2nd Gen JCW Where The Heck Am I going To Mount A OCC On My MINI?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Metalman, May 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Which hasn't happened yet(2yrs). Every object in the universe will hold until it doesn't.:Thumbsup:

Jason

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be concerned about the plastic tab breaking, but you obviously are, couldn't you just build a metal bracket, reinforcing the little plastic tab on the firewall? That spot is a real convenient place to mount a catch can. I mounted my BSH Oil Catch Can there two years ago and it is just fine. Even if the plastic tab does break, the hoses to the can will prevent it from going anywhere and then I'd just make a metal bracket to go in the same place and remount it.

Dave

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just as long as...... If and when the plastic tab breaks off, it doesn't inject a slug of "Dino Snot" into a 20,000 rpm compressor wheel.....

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    As I said, the hoses will prevent the can from moving, in the unlikely event that the plastic tab breaks. I check my oil catch can every couple of weeks and have never found enough goop in there that it could get into the turbo, unless the can were inverted, which couldn't happen if the plastic tab were to break, there just isn't enough room in that engine bay for the oil catch can to get inverted by accident.

Dave

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So, if I don't hang the OCC from the wimpy plastic tab..... Where the heck am I going to hang it?????

6. LASRGUY

LASRGUY New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Laser Scientist
    Newbury Park, CA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #26 LASRGUY, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I made a small bracket to hang mine as shown above. It fits under a bend in the intake plumbing. See below.
    [​IMG]

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    My tank is quite a bit larger..... I'm guessing twice as large..... Lots of filter area, lots of surface area..... Gotta let the oil laden fumes slow down and coalesce on all those tiny screen packs that are stacked in there.....
    Im thinking a pry bar or some kinda bar to create room somewhere to get my OCC wedged in there..... That plastic tab sure looks inviting.... But here in Ohio, we do get some cold weather.... Brittle little wimpy plastic tabs..... Snapping, dangling catch cans.... Banging bumping catch cans...... Hmmmmmm.... Not a pretty thought.....
    Gotta get my tank in there somehow...... Someway.....:(

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #28 Jason Montague, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
    :cornut: Hang it in your............oh(!) never mind. I forgot that MA is a clean and friendly site.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

:cornut: BSH OCC has all of that in a smaller package and it seems that a lot of us advice givers all have the BSH OCC. Available from DOS right here on MA, easily fits in our MINIs, so I wonder why you bought that refrigerator to try and shoe horn into your engine bay? Not a personal attack.......I just wonder why?:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I haven't been much help MM, my owning a justa and all, but now that there is an "S" in the family, I'll go out and look around under the bonnet for a location. :Thumbsup:

Jim

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welp......
    #1 When I bought it, the BSH OCC wasn't available...... Been sitting on my desk for a long time, wondering were it was going to fit..... Got tard of looking at it and decided I was going to pound that can in there somewhere.....

#2 Small can has a limit to surface area..... Large can has the ability of adding many more layers of surface area without necessarily increasing the pressure drop. You want the oil laden air to have a chance to attach to the filter screens (no steel wool in this can). When the fumes enter a large container the velocity slows down and fumes have a longer dwell time to attach and separate from the air. An analogy; If your MINI had a bigger front end.... You might be hitting a lot more raccoons.....:eek:

Besides, in retrospect.... if everyone is using the same OCC, there is no comparison to better or worse???:ihih:

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That's good enough for me. Your logic sounds good.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I was waiting for the right oppertunity.....and if you wait long enough.....

Now Chuck we all now that your MINI, as mine never sees that cold weather as its tucked away in the warm cacoon until the warm spring sun shines again.... :)

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah but.....
    I was wondering how long it was going to take for that slip to pop up......:D

My other option is to just "eBay It", but where is the challenge to that?

I mean..... After all, I'm putting together my own "DeCarbon Master Blaster" outfit that I'll be able to remove the buildup on the intake valves when ever I want....:ihih:

14. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    But then you have to permanently install that so that's two places you now need. :devil:

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Chuck many folks have given you wonderful ideas. You can't go wrong with the front bumper mount. :crazy:

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The OCC slows the carbon buildup down but doesn't totally eliminate it.... Don't think there is a PCV catch system that is 100% effective, unless it dumps the fumes outside the engine. Mother nature and the Federales don't like that.....

The other is the "walnut method" and is not attached as it's a routine maintenance procedure that removes the carbon (the same procedure that MINI uses).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Had a little free time today......

Chopped up my OCC.... I guess I modded my mod......:D
    Took out 1-1/2" of can height, put it back together and added my brackets and mounts....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to suspend it from my strut tower brace.
    [​IMG]

Tight fit, but still clears everything in the general vicinity....
    [​IMG]

Now I need to get some hoses and still need to make a few fittings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My next suggestion was going to be on the outside of the bonnet. Makes it REAL easy to clean, then... :Thumbsup:

Nice work, but I think you had that planned all along. :D

19. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Very nice job. You realize a bunch of people on this site are headed to the basement to copy your idea. :lol:

On a serious note, I thought you wanted the extra surface area that OCC had.

Jim

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Chuck, you are the man! So when will you have them available to the public ;-)