What did you do with your MINI today?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by KittyMini, Jun 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Hi folks! I feel like I should introduce myself in the new members thread. ;)

I haven't been blowing off the MINI forum. I'm just focused on too many other things, right now -- like trying to make a few bucks during Covid-19. 2020 was a rough year -- for a lot of people.

As for my MINI, It get's driven about 200-300 miles a month these days/months. No place to go that doesn't involve me spending money.

I had a O2 sensor go bad, as well as a diverter valve. Then a bi-xenon bulb died. My friends at RAC Performance fixed everything for cost of parts only. I still do ads for them from time-to-time, so we barter -- labor for labor.

The biggest problem I am having is rats! One of my stupid neighbors didn't like the feral cats running around the neighborhood, so she had Animal Control round them up to be euthanized. Cats gone, rats moved in. Lately, one has been building nests in my engine compartment. The first one almost set my car on fire. I cleared most of another huge nest out today. I couldn't get all of it. I had a pretty major surgery a few weeks ago, so I'm limited on what I can do for awhile. I did scratch my right hand and forearm to the point of bleeding.

I have rat traps all over the garage, and just haven't figured out this rat's path, yet.

So, basically, I have to look under the hood every time I want to drive my MINI. :mad:

CD

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Good to hear from you. I hope you recover quickly!

3. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Thanks. The surgeon had to cut through some abdominal muscle. Been there before with cancer surgery 13 years ago. I just have to avoid doing anything stupid, like lift things too heavy, or push cars around (normally part of my job). I can do day to day stuff just fine. I just have to remain aware of my limits.

My current mission is to kill the %$#*& rat/rats that keep building nests in my MINI.

CD

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Casey get well & by all means adopt a few garage cats. You want tough cats not fluffy lap cats.

[​IMG]

I've been very fortunate that Mickey Rat & friends have never moved in & munched wires.

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    We had no problem with rats while the feral cats lived in the neighborhood. I live a couple blocks from a 3,000+ acre working ranch -- in the middle of the major Dallas suburb of Frisco. The greenspace is great. Rats are part of the deal, though. We also have coyotes, bobcats, possum and lately raccoons. But they don't pose a problem.

CD

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You sure it's rats? I've had Mickey and Alvin build condos in my car....PITA no doubt!

8. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Finally going to get rolling on these. Going to do astroblack so when the vinyl comes off they'll be factory color. I have the mesh coming, and a LED project I did ages ago that will be pretty trick for these once done.

Vented Panels.jpg

9. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yes, it is rats. I see them in the yard on a regular basis when I let the dog out at night. They come from the open ranch land nearby. I am trying to find out if there is a way to actually bring feral cats into the neighborhood. For a good ten years, they kept the rats under control. I never saw rats while the cats were here.

CD

10. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Caseydog, go to the local humane and ask them to rehome some cats into your neighborhood, instead of being euthenized. Write a letter to public health in Dallas and complain about the rat problem. I hope that ranch has a few cats, if not they can be forced to clean up in the courts. Public Health hazard in RATS.

Or just get your own cats and a nice 20 guage and sit on your porch and snipe a few. How close your your immediate neighbor and do you like them? :)

Get well, don't lift or push, I do hope 21 treats you better and the car industry gets back to near normal, auctions etc.

Don

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I actually like the ranch. The whole city does. It is a giant green space in the middle of a rapidly growing suburb (Frisco, TX). We have an IKEA, a Hyatt Regency Hotel, 456 restaurants... and a 3,000 acre working ranch, with horses and a herd of Longhorn cattle.

If it came down to rats vs 3,000 acres of cookie-cutter homes and strip malls, I'l deal with the rats.

CD

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Drove the Helmet today! I went and picked up my younger son. He is working on his flight instructor rating so we went flying then to lunch. Fun day. He loves the Helmet as much as I do. He offered to trade his S2000. I know he thinks I am old now he must think I am stupid. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I used to work in Frisco (in one of the office buildings across 75 from the Frisco Mall (I watched the mall being built from my desk). That seems like a LOOOOOONG time ago!

I lived at the north end of the DNT (before it was extended... and extended again) back then. It was always interesting to see the Metroplex crawl north and overtake the farmland. When I first moved to Dallas in '97 I played golf on a little 9-hole course that was in the middle of nowhere. I'd stop by plywood farm produce shacks on my way home to buy fresh corn that had been picked that morning. I drove by there 5 years ago and the course was completely surrounded by subdivisions. Where the farm shack used to stand is now a Mall and several big-box stores. Sigh.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thats crazy - I had a rat problem, they were coming in in the lower corner where the garage door meets the molding. I ended up having to put metal plates there so they couldn't get through. It was a complete PIA. I hope you get that one figured out soon!

15. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Can't wait to see that when its done!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Oh yeah... I meant to mention that a friend of mine had mouse/rat/chipmunk/squirrel issues around his house. He tied several dryer sheets in out-of-the-way sections of his engine bay. It adds a very human / unnatural smell that supposedly helps keep the critters away.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 0 / -1
    I washed Checkers and took him for a ride. First time in about 3 or 4 months.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Starting the process of replacing the (4) TPMS transmitters (dead batteries) in my wheels. Having the tires removed from the rims so I can change out the modules. I'll be cleaning up the rims and getting them ready for the Spring tire sale.
    63285986623__3E6BCE65-F8B0-4665-85B6-5E1B7A860C74.JPG

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    While working on replacing the TPMS in my wheels I noticed I was getting some sun damage on the wheel center caps. The UV clear coat had started turning yellow and frosted looking. Same surface damage you get on the headlight from the sun.... Fitted them to the shop lathe and hit the surface with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and a little dish soap to remove the damaged UV coating. Then went over them with some Meguiar's plastic polish, followed by a coating of clear UV spray paint...

Looking much better now... IMG_0295.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    They came out looking great.