Most liked posts in thread: Whats up with the Google Logo today? 9/7

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    even odder - I am running Chrome and it appears normal (both the google and igoogle site)

2. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    First day back from labor-day work procrastination tool? :lol:

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    It is a count down. The aliens attack when it reaches 0.

It's been real. :sosp:

4. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Somebody on the radio said it's Google's 12th birthday.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the source code for the page it is massive...very unGoogle like...

6. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    According to news reports on it, it's to showcase HTML5 capabilities. Very cool and not FLASH!

7. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
  8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Mine isn't doing that....:cryin:

9. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it's anti flash, shame it doesn't work on my iPad!

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I had an issue with Google for almost a week. Everytime I went to it, it would tell me that my cookies weren't enabled(Firefox on my Mac)...yet I use Google for everything...constantly searching it, and yes my cookies were enabled. Actually forced me to use Yahoo for searching, and it sucked.

Anyhow, I took drastic measures and looked at my saved cookies and deleted all the ones that were from Google, and that solved the problem. I saw what Nathan saw as well.

Richard

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My buddy in Germany....

spent most of the day playing with it instead of finishing the new firmware for the Top Commander! So it's not just US and Brittain....

Matt

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Us up here in the frozen north don't get to see the new image. Can somebody post a screen capture

13. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check the Gizmodo link above, even has video!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goektR-3oB8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Google Interactive Colour Balls[/ame]

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    For the second time in as many days, Google has a new, interactive mystery logo on its home page.

The logo starts out grey; the letters light up as you type text into the search box.

This is widely speculated to be a hint at one thing we should expect from Google's big search event later today: streaming search results.

For the past few weeks, some users have been seeing search results that update as the user types. This isn't simply Google Suggest which suggests search queries as you type; instead, the full results page appears as soon as you start typing, and updates as you add more text.

After seeing the new logo, we'd be surprised if Google didn't talk about this at the event

From SFGate

15. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yup, looks like we have streaming searches now. Not sure it's a worthwhile feature...but maybe it will come in handy down the road.

16. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    its all a decoy to draw our attention away from their agreement with VZ on net neutrality (or lack thereof)

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Streaming Search sure is interesting from a web master point of view. I've been reading articles all evening that say it does nothing to SEO efforts to it will kill all SEO efforts made by those looking to game the system. Most all say it does level the playing field somewhat and it rewards actual content over well placed key phrases only put in place to attract Google Bots.

The end user has a bit more control over what is displayed as well, web history and personalized results will flow into Google Instant making your own searches more relevant to items you tend to search for.

One can also turn off the Instant Search feature for a session or all the time in your account settings. Not Safe For Work content is filtered. Queries that may be considered offensive or lewd don’t work in Google Instant. In these cases, Google stops showing search predictions and search results, and instead displays a “Press Enter to search” message below the search box.

I'll certainly be watching the sites analytics to monitor for changes. Google will be holding an online seminar soon to discuss how Google Instant may impact content publishers. Already registered. However from all that I've been reading this should not impact M/A at all as I've used "White Hat" SEO techniques endorsed by Google when optimizing this sites SEO. I.E. No paid for placements over 1000's of BS sites only created to provide a repository from back links.

The SEO landscape hopefully is changing for the better where smaller publishers that have quality content can go toe to toe with the giants out there.

18. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SEO?

Biggest issue for me right now; I almost never go to Google.com to do searches. I use the search bar ... also, it doesn't work on the iPad, which is where at home I do 90%+ of my web activity!

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    SEO - Search Engine Optimization

20. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I'd gladly welcome anything that successfully did that. It was getting to the point where the first two pages were complete spam and totally unrelated to your actual search simply because they had all the phrases hidden somewhere.