didn't think it necessary to get the OEM MINI part at MINI pricing.
    This will be my 2nd replacement of the tensioner. But the service advisor said they will check to see if it really does need replacing. He said by experience, they are finding that they don't really need to be replaced as often as a lot of people are suggesting.
    I have a 15% pulley, so he said a JCW belt would fit. Interesting, he wanted to borrow my tensioner tool they don't have one at the dealership. He said the stock pulley doesn't need to tensioner tool to change the belt. But a reduced pulley, they need to use it. I did not know that. The service advisor seemed fairly knowledgeable on servicing modded MINIs.

17. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    My risk an overheating engine only to save a few bucks on such a basic part. Easy to replace, cheap. I plan to replace mine every 20k miles at the latest. 160k miles and only one replacement so far? Anyone telling me at that point that "nah, it'll be find another couple of years" really doesn't know these cars or wants you to come back for a much bigger repair job. I've had a belt slipping and smelled that burnt rubber on hard throttle with a tensioner the previous owner had swapped about 40k miles before I got the car. It wasn't totally broken, but it was on its way.

No tensioner tool at the dealership? I have no idea how they would change a stock belt without it. One of my cars came stock and there's no way we could have installed a new belt without the tool. I call BS on that comment. Maybe there's some special secret way to get a belt on the car without that tool, but I don't see how a larger diameter pulley would make that an easier task. I recommend looking for a shop that doesn't have to borrow the most basic R53 tool in the book.

A new Denso alternator is about $430 US, which I think is a rip off. These rarely break completely, just the things found in the rebuilt kit can go bad. Lots of alternator rebuild videos on youtube. If you have a hammer, a few sockets of various larger sizes (for pounding on bearings) some big screw drivers, maybe even a table vise (or a Harbor Freight tool store nearby), you can do the rebuild on the kitchen table.

Or save yourself the rebuild hassle, and get one that's been rebuilt by pros - not sure if you can get stuff from Rockauto in Canada, but they sell rebuilt OEM Denso alternators for the 2004 Mini S for $148.79 after core return refund. Just a lot of shipping charges to add to all that but man, less than $100 for a full rebuild job with 12 month warranty. I think I'd skip that kitchen table rebuilt and buy one there myself should I ever run into issues with mine.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=988410&cc=1430887&jsn=316

A brand new 120 amp (more output than OEM) Valeo is #230.79, in case you want to run some serious lights and big ass stereo.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0

Thanks for your insight.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    No tool? Odd!

20. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I brought mine in and it turns out they do have one.

My thoughts are if I didn't have one, they would quote me an hour to install the belt. If I did, they tell me they have one and charge me 20 minutes labor to install a belt. Just my conspiracy theory.