Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: What next? Help me plan my next mods!

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nice start and possibly arrival point

What do you want to do with the car? Track? AutoX? Drive back and forth to work and the occasional rip through the countryside?

2. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That depends on a lot of things, but I'd concentrate on improved handling assuming your MINI is a daily driver. If you still have the cast iron RFs, dump them for high performance "Z" rated non-run flats. A good front STB is an idea, too. If you plan to not lower your MINI, Koni FSD struts/shocks should be the next item. These ain't cheap, but the improvement over OEM is startling. Have I spent enuf of your $$ yet? LOL!

MOD ON! :Thumbsup:

3. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    AutoX? Yes, sooner or later. Daily Driver? Yes. Rip thru the countryside? On a daily basis. I'm almost certain I want to go more towards better handling since I can't justify doing a lot of performance mods on a Justa.

4. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am definitely dumping the RFs but I wanted to get every last inch of tread out of them before spending more on new tires. After much research and a rave review from Frantic Freddy I have settled on the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Going with a 17" to help fill out the wheel well a little more and give it a beefier look. I'm still undecided on lowering. . .thought about it but not sure if I would like the way the car would handle. I do drive a lot of roughly paved country roads so I don't want too rough a ride. I will look into the Koni struts/shocks for sure. . they may just be in the budget depending on how much I spend on wheels and tires.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hankook V12 is a good tire, lots of positive reviews from MINI people (I think Scottinbend runs those).

Camber plates make a huge difference in handling. The car doesn't get upset as easily over bumps in the road mid-corner, which I'm sure you have plenty of in TN. If you pay a mechanic to work on your car, combine the plates with some springs and you'll save $$$ on labor. Any spring or shock upgrade will make the car ride a little rougher; it's up to you to decide if you'd like to trade a bit of comfort for some better handling. Fixed plates aren't as harsh as adjustable plates, too, so think about that.

JBewley has a similar car (R56 justa) and drives similar Appalachian roads - PM him for some thoughts. He just upgraded his suspension, I believe.

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Agreed with my colleagues on camber plates, The Hankooks (Yokohama Advan AD08's and Dunlop Starspec Direzza's another option) and Koni's (KSW is another option here, toss up)

I'd also consider Way's TSW X Brace. Adds aheckuva lot of front end stability for about $300 - $400 and you can install yourself. As opposed to a front swaybar which is pretty pricey to install assuming your like me and not a master mechanic. Downside is that I think it kicks you into a diff class that you probably don't want to compete in for AutoX. Easy enough to take off though. 4 bolts and thats it.

7. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! Great ideas for me to research and investigate!

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep I have the Hankooks on right now and so far I am very impressed with the performance. They are a 280 wear rating so they will not be as grippy as the Yokohama Advan AD08's and Dunlop Starspec Direzza's but for the money they are (so far) a great value.

I agree with the others, do some springs/dampers/camber plates as these will greatly augment the handling of the car.

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    On my second set of ADO8s... ;)

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    and they stick like glue damn these are nice tires!!, a little noisy on the highway but for the performance?.....I can turn up the stereo!:biggrin5:

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Our run with an ear bleedingly loud exhaust. However...below about 60 degrees they are rocks. Toss some rain in with the "cold" and you're slip slidin away.

12. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Which tires are you talking about, Nathan?