What did you do with your MINI today?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by KittyMini, Jun 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Last Friday I took my wife's 2019 Audi A6 to the dealership for service (the fuel door is locked by the central locking system and the actuator died and the emergency pull-cable wasn't working, so I couldn't put gas in the car). They normally have 100+ new cars on the lot. There were 8-10 in the "new" car section and I noticed that at least two of those were actually used (under 2 years and 30k miles, but still... not "new").

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    So I guess you didn't like my gas can option?
    My son was thinking about selling his FJ cruse. The Toyota deal offered him 10500. It os an 07 with 280k on it. They have called a couple times to see if he would sale it.

3. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yeah... a plastic gas can in the car isn't exactly the driving experience you hope for when you shell out for an A6, but I appreciate the option. :D

There was a year where I went to several large MINI events and wound up needing to give some fuel to other folks who had run out. Siphoning gas from a modern gas tank is a PITA. I often wondered about adding a Y to the fuel line for just this purpose. Tap into the line, run it to a valve so you can turn off the flow and then to a quick-connect fitting (all tucks under the rear seat). Then you carry a 10-15' fuel hose with the quick connect on one side. When you need some fuel, you connect the extension line, put the other end in the empty tank and open the valve... instant, pressurized fuel delivery with no anti-siphon devices and/or sucking on siphon hoses to start the draw. I've seen this on sail boats that have fuel polishing systems set-up, but they usually have a dedicated fuel pump set up to draw diesel from the tank, pass it through a water-separator / filter combo and then back into the tank (to clean out diesel bug). Sometimes they add an output to a hose, so they can share fuel easily with someone else via a can or draw off a sample of their fuel to see what's in there.

I got lazy and paid for the dealership oil change and tire rotation... I don't even think that my low-profile floor jack that I use on the MINI will lift the A6 without blowing a gasket. Hell... I don't even know where the filter is on that car and it's got an electronic 'dipstick'. I also got a software update, which I'm hoping fixes some of the nitpicks that I have with the computer nannies in the car. Unfortunately, they had to order a new fuel door actuator (power lock), so I'll have to go back in a week or so.

4. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    I'm thinking about cleaning my wheels, but it's a pain. The only way is to pull them off the car so I can clean the back side other wise they look bad to me. I normally pull them every other time I wash the car. I'm getting to old for this, but I hate it when they look dirty with brake dust.

5. checkers

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    I just ordered a cordless impacted wrench for the wheels that should make it easier.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I bought a set of these a few years back and love 'em! If you use them regularly, you can clean the inside of the wheel barrels pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3KDUD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The airbag light came on on my MINI, so I brought it to the dealer to clear the code. It turned out to be a bad wire in the driver's seat airbag (In the seat itself). They said that they have to change out the airbag for about $900.00.
    They cleared the code, but if you lean the seatback down the airbag light comes back on. They had no drivers seat airbags in stock and have to order it. I figure that for $900.00 I don't have to lean the seat back. Has anyone here changed out an airbag? What tool is needed to reset an airbag light?

8. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    A quick pano from the last club run.

20210919_130807-2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered some parts. SIGH... if you don't know, some first-gens suffer from a problem where the first stage radiator cooling fan fails. Mine had failed and I drove for a long time with it that way, then finally, over the last winter, I tore the front end off my MINI to repair a bunch of stuff, including the failed fan. It worked for a few months, but seems to have failed again. So, I just ordered some parts necessary for the fix. I'm going to hopefully make a more robust repair this time! Has anyone else with a first gen been through this?

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    My Schwaben code reader will reset airbag lights. It will also read all the Mini codes and does a lot more. I used it to bleed the ABS unite also. It’s well worth the money. I think you can get it on Amazon.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    On my Gen1 I replaced the whole fan assembly but back then you couldn’t get the relay. You can get the relay from Detroit Tuned
    https://www.detroittuned.com/dorman-fan-relay-kit/

12. checkers

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    Finely got around to cleaning my wheels today. Boy what a job. It's been 2 hours since I started and all I have done so far is 2 wheels washed next comes the suspension and brakes then I'll do the other side. Oh well I'm retired and have a bad back.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The past couple of days I have driven the Helmet to work. Its nice to drive it even if it is to work and back. This weekend My wife and I went to an arts and craft fair. We took her convertible, its easer to park then my truck. She let me drive it! That is the first time I drove the car sense a few years ago when I drove it home to surprise her with it. It's an Auto but when you let off the gas it down shifts as you come to a stop. It's a fun car.
    The only other Mini stuff I have done is this composite. I was just messing around with Photoshop on my iPad trying to learn the iPad version.
    The Dark side of memphis.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Lee it looks like your lights are aimed too high. From what I understand it can cause the light to be broken into all its primary colors. ;)

15. checkers

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    #19335 checkers, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Well today I took Checkers in for the annual check up on the ceramic coating I had installed. The (life time) warranty requires it. When they looked at the car they said they would wash it and see the condition of the paint was. I told me it was in great shape and didn't need to be reapplied. The wash cost me a lot but they did an unbelievable job. They washed the outside , wheels and vacuumed the inside better than I do.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Today I washed the Helmet and put the two car covers back on it. It is going to rain tomorrow

17. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    sorry...haven't been online for awhile. Been on a roadtrip motoring the entire length and width of Vancouver Island. There is a lack of cellphone service in a lot of the roads we went on. Will post pictures after I get home next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    BABF1E3B-5B75-45FE-A2A4-9FA6B2ABE845.png