What do the MoM folks think of the JB+ ?

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Z06_Pilot, Mar 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks,

I was wanting a little more oomph and was considering plugging in the JB+. Anyone here have experience with it or comments regarding it?

Now, I fully understand that the proper way to do this is to get a "real" tune done, but I want something that I can pull out instantly to get the car completely stock.

These cars are freakin' expensive and I want everything under the hood bone stock when taking it in for service until the warranty runs out to avoid finger pointing or a hassle when getting warranty work done, and the JB+ seems like a good option.

thanks!

Jeff

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I never liked the idea of installing parts like this that try to work by fooling the car's ecu by fiddling with the sensor readings. Seems like an easy way to f'up the car.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    If it is a plug and play like the old UniChip, and if you don't mind your MINI's onboard computer eventually overriding it and going back to "normal" without your unplugging it manually, then go for it. I had UniChips in my R50 and R53, took them out, got ecu tunes and sold the plug-ins. Ahhh, life is so much faster now in the R53 and quicker in the R50!

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    This is true: a piggy back tuner is an in-elegant solution. Eight years ago, I would have scoffed at anybody that installed one. Two things have changed: 1. Military-grade encryption has locked out all but the most determined tuners of current generation of cars, making the ROI of cracking a DME not worth the effort. 2) Over in the BMW tuning world, there was a deathmatch between Burger Tuning and Vishnu, where each company worked tirelessly to improve their own piggyback, improving design, software, reliability and performance. The end result was a newer generation of high quality piggybacks that don't f-up cars any more than flash tunes do.

The responsibility of the owner of a piggy-back-tuned car remains the same: they must keep the car in good shape, with all maintenances current, and don't allow error codes (like knock sensor activity) to linger.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a clear understanding of the impact of this product, but I do notice that over on NAM there is always one for sale.

I find that odd since it is a newer solution. Why would folks buy and try and the sell shortly after?

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I have one in my Countryman All4 S and you can notice some difference. One to check if you buy used, before you install it make sure that it is set at 50 on the pot inside, that is the way it comes.

7. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but the problem is, I would actually have to VISIT that site to see the want ads :biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5:

8. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jim, I also read on the manufacturer's site that for JCW motors, 40-45 should be the max used...

9. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    This might come off wrong, but why do you need more power? It is a MINI not a Mustang. If you are chasing power you have the wrong car. I know acceleration can be fun, but you get numb to it and then you are going to want to add more power until you get to the point where the car will just explode. Fast is never going to be fast enough.

10. isamin

isamin New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've had one in my 2013 JCW since they first came out. Scangauge HP shows 240 without pushing to the rev limiter. Yes,there are other mods but I'm not telling. Pricey piece but at a 7 second installation it's almost worth it. Get this and a Sprintbooster, turn on the sport button,disable the DSW and have some fun.

ISAMIN

11. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    #11 Z06_Pilot, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    um, a Mustang? Dude, you are talking to a died-in-the-wool Corvette Z06 owner with 555 at the crank, does a decent 1/4 mile and can carve up the turns at Watkins Glen and VIR with the best of the passenger cars on track weekends.........I think I have plenty of power in my other garage......sorry, talk of Mustangs in relation to power just gets me goin' :biggrin5::biggrin5:

coming out of corners in my R56, I would like just a touch more pull than is available with the stock set up, that's all. The front end can definitely handle a little more juice before surrendering to the inevitable understeer (oh wait, it's a front driver...I think it's actually known as "plowing" ! )

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    WHAT! you always want more power. It's one of those things you can't have too much of, like money, my wife says chocolate.:arf:

Are you a Miata owner or something? Oh right. (totally sarcastic tone of voice here):aureola::D

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Fixed this for you Allen.

My thoughts on power > "If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you...." :smilewinkgrin:

14. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I picked Mustang because it seems like a more credible alternative to a MINI than a Corvette. Price wise they are closer to each other. Also if it was just a HP thing I think the GT-R guys have the craziest HP number right now, they also rank at the top of transmission epic explosions list.