Whats the story behind your online handle?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TGS91, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Medical Equipment Service
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    "Commander Dan" was a nickname I used very rarely, back in the early 70's. I was in the Navy, was enlisted (!!) and once or twice, had to...yes... impersonate an officer on the phone, to get the job done correctly. That's really no excuse - I know - but here I am today, and Honorably discharged to boot!!!

2. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm a volunteer firefighter which was my inspiration. However, my wife thinks it is a reference to the fact that I am involved in way more things than many people so my a$$ is on fire. I'm a Navy reservist, volunteer firefighter, HOA board member, president of the DFW area MINI club (MetroplexMINI.org). I AX and do 4-6 DEs a year. I have to agree with her :rolleyes5:

3. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    well folks have often wondered at mine. it's my initials K G (dbl= double, U) W. If you say it out loud, then it makes sense.

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    In 1983 I purchased my first new car a VW Rabbit GTI. I wanted to get a personnalized license plate. I tried to get QWKBUNY but it was taken so I got QUIKBNY. In 2003 when I purchased my first Mini I thought it was appropriate to get QUIKMNI. I then started using quikmni as a handle.

5. sgsuperman105

sgsuperman105 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Mine was handed to me from one of the "That screenname "sgsuperman" is taken here are some suggestions." I picked 105 at the end due to it being a magic number for me.

Its my screenname pretty much anywhere I am. Youtube, the local MINI boards, the guitar boards, whatever I get on.

6. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pulled my current nom de internet from my wife's car (our only mini at the time)
    an all black '05S. Naturally when it came time to get my own I kinda had to go with a black one :D.

On other interweb portals I use SilverBullit- for my silver Golf diesel and the way I drive (like Steve McQueen in Bullit).

7. Short Bus

Short Bus New Member

May 24, 2009
    Med. to Well Done in Phx.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Self explanatory, see sig pic below...being a bit goofy helps ring true as well.

8. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    SK8BRD is a warning label.

I broke my ankle skateboarding, had to have a titanium plate and screws put in.

Then a year later, they started backing out on their own. Another surgery to remove them.

So the warning is to not go to the extremes with this vehicle like I've done with skateboards, mountain bikes, roller blades...

9. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The origins of my "handle" shall remain a mystery.

10. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Oooooh...

:)

11. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna guess this guy might have something to do with it
    [​IMG]

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    How's it workin out? :cornut:

13. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Mine was a LAN login long ago, when I worked at the same company as my Dad, who shares my first and last names (not middle, so no Junior). So... it reminds me of Dad (great guy, XC ski marathon racer at 70!) and a LAN that I no longer have to log into.

14. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ...yeah, and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinichi_Watanabe"]Shinichi Watanabe[/ame] the great anime director.

sounds pretty lame... but it's better than the old ones I used to use elsewhere and in games.

15. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My name is Mike and in school (International Relations) I was interested in Russia. Also, my brother was a Russian-English translator. In Russian, Mike is Misha or Mishka.

16. Erebus

Erebus New Member

May 19, 2009
    Bmore, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As soon as I ordered my Mini, I decided I should name it, and since I planned on blacking it out, I named it Erebus. So I stuck with that as my mini forum name.

"In Greek mythology, Erebus or Erebos or Erebes (Ancient Greek: Ἔρεβος; English translation: "deep blackness/darkness or shadow") was the son of a primordial god, Khaos, and represented the personification of darkness and shadow, which filled in all the corners and crannies of the world"

17. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    On other boards I am Checkmate2006 but on here mine was changed to Camaro by Tuls because at dinner the first night at MOTD he attempted to say my last name Comeau (pronounced Co-Mo) but said it wrong then he made a funny by going further with putting a EXTREMELY deep southern accent on it and it came to be CAMARO.

18. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    no they just wash themselves... nobody else is allowed to help :lol:

19. LightningMINI

LightningMINI New Member

May 4, 2009
    Thornton, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pretty straight forward. I have a Lightning Blue MINI and its lightning fast. LOL
    On car internet forums I usually stick to something having to do with the car, ie: on a jeep cherokee forum, I use MINIXJ!

20. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Long winded, I'm sorry.
    Originally I went by gandini. From college days when I was riding bicycles (still do) and a friend dubbed me "gandini-famous Italian cyclist". I was making bicycle frames at the time, so they got called gandini. It became my nickname and has stuck to varying degrees to this day. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned of Marcello Gandini, the famous Italian car designer (including the de Tomaso Pantera, the Bugatti EB110, the Lamborghini Miura !) No relation.
    More recently I added drPhil because I got really p'd off by that Texan charlatan quack, Phil McGraw not only because he got blessed by Oprah, but mainly because he's an ass. So I started claiming to be the Real dr Phil. Yes, he has a PhD, but he's no academic (as in the famous quote from Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Dan Quayle in 1988).
    So, that's how it came to be drPhilGandini. My email address is gandini, my website is gandini, and maybe one day I should just go back to be plain, old gandini on forums.