2nd Gen R56 Cooper What else does the radio run?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Herleman, Oct 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Herleman

Herleman New Member

May 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My 2009 Justa has a dead radio. I've checked all the fuse including that confounded 10 amp fuse on the back of the unit itself (took two hours to get at it). All fuses are OK. The radio is dead.

Refurb radios are available from all the usual Mini parts sources -- $350 more or less at all of them. Actually, its $850 but there is a $500 core refund for returning the dead one.

I can put a non-OEM radio in, just to get music, but the radio has other functions like the onboard computer and the setting functions for the diagnostics (reset average mpg, mph, etc), not to mention Bluetooth and iPod connectivity. So I feel kinda stuck with the OEM unit.

Another option, of course, is to do nothing. My wallet likes that option the best.

That begs the question, is the radio doing anything other than being a radio and being the portal to the OBC? I know the door chimes don't work, but what else is going to be impacted by my running around with a dead OEM radio installed?

Any ideas?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I wish I could help but I don't know. I'll give you a bump. Some one will be along to help.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry I can't help you with a second gen Mini, but if your dealer is nearby maybe they can scan your car and see if you have an odd fault that's causing it not to work.

4. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what all it runs but mine is sitting in my shed and I have a 7 inch touch screen in place. Everything runs fine and my obd is still intact. Only thing I noticed I lost was the seatbelt chime.

Now my wife feels she can get away with not always wearing the seatbelt lol