Where to race? How to get started.

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by MiniHockey, Oct 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I live on the central coast of Cali. Where could I race auto X , how do I get started, and where can I find more info on the different classes.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Check out the local SCCA region & the local BMWCCA group for a start. I'm sure someone local to you will chime in with the place to go.

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Definetly check out the SCCA, but when you go for the first time don't get deterred because of the SCCA classing for your car. SCCA doesn't class the MINI well when they are modded. Go to have fun, alot of the SCCA people are real competitve.

4. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I just completed my first year of Auto crossing. I agree with what everyone is saying about the BMW club and SCCA. What I want to add is that when you first start it can seem overwhelming. The SCCA in particular might not seem helpful, plus figuring out where the course is. Keep trying, you will make friends and the driving will begin to come. Ask someone who knows what they are doing to let you ride along with them, and have them go with you. You can get your competitive juices running, and have a great time, but you will have a steep learning curve at first.

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    For the BMWCCA your local chapter is the Golden Gate Chapter.
    The chapters webpage is BMW CCA - Golden Gate Chapter
    The San Luis Obispo representative for the Golden Gate Chapter is:
    Dennis Harrold
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone #: 805.266.9214

I believe the BMWCCA GGC holds Auto-Xs at Marina, CA.
    The ggcbmwcca webpage has a link to classes.

The other Central Coast Auto-X that I know about is held in Lompoc, CA by the Vapor Trail Vettes. Last year they held 3 Auto-Xs in Lompoc. They use a relatively small parking lot so they consider the Auto-Xs to be low speed. The two that I attended where 1st and 2nd gear courses.
    The Vapor Trail Vettes Auto-Xs only put the Corvettes into classes. All other cars run in the Open class. Thus, it is pretty low key and a fun Auto-X to start at because you are not running in a specific class so you are really just trying to improve your own time. Also there is usually only about 35 cars. Both times I went we got 10 runs which is great for learning and improving.

Depending on how far you want to drive a couple organizations have had Auto-Xs at the Camarillo Airport. I heard the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and a Corvair club held Auto-Xs there this last year.
    The Ventura County Corvairs website is:
    Ventura County Corvairs
    From their calendar it looks like they held 2 Auto-Xs in the last year.
    Here is a link to the Santa Barbara region of PCA:
    PCASB Home
    Looks like PCA held 2 in Camarillo and 1 in Santa Barbara (I think at the fairgrounds) during the past year.

6. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes BMWCCA, SCCA, and UFO hold their Auto-X events at Marina near Monterey, CA.