Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Wheel Poll! Summer/track wheel opinions wanted.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'll never ever buy used wheels for track wheels again. You have no idea what they may have gone through before you get them. I did it once and one of the wheels broke mid corner.

I'd pick the Enkei RPF1 in 16"

2. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    The bronze TE37's would look amazing, however I echo what Nathan says on used wheels; they're generally a bad idea unless you know exactly who had them and their history. Sooo, I vote for the RFP1's using a Kumho XS 215/45-16

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    225-45-16 is mo-better though (if you can find it).

I'd rock the 17" TE37's with a 215/40/17

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh I'd be all over the TE37's if they were not used or if I was only going to use them on the street.

5. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    yeah, but he's running street tires which SEVERELY limits cornering/braking loads.

6. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, realistically I should consider this car will mainly be a street car.

I think that the car will be limited to MOTD-type events and backroad twisties for at least the next 12 months.

The pulley puts it in SM, so if/when I ever try to AutoX it seriously, I will probably get some R-comps on different wheels, possibly a 15" depending on BBK or not. I'll probably only run 2 autocross on this set, if that.

The most likely option for actual "track" duty will be a BMWCCA event or HPDE, but even then, I need to be realistic and put that at least 12 months out.

It's great to envision all the track-days I'll be tearing up, but I have a lot going on right now and the weeks/months/year disappear before you know it.

7. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Would you be all over the 16" Volks if they were $875 delivered if the source is guaranteeing them straight and never damaged/repaired? :shocked:

I know you never really know, but at that price I might be willing to take a chance, if only for a pure-street wheel. There is a place in town that does low-temp powdercoating that frequently has specials for satin black at $100 a set.

It's getting awfully tempting for 12lb wheels!

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Whats the phone # of the source please :devil:

9. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :nonod:

I'll take that as a yes. :lol:

10. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, told the guy I wanted them. Trigger has been pulled.

They are 16x7 4x100, +42 offset. (same spec listed on TireRack for R53)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the S-heavies I read are et50. So my nused Volks will be 8mm more towards the outside of the car, no? More flush/wider track? Like the 16x7 TE37 in PGT's Wheelfinder entry? (no offset listed in specs)

11. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I believe mine were ET42 as well. If you're car is lowered, it will look perfect (stock offset is inset too much when lowered)

12. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    oh, and what color are they? yore pole says black...didn't know if that's how they come or you meant post-powdercoating. If you're getting them powdercoated, ask the shop to pay careful attention to temps...keep them as low as possible to get the job done. Forged wheels are heat-treated for strength and powdercoating can cycle this.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    YES!!!

I'll second this excellent recommendation!

14. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, thanks for the excellent advice. I mentioned low-temp powdercoating in the post, but it is excellent to double-check.

They are currently the LE. Grey with polished lip. Personally, I think grey with polished lip looks good on EB, like Healeys car over at NAM with the SSR's. That said, I don't want them on my car and I love black wheels.

If I cannot find someone to local to low temp them, I will just have them painted satin black. I'll leave the stickers off and tell everyone they're Rotas... :D

15. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    who's selling them? PlayPlay? He has a set but I don't recall what size they were

16. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nah, don't think so. Not a mini guy.

I have a friend of mine that had a ridiculously nice JDM-swapped 00 Civic Si coupe painted Benz silver with black "true" Spoons (Regas). One of the guys he knows has a set.

Say WORD!

Now I gotta figure out where to get the hubcentric rings and which lugs to use. PGT, did you have to get tapered lugs? Haven't looked at the stock Mini ones yet.

17. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have some leftover McGard Splinedrive lugs for the MINI (in black).