Most liked posts in thread: What's up with Best motor works?

1. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1

I'm an innocent lurker on this one. I'm going to get some popcorn and just watch.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Glad to help a fellow Old Fart when I can.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Wow glad I live near Helix.......:popcorn:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I trust them so much I don't know nor do I care what the rate is I just pay the bill for quality work done right everytime. :Thumbsup:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It would seem not!:lol::lol:

6. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, the only tool in my tool box is a Mont Blanc pen (to write checks with)! So, I've relied John and Anson since I've owned my MINI. Chuck turned me on to them. They've done mechanical stuff, as well as adding a bunch of after market bits and pieces. His labor costs have always been competitive and his work first rate.

When I was on one of my lets add more stuff and spend more money on my MINI kicks, he actually talked me out of adding a set of expensive drilled and slotted rotors/pads to the car. Said i didn't need them. He could have easily just done what I'd asked and banked the $$$.

Chris, it's unfortunate and frustrating that he has not performed to your standards. It happens. You can't please all of the people all of the time - I'm sure, as you well know.
    We need to know about the good and the bad.

You're an excellent and trustworthy mechanic, and as long as I'm living in Ohio no one but you, and that crazy "Scotsman" will ever work on my Rover. As for the MINI, I feel the same way about John and Anson.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No complaints here with the good folks at Best Motor Werks.:Thumbsup: They've worked on both our MINI's & have done a stellar job. They have become friends & our family MINI wrencher's. Are they cheap, no but they are good. I'm paying for good service & knowledge of MINIs, that is what I get. Well worth it for me, your mileage may vary.

I think if someone has a problem, that's not good. I know nothing of your friends problems Chris other than you saying it costs money. Let me know if you find that free MINI service place.

Maybe a man to man talk with the person you have the a problem with would go a long way to resolving their particular issue. Going away mad & then slamming that person here is IMHO not a good call. You guys are my friends, but this thread is pure chicken shirt.

And yes this thread does remind me of some old MAG thread.

8. BetaMini

BetaMini New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    eComm
    New Albany, OH
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, guess someone must have chopped down my money tree.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Love my MINI guy.......and don't care about the hourly either (I just make sure I got the funds ) :D

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I took My MCSa to Best In January at Chuck's suggestion to get my Aisin transmission checked out. MAG has stated I needed a new one, but I did not want to pay $7800 for a replacement. Then, they told me they would change the so-called "permanent" transmission fluid for "only" $900!

I made an appt. with Anson and went over. He hooked up my car to his scanner and we went for a long ride. He suggested that they change the fluid, but at a cost of $300. That was 2000 miles ago and the car has not run this well since it was new.

Needless to say, Best IS THE BEST, at least for me. My wife's MCSa as well as my Cooper cvt will be going there for new transmission fluids later this Spring.

11. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Sometimes
    Canal Winchster,Ohio
    Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad they still do good work. I'm allowed to talk about the bad work too.

I will not send anyone there anymore because it has went against my own rep.
    I will update how they resolve my guy's oil leak issue.

Sounds like someone needs to give Ansion his own shop.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I had to look this up

ATST means "At The Same Time"

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Dave, the people that have mentioned issues with them have talked to them about the issues.

You trash the F56 and MINI isn't here to defend itself. :D 1st amendment in action and I shall defend it.

14. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1

I have Auto Assets in Powell do my suspension mods. Having a race team they know what is required. Just my .02

15. BetaMini

BetaMini New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    eComm
    New Albany, OH
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't Anson be the one diagnosing the issue? I have had one issue with Best, and he made it right - beyond my expectation.

I continue taking both MINIs there, and trust Anson will do great work.

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've not had any issues at all. Anson has done stellar work on my car.

17. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Sometimes
    Canal Winchster,Ohio
    Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    #12 Crankshaft, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

Plain and simple, I have been sending mini people to best on the recommendation of people here. They are not looking for free service but expect to have the work they pay for done. And yes these people are having the face to face about the lack of service.

I had to go today to check a car that continued to leak oil after a $4000 repair at best. The car went In for the oil leak and was sold a bunch of other stuff.
    Maybe just and oversight.
    I would love to hear recent good reports of work done there. But for now I will not recommend anyone.

18. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I love my MINI guy too, 'cause he's me! :Thumbsup:

19. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Sometimes
    Canal Winchster,Ohio
    Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I forgot.

Bite me Mark!

20. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My experience with Best Motor Werks is limited to the last 12 months, in that time I’ve been happy with the service received. John has always been available to answer my many questions but ATST deferred anything specific to his mechanic [Anson]. In that time they’ve changed my oil, swapped some aftermarket lights and replaced timing chain.

Unpacking the bulbs Anson dropped one that required a replacement. They adjusted the bill so I ended up coming out ahead. Several months later one burnt out and they popped in the replacement I had N/C [Goodyear wanted $80]. When I developed a coolant leak John walked me through the process of “flushing†the system so the heater functioned. Instead of pushing a repair he suggested I could keep an eye on it and if I kept losing coolant to bring it in [knock on wood so far].

When the timing belt was replaced I was about due for an oil change and he threw that in N/C. Next scheduled work is routine service which coupled with a brake flush he reduced the cost if done ATST.

While I do not have a long history with them I have no complaints with the service and no surprises with pricing or time needed to complete the work.