What to do for the fall/winter

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Rixter, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #1 Rixter, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Before jumping right in and saying I should Dawn, clay, Epic, Banana, and Hydro let me explain a bit about Spike.

Brought Spike home as new, Jan 20, 2009. Since then he's done all of 2100 miles (3350 km) and had one oil change. In a typical year my car will do 4000 miles (6000 km). His home is in our covered garage so he's not loney outside like some other poor neighborhood vehicles. I live in Vancouver BC (no I can't get you Olympic tix, but I will take you out for lunch and dinner if you bring over your PC and show me the ropes). Living on the Wet Coast we're coming into our rainy season, and eventually the icy season, which also involves road salt :mad5:

In March, after my carcare stuff arrive (Prima stuff and MF stuff, and drying stuff, and lambswool wash mitts, and buckets, and everything else I could sneek past my wife into the basement), I washed, clayed, Amigo'd, Banana'd, and Hydro'd Spike (prior to that I'd just been gently washing).

So it's been a few months, but obviously Spike doesn't get out much. After a wash he still looks like new and the water beads up nicely. Paint surface is still prett good but not ultra smooth either.

So my question, finally, given how little I drive Spike, do I need to Dawn, clay, Epic, Banana, and Hydro before the winter or will a wash and Banana Gloss (and of course Hydro) be sufficient to carry me through to the spring, when I'm planning on the full treatment for Spike?

Advise please :popcorn:

Thanks a bunch!

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Unless the finish looks like it needs a complete overhaul, don't bother with the Dawn, claybar steps. I don't do a the whole process except about every other year with my Zaino products. Although they do give me a longer finish than the Prima products did.

I also got better long term results from the Epic than the Amigo when I was using the Prima stuff.

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I actually meant to say Epic not Amigo. Thanks for the feedback. So you would just apply some BG (or Zaino equivalent) for the winter?

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    My normal process is just wash normally, a new layer of Z2 (Epic) and then some Z6 (BG?). This I do about every other month or so during the summer so by winter time I have a very durable finish to get me through the worst of winter and the long time between washes.

Another great product is this from Griots. I use it every wash and even between washes to rinse off the mag. chloride from under the car that they use around here in the winter.

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Scott do you do the Z2 without clay(ing) first???

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Only about once year in the spring if I "feel" it needs it as I found that the Zaino really doesn't "hold" any real noticeable contaminants as long as I wash and wax the car regularly. With the multiple layers of Z2 on the car it really holds up very well.

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Rixter, Epic gives me about 6mo of wear for me on a everyday driver here in Missouri (using Hydro with nearly every wash)

Considering the mileage you've put on I'd wash it real well and put on a coat of BG and be done with it. Do your complete detail in March

Your call of course. OCD is a beast that must be fed! If you feel the call have at it. :D

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That is a great line!!!

Maybe I'll just give the bonnet the full spa treatment and go light on the rest of the panels. But I know once I start, there'll be no stopping me :eek:

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Have you read my detailing articles in the library, especially the "Think before you leap" article?

http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/detailing-articles-11/

You Dawn wash when you want to remove a pre-existing wax..note that Dawn doesn't effectively remove synthetic waxes, unless you repeat the process 5 or more times. Dawn removes natural carnaubas pretty well.

Secondly, if you've already waxed your car and and want to further increase the protection, just add more wax on top. Especially if you've been maintaining it with your Hydro.

Note that Amigo ISN'T a wax. Yes it has polymers, but it doesn't offer the protection that Hydro, BG, or Epic does. Just like Mystique has polymers, but I wouldn't assume it's waxing my car after I wash it.

Some people clay based on time. I determine claying based on "need". If the paint surface feels rough or bumpy after cleaning it, then I'll clay it, as long as I've got the time to properly wax it after I'm done.

If you're maintaining your paint for a garaged car, claying is probably needed at most twice a year. My first MINI was clayed once every two years because I quick detailed it every day, not letting contaminants bond to it. For a car parked outdoors, you might need to clay it every 3 to 4 months. There is no harm in claying more often.

If you want the best longevity from your wax, make sure to clay the paint first, then wax it, so the wax will stick to the paint and not to the contaminants.

Richard

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Richard,

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll wash then inspect to see how things shape up before I decide to clay or not.

BTW, in your (excellent) article "Think before you leap" you mention the steps "Inspect, Wash, Clay, Tape, Polish" and you go on to discuss each in greater detail, however the Tape step is completely missing. I know its not rocket science but I would love to know, what is that blue tape that so many detailers use? Can I just use painters tape myself? I don't think its as flexible as the "blue stuff".

You mention that you "quick detailed it every day". Aren't you the one who QD's at a stop light if you have 30 seconds to spare :lol:

Ric

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That blue tape is Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape. Many automotive uses from masking areas when detailing to track days for protection and identification. For something a little different there is green colored tape from 3M as well.

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Taping is just using the medium tack stuff painters tape found at Home Depot, Target, etc... Available from those stores are 3/4" or 1" and larger. You can find thinner stuff from special autoparts stores, but they get really expensive. I've seen $15/roll for some of the thinnest stuff.

The 3/4 or 1" rolls run around $2.75-$4 a roll. 3/4" tape conforms more easily around curves like the headlamps, but 1" covers emblems easier. The Cooper logo can be covered with a single 1" strip.

I'm not fond of the green tape. Maybe it was just the one I had, but it seemed less durable and didn't stick as well as the blue tape.

re: QD
    Yeah that was probably me. But I don't QD my JB MCS. It scratches too easily.

Richard

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For the thin tape, made it myself

Take a roll of 3/4" and place it flat. Take a utility blade with a new blade and place it flat too. The vertical distance of the handle of the utiltiy blade and the blade itself laying flat is approx 3/8" depending on your mfg.

Hold the blade firm and rotate the roll of tape on the sharp edge for several minutes making sure you are keeping fairly constant pressure. In about 5 minutes of cutting you have more than enough for around the windshield washer jets, around the hood scoop, door handles, etc. Maybe not 'perfect' but a heckuva lot cheaper and just as functional

14. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Great tip! From my model airplane days we used to strip balsa wood by gluing an Xacto blade to a piece of wood with a scrap of 1/16" wood as a spacer, then run sheets of wood through that gap to do the same thing. :D

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Well OG I owe ya a couple for all the great ones you've given me!

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Tim and Richard :Thumbsup:

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    One of the more common shop accidents involve utility knives:arf:

I think green tape has a lower tack, is less sticky. Or I could be dreaming:crazy:

Mark

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, Rixter, YOU NEED TO MOTOR MORE:smilewinkgrin:

Mark

19. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Whaaaattt!? And get Spike dirty! It runs in the family. My Mom sold her 2000 323Ci this past spring, 11000 miles (14,500 KM)!!! The guy who bought it phoned twice to confirm there wasnt a misprint in the ad :D