Suspension Brakes What Spring Rates do you run? Considering Koni Coilovers, Fortune 500, TSW or GC

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Spade, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I purchased my Koni coil over kit from Aaron from Outmotoring and he processed the order quickly and I received the product I ordered promptly.

After 2 years the rear springs sagged and coil-bound so looked for replacement springs. The problem is you can't swap the Koni coil over springs with another spring brand because they won't fit correctly. :mad2: The Koni coil over kits are specific to Koni. I tried and had to get new springs from Koni Europe because Koni USA does not stock replacement springs. It took 6 weeks.:mad2:

After the second set of springs failed I ripped put the whole Koni set up and got the "WMW/TSW" special KW V2 coil over setup. Out of the box they are great once you get them set up and a good alignment.

*Note * I also have Helix adjustable camber plates and they have been on the car since the Koni coil overs with no issues at all going on 6 years now.:Thumbsup:

Quality parts cost more for a reason and you get what you pay for.:idea::Thumbsup:

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #22 mini_racer, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    BTW, the KW V2s (TSW spec street/track) are 336, but the TSW V2 lowering springs are in the ~210 range ( just slightly more firm than stock, and really a good cheap street upgrade).

3. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Some good info here guys, thanks.

I'm most likely getting Koni yellows and Swift springs. Gonna look into those Helix camber plates.

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Sounds like a good choice.:Thumbsup: so you decided against coil overs?

5. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am running 10K Front and rear on BC Racing BR coild, but mine is on a Clubman. The car handles great and for any 55 model I would say 8K in the rear would be good.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    FYI here are the "Super Secret" WMW / TSW KW custom spring specs for the V1 and V2's.

I have the Texas Speedwerks KW V2 coilovers on my car.

The details I got from Texas Speedwerks:
    Front Springs: 60mm ID, 200mm length (8"), 6kgf/mm (336 lb/in) spring rate
    Rear Springs: 60mm ID, 140mm length(6"), 6kgf/mm (336 lb/in) spring rate

7. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well mainly just to be able to revert to stock class with JCW springs if I feel like it. That way I only have to change the springs. As of now it's just a back up autocrosser.

I actually heard good things about BC from one of my autocross buddies with an R56 and now a Miata. I was thinking 6K front 7K rear for me.

THUPER THECRET :crazy:

8. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I finally installed the Koni Yellows and Swift Spec R's.

They are great so far; still needs an alignment.

Only problem is the SPC front plates couldn't work with Koni's. The adjuster knob gets in the way. So until I figure something out, I won't have enough front camber.