Wheel Bearing / Hub...OUCH!!!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Sideways, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Well, my week has started off some what sorded...Yesterday as I was in the process of switching the Summers for Winters I had a little trouble getting one of the front wheel studs off (Front Passenger)...I frickn well snapped it off...it was so tight that I litterally snapped it off with my bare hands...

It is not as if I was being overly rough, and I certainly did not over torque the studs when I installed new brake pads earlier this year. Upon talking to one of the head wrenches here at MINI Durham, I was enlightened to the fact that aftermarket studs have a tendency to stretch / corrode / cross-thread after prolonged use. This just so happens to correspond with the fact that when rotating the tires they were harder and harder to get off.

Picture017.jpg

My MINI went on the lift at 11:30 am...and it took all day to try and get the broken bolt out...nothing worked
    Picture022.jpg Picture018.jpg

This season seemed to be all that the studs could bare and I broke not only this one, but one on the rear drivers side when I was replacing my rear brakes.

So $500 on wheel bearings and hubs later (all parts at cost and ZERO labor)I have learned an expensive lesson about aftermarket wheel studs.

If I have any advice, it would be to be proactive and toss any aftermarket studs... The cost for them do not justify the cost of having to replace a perfectly good wheel bearing / hub.

Picture024-1.jpg

I have since tossed these in the trash...they dont justify being recycled...

A

2. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Did they try welding on a leverage bar to the snapped end? Not even sure if that would work, but it seems like it would grip better than a pair of vise grips.

I have aftermarket longer bolts. They've never failed to come out cleanly.

3. CanyonChaser

CanyonChaser New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a great reminder to put some anti-seize on the studs whenever you remove the wheels. Prevents this problem.

dp

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    i'll second that

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Arghh, this has been driving me nuts....

These are lug bolts y'all are talking about in this thread, not studs.

OK, I feel better now...

And a little anti-seize on the studs helps the lug nuts go one and come off better, and I mean a little...just enough to barely cover.

6. TT_Zop

TT_Zop Club Coordinator

May 26, 2009
    Machinist
    Flint,TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Check out that lift!!! Wow I want one!!!

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    My garage WILL have a lift... after I pay for the other $50K worth of things I couldn't afford that I already bought.
    :arf: