2nd Gen JCW Where The Heck Am I going To Mount A OCC On My MINI?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Metalman, May 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The surface area that I didn't change was the stack of perforated plates that reside in the space between the two tube fittings. That's the heart of the OCC where all of the contact with the oily fumes take place. The part I cut down was only the holding tank that collects the Dino snot. It's still plenty large enough to hold the effluent. I can check the level easily with the integrated dip stick.

2. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Thanks.... No desire to market them.... I do this just for fun....:D

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well, you bring up an interesting thought....
    Do you try and put the OCC in a cooler (airflow) spot that allows better condensation to take place. That will certainly fill up the tank fast with a mixture of oil and water distillates.

The problem with that is the risk you run with the water portion icing up in the winter if you live in a cold area of the country. A plugged OCC / PCV system can damage your engine.....

I decided to go with a warm location close to the engine.... I'm really not trying to collect the water vapor (yeah, it looks great in the pictures of what has been collected by various OCC manufacturers). But here's the thing, I'm only interested in removing the oily fumes that are building up as carbon on the intake valves. The last time I checked H2O doesn't contain a carbon molecule. So, I'm fine with the water vapors passing through the system....:D

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Your reasoning seems sound and the workmanship is top notch, as always. Shortening the holding area should cause no problems.

If they still had ful service gas stations, you could tell the person to "check my oil and my OCC please".:D

Jim

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #45 Metalman, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    The hoses I used with my install are EPDM which have great resistance to oil products as far as reacting and breaking down over time. The problem that I addressed today had to do with the hose starting to collapse as it forms itself laying over the rigid turbo intake tube.

Soooo...
    I picked up a SS spring sized to the ID of my OCC EPDM tubing and slipped it inside the full length.... Now my tubing has a reinforced inner structure and the issue with the tubing collapse is resolved....

Adding the SS spring...
    [​IMG]

Installed....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0