What did you do with your MINI today?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by KittyMini, Jun 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I-45 Dallas to Houston. Driving to the Houston Grand Prix with a friend and fellow car photographer. It's about ten at night, no moon, only headlights. I've got a Dodge Magnum SRT press car for the week. Full media access to the race. Life is good.

BOOM!

18-wheeler truck tire carcass meets very low hanging Magnum SRT chin spoiler.

We come grinding to a stop on the shoulder, and gather up the loose parts behind us on the highway, and toss them in the back.

We drag the spoiler along the shoulder to a Truck Stop not far South. We buy some Duct Tape, and tape the spoiler back in place, as best we can.

Next morning, we discover the silver paint on the Dodge is the exact color of duct tape. So me and Al do a little Duct Tape bodywork. It doesn't look half bad.

It didn't comfort the Chrysler press car guy. But, I figured I should call him and tell him his Magnum would be in the body shop for a while. He told me it just got out of the body shop for the same repair. Seems that was not a good design element, IMO.

CD

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Was wondering, I hope the bank account is holding and next year events will be back and get you back out there. Really miss your exotic car images and your food pictures too. Thank care! Being in the the CV-19 hit group is not fun at all.

Don

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

What part do you need ? “ %$&@# chrome top on my shift knob broke off” Post a picture .

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    I am glad you are back! Sorry to hear the business, I know a lot of photographers are hurting right now. I hope it turns around for you very soon.

5. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
  6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Don. I'm keeping the lights on. The upstairs AC system took a dump on me, and my refrigerator was right there to rub it in. But, got both replaced, sort of. Still waiting on the fridge to arrive. I bought a cheap dorm fridge to keep my milk and veggies cold. Got a working freeze, so all that meat I socked way is good.

I'm still cooking. It's something to do.

CD

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'll try to snap a picture in the next day or two, but I'm sure every R56 owner knows the %$@#&* part. The top half of the shift knob has a purely cosmetic cap that is chrome with the six-speed shift pattern on it. The little plastic tabs that hold them on snap off. Some bean counter decided MINI could save 43-cents on every car with this part.

CD

8. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    How does your car get dusty in your garage? Your garage looked so clean the last time I saw pictures of it, I thought you had an air filtration system built in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    The ABS and ASC has been over-sensitive since I had the brakes done 3 weeks ago. I just touch the brake pedal and intermittently, the ABS kicks in. I've been driving around with the ABS turned off the last couple of weeks.

So I took the car back in. It is an old car now so I figured it was close to time to replace the wheel speed sensor for the ABS. The shop did a scan and said they were getting a code on the wheelspeed sensor. The shop only charged me for the part and covered the labor under warranty, since it happened due to the service. I'm not happy that I had to replace the part, but glad the shop covered the labor.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I open the garage door a couple times a day.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Glad you got it fixed. You can not turn off the ABS, it is always active. You can turn off the DSC stability nanny. She uses those wheel speed sensors to control things along with other sensors.

My MINI did not have DSC & it was great. The nanny in my German breadvan goes bat carp crazy when I pull the handbrake for a quick turn on a gravel road. I'm trying to get the back end loose to come around & nanny does everything in her power to not let that happen. Farkin nanny.

Back on topic..... Dave O's car got dusty. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I can't get into my garage. A really big tree fell on the corner of the detached garage from the neighbor's property and tweaked the building so that none of the doors open. I have a contractor coming out tomorrow to brace the garage and take the doors off of it so I can empty it out prior to rebuilding it . None of the cars or the motorcycle inside were damaged. My neighbors were there in minutes with chainsaws and a mini excavator to clear the tree from across the driveway so that the power company trucks could access the transformer that was jerked loose of the utility pole in my yard. and restore power. The tree also crushed my other neighbor's shop. I'll have plenty of firewood for next winter.

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Wow....that’s a tough way to get ahead on winter firewood supply.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Glad no one was hurt and it didn’t damage anything in the garage!

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Today my 21 year old daughter wanted a refresher on driving a manual. We took the Helmet on a ride. She did well.

16. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    It was gas the 2011 MINI and do a brushless wash for the dust and bits, then I brought the 11 home, did a hand wash with Adam's Waterless wash to finish the wash, then I figured oh hell why not, so I did a full Adam's detailing shine on top. Should be good for another month of covid sitting. Sure need to clean the inside, this is DOG car (Golden Retriever walks in the park), so a bit hairy but it is my wife's car too. :) :)

Guess I will get out the hair bricks and the vacuum since I am allergic to all that hair puffing around.

Take care folks, CV is on the rise again.

Don

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I took a nice ride on I-95 to Delaware to run an errand. The way down was nice 6 lanes wide and everyone was doing 95. The way home it was a little busy with Shore traffic but just as fun.

18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Well... not really with the MINI, but I was puttering around out in the garage this past weekend and found these...

[​IMG]

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I had a nice stack of all the original ones also.

20. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I drove my MINI to town to get my first haircut this year. I was pretty shaggy.