What Exhaust to use?

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mini Coopers' started by MiniHockey, Oct 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a friend that uses the OBX exhaust that he got off EBAY for 250.00
    Does anyone else use this exhaust?
    If not what is everyone using?

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Go up to "search" and look for "exhaust". I like to search by "posts". This is a topic that has been discussed many times and there are many views about it. When the first MINI rolled off the line in 2002, I believe someone was already looking for an exhaust for it. :cornut:

Jim

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #3 Nitrominis, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    What Jim said :)

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Check out the Stratmosphere or Milltek exhaust. They are the most popular for the R53 they fit great, no drone, and make good power.

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Are you looking for a Cat-Back exhaust, Header, or both?

For cat-back I have used the Borla Sport, JCW, JCW without resonator, and Milltek.
    I have not installed a header on either of my Minis.
    The only other aftermarket cat-back that I have seen on any of Minis in the club is a Magnaflow which I thought was a little too loud (louder than the Borla Sport).

The Stratmoshere that Way mentioned is similar to the Milltek and I believe a little less expensive. You can drive my 06 to see what it sounds like.

I liked the Borla Sport on my 03 MCS. It had a great sound, a little on the loud side which I enjoyed. However, it did drone a little on the highway at certain RPMs and engine loads. Sometimes I would have to downshift to get the RPMs up a little to get rid of the drone when climbing a hill and the engine loaded down a little. The normal criusing on a flat highway was not bad.

On my 06 MCS GP, I thought the JCW was too quiet, even without a rear seat or rear insulation. I thought the Borla Sport was a little too loud in the GP (no seat or insulation). I removed the resonator on the JCW exhaust and the volume was OK but too much snap, crackle, pop with the deacceleration programmed pop of the 06. I finally went with the Milltek which is louder than the JCW but queiter than the Borla Sport. The Milltek is a little quieter than I would like but it does not drone on the highway which is nice.

If you intend to ever install a header you will want to stay on the quieter side of the cat-back exhausts, such as the Stratmoshere, Miltek, or Borla Street.

6. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    What are your goals?
    For example are you going for max perf or max sound, etc.
    If funds are limited, a good header will provide more perf and a little more sound. While a catback will provide more sound and a little more perf. Of course if you do both (i.e. header and catback) then you get more of both perf and sound.

I started with the Madness 2.5" catback (very similar design as the JCW catback) with the stock header. I liked it, it was deeper and had more pop 'n burble, with somewhat high db.

Next step was adding the RMW street header. Sounded great on the track as heard from another car, but too loud for me inside the car, especially with the windows down. This combo actually scared/startled people.

Now I am back to my OEM JCW 2.25" catback with the RMW street header. Not quite as loud/mean sounding on the track, but I still get compliments. No drone or bad sounds. On the track with the windows down it is still too loud for me but earplugs are cheap. For street driving it is fine, especially with the windows up. If too loud at any point, just upshift and all is quiet.

Figure out what you are trying to achieve, and then go listen to as many different combos as you can find. This is one of those very personal mods that has got to sound right to you.

7. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Goals for me would be the loadest full race exhaust I could find! lol
    But since I only get to drive the car on weekends if the Wife will let me I have to use her Goals.
    She would like it a little loader then stock with NO drone on the hiway. Preformance is not at big deal to her. But I will be adding a pulley soon also.

I am thinking that maybe the JCW exhaust might be the way to go.

QuikMni Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that. Do you still have the JCW exhaust?

8. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I sold the JCW exhaust but a few people in the club have JCW so you should be able to hear the JCW at our next event.

9. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think I am going to try the One-ball exhaust Mod.

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    You can frequently find a stock exhaust for free if you want to try it and still have the stock to switch back to.

11. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have been running a One-ball for about 3 years on my 05MCS and I am really happy with it. I keep going back and forth with upgrading it with an Alta (they are on sale right now- tempting). I like the sound of the one ball, but it does give a little more "popping". It's probably one of the cheepest and best mods you can do on an R53 IMO. In fact, I just talked myself into keeping the One-ball and by myself that 42" Vizio thats on sale instead of the Alta....

12. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    42 is perfect size. that is what I have in the sports room.
    Does anyone have a good sound clip of the One-Ball?
    I would like to hear a drive by and in-car

13. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
  14. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Quick update. I will be doing the One-Ball mod tomorrow. Will let everyone know how it goes.

15. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wise man!

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Even if it doesn't totally float your boat, the cost isn't high enough to cause any real remorse for doing so.

17. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MiniHockey- how did it go with the one ball?

18. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MiniHockey- I got rear ended last week. Part of the damage was to my muffler and tail pipes. But, my one-ball stainless pipe is still good. If you havent done your mod yet, I'll give it to you. It's in great shape and I have no use for it. PM me, and let me know. You pay shipping from Delaware. I am going with a Stratmosphere cat back.

19. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I am happy as punch with the OBXr Header.. then I went to the Magnaflow mufflers ( got part numbers from Magnaflow and bought just the mufflers), had a local shop do the install with 2.5 Dia pipe. I have run two different brands since stock... the OBXr are by far the best out there for my applications.. Big tubes.. power producing OVAL Flange, 2-4-1 design with a great collector. IMHO You can not beat the performance!!

Just me.................................

Thumper

( Mods.. TPR2R / 15%/ OBXr / Water-meth / Magnaflows /Custom High lift Camshaft / Nitrous -Wet Shot )