What did you do with your MINI today?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by KittyMini, Jun 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

This is very true about the “other roads”. As for getting up early, let’s just say I like to drink and stay up late with a bunch of others. One year I stayed out and came home at 5:30 AM as others were just going out for a morning drive. I was walking, not drinking and driving. That’s a huge no no in my book !

2. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I am in a big quandary....do I try to detail my car myself, or figure out a way to get it to Dave O to be done right. I'm good with waxes and stuff, but I want to try this ceramic stuff. As I understand it, once it's one...it's done and any imperfections are sealed forever. What to do?????

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You can remove ceramic coatings. You have to use a buffer with a rather aggressive compound like HD Cut and a soft polishing pad like a Rupes white pad and not a Rupes Yellow or or Green or a Lake County Orange cutting pad.

If I did your car I would need it for a few days one to completely wash and polish the car then a day or two to keep it inside while the coating cures under my lights. The car can not get wet for first 24 hours and not be washed for a week. That’s why I do not do coatings for people at the Dragon.

4. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    See, that's why I like to go to the experts. I can guarantee you that I would somehow screw up trying to put on a ceramic coating. I'll figure out something, Dave....

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Gassed up the 11 Countryman on Saturday, it was about 60 degrees out, guess I have nowhere to go today as we are at 4 inches of new snow and 28 degrees today.

The MINIs will be fine in the garage, not dirty but a bit dusty, my 16 Countryman is blocked by the snowblower anyway! :) :)

Have a great day. :eek:

Don

6. MCS0518

MCS0518 Active Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Ratings:
    +191 / 1 / -0
    Removed the washer bottle that goes to the headlight washer nozzles when i had the xenon assembly's. Changed the idler pulley. What a pain to release the tension without the right tool. I think the previous owner put the 17% pulley on with a belt for a 15% pulley. Is this an issue, and would it cause belt slippage under wide throttle? I'm thinking what I am hearing is it slipping when flooring it. Still getting about 14.5 psi boost though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I dont think the Runt has ever been this dirty, in and out. Today we plan a trip to the dog park and because the truck is full of junk the Runt will be the dog hauler. So it may get a little hairy..........:D

Monday partly cloudy and 61, it will get a bath.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I'll be headed up early this year too! Out by Thursday. In MINI news, she got 2 baths this weekend, a polish and tires rotated.

9. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I was planning to get my MINI washed today, but ran out of time. It is really dirty from the sand (dirt) TXDOT spread on the bridges and overpasses last week for ice. Heavy rains yesterday washed most of that stuff off the road. Time for a good wash.

CD

10. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Tapoco reservations confirmed! Will be up on Tuesday morning and leaving whenever on Thursday. Hoping to find some slick new slotted rotors and maybe an intercooler this year. Meth if any vendors offer it with an install :) Dave.0 You're in the big round cabin right? I'll bring you some Wisconsin brews.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup we are in the round house / cabin by the turn to go up the hill. If we are home we are outside with our cars parked across the street. We park right buy the ramp everyone uses to get on the field for the group photo.

We will have a cold beer waiting for you.

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I finally got a chance to get my MINI washed. I went self-serve on the drying, vacuuming and minor detailing.

I have one of those front license plate brackets that screws into the tow-hook hole. If I get lazy, and don't take it off, the plate gets bent. I got lazy, and the plate has now been bent and straightened enough times that it is close to breaking.

I used to just go without the front plate, but Texas made it a Misdemeanor offense in 2016, with a minimum $200 fine (it can go as high as $500). You get a criminal record for no front license plate in the deep, dark red-state of Texas.

CD

13. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I trimmed the top and the bottom of my license plate to fit in the lower grill area. It is held in by pressure. I have never been stopped, but that doesn't mean much where I live. DSC04873.JPG

14. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Goldsmithy, I'm 56-years-old and white, living in the Texas burbs, so I never get pulled over. I could more-than-likely get away with no front plate. And, the fine is not that big of a deal. But, making it a misdemeanor changes things. I could probably do a deferred adjudication deal in court, but that is a PITA, too.

CD

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Finally got around to swapping out the old ScangaugeII and setting up an old phone with OBD Fusion app.
    I like it... IMG_20180124_154851.jpg

16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I just saw all of the Dragon questions that I missed in the thread. I drive the Dragon on Thurs-Sat & maybe Sunday too, during MOTD, but I get up at dawn, throw on my clothes and immediately go out for a run. That way, I get the road to myself (well... a few locals and dedicated morning people like myself, but almost no bikers) and can set my own pace. It's also absolutely beautiful at that time of the day. I've also noticed that I get less motion sick (breakfast waits until AFTER the runs) and that I have a better time in the afternoons, hanging out, talking to folks back at Fontana and sipping a few beers at lunch.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    My Silk Green/White '03 Cooper [the Welsh MINI] has returned from the shop and is probably the "newest" one around, given all the work that has been done to it over the last 2.5 weeks! For sure, it will be going to the Dragon again this year! Can't wait! :Thumbsup:

18. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Dropped the ol' girl off at the stealership for her 1 time free clutch replacement.

19. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Quote: My Silk Green/White '03 Cooper [the Welsh MINI] has returned from the shop and is probably the "newest" one around, given all the work that has been done to it over the last 2.5 weeks! For sure, it will be going to the Dragon again this year! Can't wait! :Thumbsup:

Rufus, my 2005, will be in a close second by the time MOTD rolls around:

- Bonnet, boot lid, door panel repainted - Full clay, polishing and 3 coats of Zaino
    - coil overs, camber plates, end links, ball joints, rear swaybar
    - BBK
    - Joey mod (front and back), lots of vinyl work. Lots of new lenses.
    - new headliner and thorough interior cleaning.
    - Timing chain guide rails, crank pulley, idler pulley, belt, tensioner
    - Super charger oil service, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket,
    - plugs, plug wires, thermostat, thermostat housing, battery

20. MCS0518

MCS0518 Active Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Ratings:
    +191 / 1 / -0
    Changed out the belt, changed out the green jam gasket and washed my mini. Looked fine but think I want to go the 15% route. The prior owner put the 17% on. Feel like it's too much. After 4,000 rpm feel like it's leaking somewhere. Pulleys look good and spin good when I did the belt change. Maybe need to check the BPV next.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk