Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #12 Minidave, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Yes, and did you read in my post where I asked if you'd pulled your intake manifold and LOOKED at your valves? Cause that's the only way to know for sure that they're not carboned up, short of a check engine light coming on.

I'm not buying that any of the snake oil or add-ons will do the trick, till I see empirical proof.

Pics or it's not true.

The only thing that I think will keep them clean is something like meth or water being injected into the manifold while driving under load, where the heat of combustion will burn them clean, and I'm not completely convinced that will do it either.

I do know that my valves at 50K have quite a bit of carbon on them, and since my car gets tracked at least 3-5 times a year, (and does not use any measurable amount of oil between 7,500-10K miles yearly changes) it's less about how you drive it and more about something intrinsic in the design. There's a reason Toyota has gone to the expense of the dual injectors (one in the port and one direct) and Chevy's spent a lot of time and money developing their scrubbers (yet to be proven), so there's something going on with these DI motors.

But I definitely don't think fogging the neighborhood with seafoam smoke on a regular basis is doing anything positive for the cleanliness of your valves.

One more point, re: this thread......

Once again we get a one post poster, who writes about the horrible experience he had with his MINI, and never replies again to his own thread - or any other for that matter. I really believe these posts are not real, that they're made up either by a competitor to throw a negative light on a product or something.

Any thoughts on that? I see this happen occasionally on not only this but a couple other MINI forums. Sometimes it's lawyers trolling for class action business, sometimes it's just bitchery.....but I think something's behind it other than a real live owner with a problem with his car.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I love your 2nd Gen DI carbon problem threads. (Fun educational reading)

FYI if you add a METH kit and have it spraying into the intake manifold it will clean the valves all the time and all your carbon problems will be gone forever.
    Also you will have a cooler charge for higher combustion and higher octane for better performance and you don't need to have your car tuned.

Just think about it.....:idea:

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A from a local yokal..... :D

Good luck with your MINI. :Thumbsup:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think the OP is trying to decide if the MINI should be kept after the warranty expires. Then again, I may be wrong.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I don't know how to help him with that......

it's kinda like trying to answer the "what Classic Mini should I buy?" question.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You've got lots of reading to do, and you've found the right place to do it! I'm sure the technical guys will post up the links that you'll need to read soon. Keep asking questions :)

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I insist.....

Swampfoam really does work on the DI MINI intake valves..... No really... I buy cases and cases of it....

[​IMG]

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #16 Jason Montague, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    :cornut: Glad to here it. I thought that you'd never post a photo of yourself on MA. Guess I was wrong. It's a shame about the OS Strabismus/Amblyopia, why didn't your parents have it fixed when you were young? :Thumbsup:

:cornut: That's for those other R56 owners. You know non OCC etc...........76kmi and Margi has never had a 2nd Gen DI carbon problem. MINI on.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, what help are you asking for exactly?

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #3 Jason Montague, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    :cornut: My Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) has 76kmi and has never had these kinds of problems. She has had all of the other endemic(to 07-09 R56) problems ie: timing chain, turbo oil line, and the others but not this one. I feel that Margi has avoided these problems because at ~ 25kmi I installed the BSH Oil Catch Can(OCC) and the BSH dual boost tap forcing all of the crank case blow by through the OCC prior to entering the turbo air intake there by keeping all of that 'Dinosaur Snot' from coating the intake valves and causing the carbon problems that you are having. We have others around here that 'Pooh Pooh' this method as hog wash but Margi continues with clean intake valves as witnessed by having no 'carbon problems.' These people are also illiterate yokels with Alzheimers:yikes::lol:. No injector problems either as every 3kmi I run Seafoam or Techron(there are others) through the gas tank (cleans the injectors, Always use 93 octane gas by the way) and through the intake(cleans the intake valves[watch out as this statement always brings out the Yokels]). Any way, doing the above my Margi has avoided these problems. Now, if your MINI is already carboned up the you'll need the walnut shell treatment again to get back to normal. Then get a good OCC(I use BSH) AND the BSH dual boost tap to catch all of the blow by and MINI on from there. Good luck and you don't have to get rid of her but do start with clean intake valves as the OCC and Seafoam/Techron cannot get rid of huge chunks of carbon.:Thumbsup:

Jason

WELCOME to MA!

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Jason, you can believe what you want, but all of the injector cleaner and seafoam in the world can't clean your intake valves thru the fuel injectors in a direct injection engine, since the cleaner never sees your valves. As for Seafoam cleaning the baked on carbon off your intake valves....yeah, right. Call me a yokel too.

And how do you know your valves don't have carbon unless you remove the intake manifold and look?

My 50K '09 Clubman S runs as well as the day I got it (as far as I know) but when I pulled the manifold not long ago for a look-see, the valves were coked up considerably. But since it hasn't thrown a code it's not considered a warrantable repair, so I'm going to DIM (Do It Myself :wink: ) and walnut blast 'em.

I still don't know what the OP wants help with.......

12. Alex Robison

Alex Robison New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good morning guys! Interesting reading. I have 2008 sport...kewl car. Runs well...I bought it from a friend...under warranty they replaced timing chain...seems to guide broke. Recently spoke to a lady her Mini started making strange engine noises....out of oil and had to have timing replaced under extended warranty...they told her to check the oil every two weeks. Mine has only 45,000 and have heard strange noise only once....checked oil and 0 on the dip stick...uses about 1 quart every 1500 miles...kinda strange to me...no visible smoke no oil on the floor....valves "cleaned" once under warranty once buy dealer and over heard talking to customer $500 for valve cleaning. Now I am wondering if this oil is going through the engine and turbo charger and dirtying up the works....have heard something about an oil tube not sure what/where this is...also say on the local Mini Facebook page about an M7 oil catch can for $100....seems maybe I should get one. Anyone have some advise??? Thanks guys!!!! Also what is "walnut cleaning"?

13. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    A burnt valve on a direct injected engine shouldn't be connected to an injector problem (or so I would think) since it injects fuel directly into the cylinder. OP, you mentioned having the injectors cleaned three times, but what about the valves (or is that what you meant)?

14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Had you read the above statement then you would know how to get Seafoam into contact with the intake valves. Also, Seafoam now makes 'a kit' which is permanently installed post inter cooler in the intake line to directly inject Seafoam into the intake and onto the intake valves. Once again, Seafoam(or Techron) can't dissolve huge chunks of carbon deposit but in conjunction with an OCC and Dual Boost Tap, clean intake valves can be kept clean. Do the walnut blast till your hearts content. With the above (and always 93 octane gas), I've never had to do it at all(now at 76kmi).

Jason

15. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That because you drive your DI car like it should be driven (like you stole it) and change your oil.