What product for roof edge

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Scot, Jan 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Scot

Scot New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    server admin
    Fairfield,CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone found a good product for doing that rough rubber edge to the roof? I do have some Prima Nero ordered and am hoping that will work but thought I would see what others are using.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Nero is an interior product, so it likely won't last long. Aerospace 303 may work, or Black Wow.

I have just been putting Hydro on that trim on our Clubman's roof trim. I don't think anything will get that rough texture to get any kind of shine:incazzato:.

Mark

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Black Wow works rather well for that bit of trim. And...for those of us that have painted over all the other trim one of the little sample bottles lasts a hella long time...

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, that trim is different on the 2nd gens. It has a rough texture, not the smooth texture of the 1st gens. Maybe OG will pipe in on what he uses. I will give some Black Wow a try later today, the weather is nice here today. I'll report back how it works.

Mark

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well ya learn something everyday:Thumbsup: Black Wow worked fine on the textured roof trim.

Here you can see some wax residue left from the late fall full detail.
    [​IMG]

After I cleaned the area with some QD, I worked some BW on a small area on the right.
    [​IMG]

Couple more, showing the difference BW makes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use a foam pad like this with BW.
    [​IMG]

Mark

6. Scot

Scot New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    server admin
    Fairfield,CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that made it look nice. I will definetly be giving the black wow a try. Thanks for giving us the great pictures that definetly drives the point home :)

7. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'll ditto the use of BW on that trim. What I've been using for a couple years now.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have been using the 303 stuff with comparable results also.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I kind of figured it would work well also.

Mark

10. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    BW probably will last twice as long as 303. Mother's Back to Black lasts almost as long as BW in my unscientific testing, but has a glossier look to it that some people don't like (plus it isn't the product of a Mini owner's blood, sweat and tears). BW is recommended for any textured plastic trim. It's not for tires, and not great on smooth trim like the rubber around the belt line.

Has anyone had their roof drip rails sanded down and painted, by the way? Mine are in rough shape, the only thing on my car that's really showing the effects of sitting outside for 5 years. BW makes them black, but it can't help where they're just baked from the sun at this point.

11. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I've always used BW on the roof rubber and the preferred applicator is a finger. This is also where OG's applicator card comes in handy since there is no margin for error.

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you on this issue, almost 7 years now outside. My MINI not me:Thumbsup:

Mark

13. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

May 4, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I use the skinny MF pad OctaneGuy sells to apply the BW. It puts it where you want it and doesn't waste much product.

14. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I couldn't have said it better myself! BW restores the color and evenness of surfaces, but if the surface is severely splotched and mottled due to weathering, it's not going to help that. I've got that on my 2005 as well.

I had a customer stop by the shop the other day who was picking up a gallon of Hydro and he mentioned to me that he was having trouble with BW on his R56 arches. I gave him a demo and 5 minutes later, he realized what he had been doing wrong all this time. I know the arches aren't the same as the drip rails, but a little technique goes a long way.

Richard

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hey Richard, the wedding is over, the restaurant is running, and you've moved into the new house, SO WHERE IS THE PRE-BW[​IMG]

Mark

16. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use the low-pile side of a 2-sided MF buffing cloth to remove BW from glass and paint. The high-pile side seems to smear it around, but the low side works well. I put BW on after washing (the car!), so adding more scratches to my finish isn't too likely. Applying BW before washing makes it all moot.

Were there any more diluted formulas in the days of BW development? I wonder if that would make it easier to apply, and also easier to remove from paint and glass. Or would the trade-off be any trim detailer that lasts only 2 weeks at the most?

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Some of us have been wondering if it could be diluted enough so it could be sprayed, so doing things like honeycomb grills and such would be easier.

Mark

18. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I actually had a spray version of BW and it really just came down to the fact that once you thin it out, the durability is compromised. I agree that the honeycomb areas are a PIA with BW. I usually just use a spray trim detailer like Meguiar's for that on my own car. Normally my process is apply BW on the face of the grills, then finish off with a spray product for the in betweens.

Glass Cleaner like Prima Clarity removes any residue very easily. If you're using a dry MF towel, you just have to keep turning it...the moment you rub it with an area that already picked up the BW, you just put it right back down again, lol.

Hahah Mark. I can't hide from my FaceBook friends, lol....wait...I'm still moving into the house!! And it's raining cats and dogs here in California now..and my MINI almost got trapped in a flood...so I have lots of excuses still!!!

19. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Adam's used to make an aerosol trim sauce, but it apparently used volatile chemicals and is no longer on the market. I've still got a can, and it is just the ticket for grilles. They actually marketed it for interiors, too, but anyone who used that stuff in a small space is probably out on the street mumbling to themselves at this point, considering it smells like UNI air-filter cleaner.

Meguiar's and Stoner make similar products. Even if they only last a week, it's gotta be better than applying BW into hundreds of tiny spaces with a Q-Tip, right?

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0