Where is the audible alarm generator for low tire pressure warning?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by martinb, Feb 26, 2018.

1. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have an '06 first gen Mini, full JCW, and I've now had another warning of low tire pressure come on and not been aware of it. I was on the freeway with the top down, couldn't hear the alarm, and only when I happened to notice the warning light when I changed direction so the sun wasn't on the dash did I notice it. I ruined two new tires that ran for an extended time at 18 psi and 11 psi. (Actually the tire installer's fault, but that's a different story.)

I'd like to find out where the audible warning signal thingy is located so I can tap into the wiring and hook up something that will be louder. I have a Screamer (amplifies the sound from a radar detector for motorcycle use) and I'd like to hook that up so next time I get a warning, I'll be made aware of it immediately.

Thanks much!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is an audio warning on 1st Gen cars?

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I recommemnd checking/adjusting your tire pressure once every 2 to 4 weeks.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    If it's like the seat belt dinger, it's sounded thru the speakers and you can't disable it, I don't believe there is a relay that makes the noise.

5. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's my understanding. It's mentioned in the owners manual. I just want to find out where it's located so I can tap into it and connect a "Screamer" which is a sound amplifier for radar detectors on motorcycles. With the top down, I can't hear the audible alarm and I've missed an early warning of low tire pressure twice now. The first time was a puncture on the freeway on a set of tires that had only 150 miles on them. 'Ruined the tire because the top was down and I couldn't hear the alarm. Then, just this past week, I had four new Michelin Super Sports installed and on a drive up to South San Francisco from San Jose (45 miles), they all lost pressure. By the time I noticed the light on the dash, I'd been running on 11 psi and 18 psi for who knows how long. The left side tires were at 32 and 36, also too low considering that I run 38 front and 36 rear. Left front was only 32 when it should have been closer to 42 from being hot. left rear was 36 and that's where I set it but it, too, should have been higher due to running temp increase. Right front was 18, down from 38 cold, and right rear was down to 11 from 36 cold. Michelin is replacing all the tires for me but I want to figure out to get a better warning setup. The problem with the convertible is that wind noise blocks out the audible alert and sunlight shining on the dash makes it very difficult to notice a light coming on. It wasn't until I made a 90 degree turn in direction transitioning from one freeway to another that I saw the light. I want something loud to make itself really known, but I first need to figure out where the little thingy that makes the audible noise is located.

And I check my tire pressures often. And always do a visual inspection of all four before I drive. Habit because I don't run runflats. I run Michelin Super Sports which work really well on the street dry and wet and also work really well on the track. And I get decent mileage with them. I got nearly 23,000 miles on my last set compared to maybe 12,000 on Ventus V12 Evo's. And if I didn't rotate tires front to back, the Ventus V12's were done by 8000 miles.

Cheers!

6. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    'Don't want to disable it, I want to tap into the signal that triggers the sound. And I'm pretty sure it's not done through the sound system. I know there's at the very least a relay that is part of the system. I found it on the wiring schematic, but I haven't located it's physical position in the car. I have a pdf of the entire service manual so I'm going to have to go through that in detail. I was hoping someone on one of the Mini forums would know the info.

7. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Copy/past from the '06 owners manual:

"The warning lamp indicates a flat tire or a system malfunction. In the event of a flat tire, an acoustic signal also sounds."

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    I don’t think I have ever heard it on my Gen1 S. Then aging I don’t hear to well. The bad thing is it does not read pressure. It’s just looking at tire rotation rate, so if you reset the system with one tire low you won’t know. Sorry I am not more help.

9. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If I had a hardtop, I'd likely be able to hear it. I think I've heard it before, but since I drive mostly with the top down, I've got wind noise to mask the audio and sunlight to make seeing the light difficult. The Screamer would be a great option to hook up.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Is it the same beep sound that one hears when the temp is low outside?

If so, then I still have no idea where the sound emanates.

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Warnings and other sounds (turn signal click, door chime, etc) come from a small speaker in back of the speedometer. It is soldered directly on the circuit board and might be tricky to tap into.

[​IMG]

12. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm.....I may have to find that relay instead.

I have a CD with the complete service manual on it, but I can't find the darn thing. 'Anyone know where I might download the service manual for an '06?

13. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #13 rkw, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Which relay are you talking about, that you saw in the wiring diagram? Do you have a relay number (should be a letter and number, like K23).

Tire pressure warning should be all-electronic, involving no relays at all. In the 1st gen, low pressure is detected indirectly by monitoring the ABS wheel sensors and a warning is generated when a wheel is spinning faster than expected.

BTW, online repair manual and wiring diagrams are here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/. The wiring diagrams are interactive and you can usually click to go to a diagram that shows the location in the car of a connector or component.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Does the screamer sound like this?:D

• Like Like x 1