What did you do with your MINI today?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by KittyMini, Jun 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Those look like machine welds, nicely done. I hope you bought lug bolts and not lug nuts? :)

I like the adjustable control arms, but why didn't you replace the uppers too?

How does it ride now, stiffer? The same? Smoother? what were you going for?

2. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Yes lug “bolts” lol

I only bought parts that was definitely needed for the conversion and/or replace worn parts.

Also mine has the leveling sensors attached to the upper arms so didn’t want to bother with that.

I’m comparing to a Mini that had blown shocks so the new setup rides much smoother and especially the compression is much better.

It used to hit the bumpstops but I don’t have to cringe when I go over potholes or bumps I can’t avoid anymore.

As an initial impression I would say it’s probably a sportier stock setup. It’s not any softer but not much stiffer either. At their recommended max ride height which is about 1” lower than stock the ride has plenty of travel and it’s not bouncy at all. But I will be going lower once it settles and go with 17”s

Don’t have any increase in NVH as far as I can tell. If anything it got rid of some from worn bushings and bearings.

I’m running Bridgestone RFT (195/55/16) right now but will be ditching those for Goodyear Eagle AS as soon as my new wheels are back from the powder coating.

Overall I’m happy with the end result. Both their customer service and quality of the parts seem equivalent to other high end coils.

For $449 it fit my budget to replace worn stock parts and for a secondary daily driver car the performance is more than enough as I was just looking more towards for oe replacement not performance.

Lastly these suffer from what all the coilovers suffer from, the spring perch/collar rubbing on the tires. Luckily I had 3 & 5mm spacers laying around.

With the stock 16x6.5 ET48 wheel a 3mm spacer will just clear it enough but 5mm would have been better but didn’t want to run stock lug bolts with a 5mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yesterday I walked my the Mini in the garage and looked at it. It is very dirty but I am back on the road so I guess it will be that way till the weekend.

Unless someone here wants to run by my house and give it a bath

4. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Hey....MINIs are meant to be dirty. You wash them and then drive em and then they're dirty again. I wouldn't be too obsessed with washing them everyday. Been there already. It takes away from your motoring time.
    Where are you? I'll pop by and wash your car. Then take it for a spin and give er back. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I flew back from Philadelphia today, got my MINI out of car prison (airport parking), and get to take it back there tomorrow morning to fly to San Jose.

My rental car in New Jersey was a black Land Rover with black leather seats. Thanks Hertz. :rolleyes:

Nice to come home to my white roof -- if only for one night.

CD

6. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    1. Put Coverking seatcovers on Ron Swanson - I was looking at replacing the seats, but wanted to retain the airbags while my daughter is driving it.
    2. Ordered an Alpine head unit for it so she can have her bluetooth.
    3. Ordered a pile of parts for the TieFighter - Engine mount, tensioner, belt, and pulley, crank position o-ring, water pump, thermostat.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Took my 16 Countryman up to the Loveland (MOL) dealer for oil/filter and silencer (intake filter), all checked out for the rest of the summer. This MINI has a service package for oil changes until 2021 or 100K miles, I will not see either of those figures. I did look at the 2020 BMW X3 M Competion model today, very nice, 505HP, normal BMW M stuff in/on it. Did not like the $82,700 on the window sticker. Maybe my lottery car when/if/never going to win. :)

8. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    If I was gonna spend that much I think I'd go for a new C8 Stingray. Then I'd hire someone to ride with me to help me climb out of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I haven't driven it for weeks, except to move it around the yard. Yesterday, I wanted to go to the store and it wouldn't start, so I put on the battery charger overnight. The MINI is OK now, I drove it to town to check it out. 35 mph curves at 60, lots fun. On the way home, however, I got stuck behind some slowpokes, yawn!

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I was hoping that they would go with a smaller, lighter DOHC V8 to go with the new mid-engine layout. I was thinking a less than 5-litre V8 with the same HP. It is being released as a 2020 model, and 100 HP per litre is pretty easy to do nowadays. Oh well, baby steps, I guess.

CD

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    There are two reasons I think Chevy would stick with the small block for their engine.

The Chevy small block is already physically smaller (read compact) than most other 5-litre V-8s from other manufacturers already. The pushrod head design actually has a lower center of gravity than any overhead valve or valveless design. The engine is relatively inexpensive to produce and makes great torque and horsepower without a lot of engineering or electronic trickery.

I've driven almost every generation of Corvette at one time or another in my life. I had a 78 L82 and almost bought an 86. In every generation of Corvette I have had the pleasure of driving, they all felt pretty much the same. Being cocooned in the driver's seat and the V8 rumble seeming surrounding you. If they had changed to a more "refined" engine, it would break the continuity of Corvettes over the generations. Here's hoping they did their due diligence refining that sound and feel inside as well as balancing the handling...unlike a previous mid-engine car GM made.

12. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Also....getting back to MINIs. I waved at 2 MINI drivers going the other way on my way to the office this morning.
    Both totally ignored me. :(

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I give the two fingered wave when I'm driving my classic, most people either don't see me or don't know that it's a Mini, I think.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Said goodbye to my MINI today as we left in my wife’s SUV to go see the one and only Rolling Stones in South Philly tonight.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm sorry what did you say? I wasn't ignoring you I just wasn't paying attrition :D

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Mini? what's a MINI??

oh yea its that black and brown thing sitting in my garage.

17. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #17397 Qik, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Ordered one of those Dimple magnetic manual trans plugs to go along with my fluid change this coming weekend. Can't hurt!

18. MCS0518

MCS0518 Active Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Ratings:
    +191 / 1 / -0
    No more MINI? Why?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

My MINI does not go into the dump that is known as Philadelphia.

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I couldn't agree more. We stay on the square across from the court house. I was planing on going out after dark with my camera. After walking to the market for lunch I decided against it. I would have been unarmed. Shame really